Sunday, October 25, 2009

So nothing really exciting or new has been happening in our lives. Just the same old stuff. Since it's disease-fest around here, I haven't taken Brooke to the Rec Center for a long time & we've been spending a lot of time indoors.

My visiting teachers brought me these cute pumpkins the other day. I thought it was a cute, easy gift idea
Blake went hunting last week and killed a deer. Nothing big as far as antlers go, but it's meat in the freezer. If deer/elk meat is marinated properly or hidden in fajitas or stew it's actually not bad.

Brooke and I went to a Halloween party on Wednesday (pictures to come). I had to bring a Halloween treat, so following my sister's wise advice I made Halloween themed cupcakes using a spice cake mix and cream cheese frosting with candy corn pumpkins on top (FYI: the Duncan Hines brand of cream cheese frosting is not nearly as good as the Pillsbury brand). I was at the store buying supplies and I thought I had white cupcake wrappers at home. Come to find out all I had at the house was 4th of July themed wrappers. Then, when I went to put them on a paper plate to take to the party all I had was Christmas themed paper plates. Oh well, I never said I was Martha Stewart.

Brooke has been doing some funny things lately. I got this Little People Playhouse, but figured Brooke was still too young to really play with it. I kept it in the closet with some other toys that are too big for her. One day she crawled over to it and realized there is a button you can push that makes a dog barking sound. She loves to push the button over and over. Finally I got it out of the closet for her to play with. But what really captures her attention is finding a piece of lint or stray hair on the carpet. She will roll over onto her back and hold up her hand so she can see it and just stare at it for the longest time.
Usually I can put her in her room and it's big enough for her to play with her toys and crawl around in. I love that her room is the only room in the house where I don't have to worry about what she'll get into--everything is baby safe for her. Well now Brooke has decided to make her escape...This is not a very exciting post, but things have been pretty low-key around here!

8 comments:

Nicole said...

how symbolic of children leaving the safe haven of our homes and heading out into the big big world in search of entertainment that may or may not be safe for them or approved by parents. The fact that her bedroom opens up into the TV room upstairs makes this metaphor even more appropriate!

You can laugh at me if you want to.

Hoenes Family said...

I am all for low-key! Can't wait to see the Halloween pics. I love the cute decorated pumpkins your VT's brought. What a cute idea!

Chavonne said...

Those pumpkins are cute! I may have to get some elk/deer recipes from you.

Carolyn said...

cute pumpkins! I loved your Reality Check post a couple of days ago. It totally made me laugh.

Ryanne said...

It really makes me laugh imagining Brooke holding up the lint or stray hair. It makes me think of Olivia's 'mermaids'! And your Halloween cupcakes-very funny. I'm glad you went the cheap route. I was going to ask about Blake's hunt. Stew with deer meat sounds really yummy for the fall. We had friends in ID who he loved to hunt but they weren't huge fans of the meat. We definitely benefited from that arrangement!

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

I had to laugh at the holiday mix-up decorative paper gear! Only at my parents house can you find lots of holiday paper goods...my mom always bought different things for different holidays, the Grands loved it...but I know what it feel like to find something that doesn't coordinate. I sure do miss those moments of family dinners with miss matched everything. I'll never take that for granted again. I miss them so much!

Kolbi Young said...

Glad to hear that the cupcakes worked out.....Hey they said to bring a "holiday" themed cake, but maybe didn't specify which holiday!

Isn't it funny about buying toys that they'll grow into - kind of like clothes that will one day fit!? I was at Costco and HAD to buy this English/Spanish speaking toy, even though it was for 18+ months. Yes, my husband thought I was crazy. I just know that one day Ryker will love it ;)

Our ABC Family said...

Low key can be very nice! :) Its sure been fun to see you guys and hang out! Hopefully we can do it more often! I'm with you about not getting out too much because of all the sickness and such going around. We do what we can right?