Steamboat Springs, CO. It's a typical touristy ski town kind of like Park City complete with a natural hot springs, lots of funky shops on main street, trails to hike and parks to play in. Our first stop was to hike the Fish Creek waterfall trail

It was kind of windy if you couldn't tell :)
After the hike we were feeling hot & Brooke was sick of riding in the car & being carried on the trail , so we went back to the hotel & went for a swim. Traveling mid-week was so nice, there weren't any crowds anywhere we went and we had the pool area to ourselves all afternoon. We ate at this restaurant called "The Oar House". It is a 100 year old barn now converted restaurant--it had a cool atmosphere and even yummier food.We decided to go for a walk along the Yampa River trail to work off the big portions we had just eaten. The trail backs up to this gorgeous 6 acre botanical garden
Then it was time for Brooke to get her wiggles out at a nearby park
She was perfectly content with the little slide until daddy showed her something better:
The next day we rode this:
To the top of the mountain. At first I think Brooke was just amazed that we were moving and she wasn't buckled in
Then she realized we were high up and was glued to the window
The views from the top were incredible!
We went on another hike at the top and just as we were getting to ready to leave I was attacked by a ferocious caterpillar! It all started when I put my jacket down on the grass so we could take this picture:
When I picked it back up I draped it over my arm and could feel something stinging me. I thought maybe it was an ant or something so I lifted my jacket to see. Inside was the biggest, fattest, furriest caterpillar I had ever seen! I don't know what it did to me, but my skin reacted the same way it does to stinging nettle: burns like crazy then blisters. I had to go ask the restaurant for some ice to put on my caterpillar wound (I'm sure they thought I was crazy).
We had tons of fun doing familiar things in a different city. It was the perfect mid-week getaway.
To the top of the mountain. At first I think Brooke was just amazed that we were moving and she wasn't buckled in
Then she realized we were high up and was glued to the window
The views from the top were incredible!
We went on another hike at the top and just as we were getting to ready to leave I was attacked by a ferocious caterpillar! It all started when I put my jacket down on the grass so we could take this picture:
When I picked it back up I draped it over my arm and could feel something stinging me. I thought maybe it was an ant or something so I lifted my jacket to see. Inside was the biggest, fattest, furriest caterpillar I had ever seen! I don't know what it did to me, but my skin reacted the same way it does to stinging nettle: burns like crazy then blisters. I had to go ask the restaurant for some ice to put on my caterpillar wound (I'm sure they thought I was crazy).We had tons of fun doing familiar things in a different city. It was the perfect mid-week getaway.
16 comments:
Way fun!!! Looks like you had a nice little get away! Sure is a pretty little town!
Wow! You sure know how to put together a nice trip. Especially for last minute. Looks like a fun exploration! That's awesome that you got to get that in before school starts. It's just around the corner.
Spontaneous trips are the best and often times the funnest! I have never been to Steamboat, but have always wanted to go. Is it really 3 miles from your house or did you mean 3 hours? I am guessing the latter :) What a fun trip. Brooke is getting so big! I loved the videos of her singing. So cute. I am jealous that you guys get to go on a boat all of the time! You can facebook this answer to me, but I am wondering where you got your baby carrier for hiking? Does it hurt your shoulders? How much did it cost?
Wow! Looks like you had a fantastic spontaneous trip! Ron & I will have to look into going down to Steamboat Springs some weekend!! Need to experience everything while we're here!!!
Ok, that sounds like such a great time. Except for the caterpillar incident of course, yikes. What a fun way to wrap up your summer!
See, it is all about those little bugs! They are ferocious! Nothing like that in Alaska btw. I love Colorado! Better scope out cool (cheap) places to stay for Steve's wedding. Looks like fun you guys!
I didn't even know you had a blog....glad to know so we can stay better in touch! I will add you to my link list! Your little vacation looked so fun! :) Totally off subject but how is your brother Steve?
How fun. And how lucky you are to only be three hours away from Steamboat! Next time you are looking for an adventure, you should go down to Glenwood Springs. I think that would be about three hours away too.
It looks like you had a blast! That botanical garden was amazing! I love that picture of Brooke below this post in the Yankees hat. Absolutey adorable!
I love those kinds of get-a-ways. We need to do those more often :) I can't believe the wound the caterpillar left - for some reason I thought they were friendly....you know "The Hungry Caterpillar" book. Ha! Now I know.
And I have to tell you, since I saw the video of Brooke singing the "Bumble Bee" song, I started singing it to Ryker and he is hooked! I had completely forgotten about that tune, but I've been on repeat for the last week. So thanks for the new entertainment :)
What a fun week and what remembrances from a few years ago. We are so happy you could go east and enjoy the beauties of Colorado. The scenery is great but those in front of the pictures are better. Little Brooke looks so content. What a great time together. Thanks for sharing your excursion. Now she is getting older, you will be able to do more of this. Love you three! Thanks
Wow! That is fun maybe we need a spontaneous trip.
That looks like so much fun! I didn't know that place existed - we will have to go try it out sometime! I'm glad you got to get away for a last hurrah before school!!
And I hope the caterpillar burn gets better soon! How weird!
Looks like fun! Brooke is a little dare devil on that big ol' slide!
a perfect ending to a summer! looks like fun.
Post a Comment