It's true what they say that every labor and delivery is different for each child. Brooke was a textbook case: woke up with contractions, they got harder as the day went on, checked into the hospital around midnight and Brooke was born around 11 am.
With Porter, it was totally different. First of all, I felt like I was in labor with him for days. When I went to my last Dr's appointment and found out I was dialated to a 4 already, I was determined to get this boy here. I went walking everyday, I started drinking raspberry leaf tea, and I made a smoothie out of a pineapple core in hopes things would get started. No luck. On Monday night I started getting pretty intense contractions while I was sleeping. I thought for sure this was it, but as the day went on, they went away. Same thing happened on Tuesday night. The contractions were so bad that everytime I would move in my sleep they would start up again so intense that I was in serious pain, but then as I laid still they would go away. If I would move again, they would start back up. On Wednesday night the same thing happened and I didn't know what to do. I was paranoid of not getting to the hospital in time if I kept putting it off. The contractions were pretty consistent at 10 minutes apart and very intense. I told Blake I thought we should probably check into the hospital. We dropped Brooke off at his parents and got to the hospital a little after 7:30. The nurse checked me and I was dialted to a 5. They hooked me up to monitors and after an hour my contractions really weren't getting closer together so they started me on pitocin around 8:45. I had heard different stories about people being put on this and was kind of nervous and wondered if I was in for a whole day of waiting.

By 10:30 they checked me again and I was at a 6. I asked for my epidural because the contractions were very close and I was in pain. At 11:15 I was checked again and was at an 8. Still no epidural. By this time I thought I was going to die. Super intense contractions every 2 minutes. Finally the dr came to give me my epidural. He had me get into the most uncomfortable position and I was just praying for it to be fast and over with so I could relax. It took the dr. almost 20 minutes to get the epidural in. He put it in once and hit a blood vessel so the tube filled with blood. He had to take it out and try again. By this time I am crying and holding onto Blake because I was in so much pain. I was praying that this time it would take because I could not imagaine delivering natural. Finally he got it in and I was able to lay back down and once the epidural kicked in I was in heaven! Meanwhile, the time it took for the dr. to put the epidural in and the two contractions I had after it, made it so I was dialated to a 10 and ready to push.
I started pushing around 11:45 and my delivery dr, Dr B., noticed that the baby was face up--making it so the biggest part of his head was coming out first. I ended up pushing for an hour and a half to get his head out. Everyone in the room was super supportive, cheering me on. After 30 minutes or so the Dr. B explained that we might have to use a vacuum if he wasn't going to come out. Then after I pushed a couple more times, he said, "Nope! You've got this! You are just going to muscle him out!" I was so relieved that we weren't going to have to use a vacuum and even more relieved that I couldn't feel anything. Everyone in the room said how painful trying to deliver a "sunny-side up" baby was naturally. Amazingly, during the long process of pushing the baby turned himself so by the time he emerged, he was facing down. He was also super wrapped up in his cord. It was around his middle and came up diagonally across his chest and up by his neck. It was also the longest cord Dr. B said he had ever seen.
And at 1:15pm he was here!



If you have ever delivered a baby, I am sure you know the drill: during pushing you lean forward, hold onto these bars, tuck your chin and push. After doing that for an hour and a half, of hard pushing, my whole upper body was sore and shaking. Imagine doing rowing exercises for that long. Even a few days later, I am still sore and can't lift my arms above my head.



Brooke was able to come visit us later that night. She immediately climbed into bed with me and wanted to hold her baby brother.


I had the best experience at our small town hospital. The nurses were wonderful, the food was good, the rooms were nice and comfortable and I can't say enough about Dr. B. He stayed with me almost the entire time I was pushing (my Dr. in Logan only came in the last 10 minutes) and cracked jokes during delivery which was welcome while I was resting between pushes. One joke was a reference that I have a skin discoloration disorder "down there". I also have it on my hand but obviously have never noticed I have it elsewhere. Dr. B said "Well, so much for your nude modeling career" He also went back to the office and scheduled all my next Dr's appts for me. He definitely went above and beyond his calling. I also loved that after I deliever Porter the nurse put him on my stomach for me to hold for a minute before they cleaned him up. That didn't happen with Brooke and it was a really special moment.


We had a little bit of a scare on the first day. The doctor and nurses like to see a baby have at least one wet diaper 12 hours after birth. Porter hadn't peed all day or at all into the next morning. We were going on 24 hours. That combined with his history of only having a 2 vessel umbilical cord was enough for our dr to schedule an ultrasound on him to make sure everything was okay. The tech reported that his bladder seemed a little abnormal, but he couldn't say for sure. We needed a radiologist to give us his expert opinion. Meanwhile, we decided to supplament with some formula in hopes that would fill his bladder and help him have a wet diaper.
Brooke helped me give Porter his first bottle.
By the end of day 2 still nothing. We were really starting to panic. Dr. B called a specialist at primary children's hospital and he said that if Porter hadn't peed by 48 hours that we should really start to worry. We had until the morning to wait and see. Blake and I were so worried. When the nurses came in and told us he had peed in the middle of the night we were overcome with relief! I never thought I would cry over a wet diaper.
Finally, on Saturday we could go home!
While Brooke was taking her nap, I decided to nap too. I think this might become part of our daily schedule.

So far, Porter is a very content baby--just like how Brooke was. He rarely cries, but is quite the eater! We are still working on a schedule. He will wake up to eat and then fall asleep 10 minutes in and won't want to eat anymore. He's not full, so he will want to eat again just 2 hours later. It made for a long night last night.

While Brooke was taking her nap, I decided to nap too. I think this might become part of our daily schedule.So far, Porter is a very content baby--just like how Brooke was. He rarely cries, but is quite the eater! We are still working on a schedule. He will wake up to eat and then fall asleep 10 minutes in and won't want to eat anymore. He's not full, so he will want to eat again just 2 hours later. It made for a long night last night.

Brooke has been really good with him so far. She helps me by getting things that are out of my reach while I am stuck on the couch nursing. She told me this morning that she would hold Porter while I took a shower....ummm no. I am sure Brooke will go through an adjustment period, but so far she is just interested in him--what he's doing or where he is.
I also have a question for you moms of multiple children: Brooke is interested in how Porter eats. When I told her Porter drinks milk she was ready to go to the fridge and get him some. I haven't used any anatomically correct words to explain nursing. I have told her Porter eats on my tummy. I am hesitant because I am afraid that she will go up to every female she sees and point to their chests. What do you think?
And finally, here are Brooke and Porter. They were taken roughly around the same time. Do they look alike?
18 comments:
I always give the science book anatomically correct answer. We've had some embarrassing moments with Olivia and her bagina but all in all I think it's best to give them the facts. Cara has a funny story about one of her girls up
pumping.
Congrats on your sweet little boy! Glad everyone is happy & healthy! So awesome that Brooke is so in love with her little brother! I do think the two of them look similar...even before you put up the comparison picture!! Congrats again!
I think he looks so much like Brooke does now. Not so much as a newborn. She has really changed, now seeing her newborn pic. Get some rest!!
So happy everyone is healthy! If Brooke asks give her the honest answer. I found Owen didn't ask as many questions when I used big words.
Congrats! What a handsome little guy!! When I was feeding Sophie, Jack was curious and I just told him that mommies make special milk for their babies and that is where it comes out. Nothing embarrassing did happen...about that....now. potty training is a different story! ;)
Congrats! He is so handsome! ANd you look great! I always get so swollen after delivery so I'm always surprised when people look so nice after giving birth. I nursed around my kids and (as far as I know) they never did or said anything embarrassing. I just told them that is how mommy's feed their babies and isn't it neat that Heavenly Father made us that way. It seemed to be enough for them.
Congrats on your little guy! We taught Emily as much as she can handle each time she asked. I explained the milk came from my chest. Since she was older, she understood more and I wasn't too worried. We also told her it was part of our bodies that we don't show and talk about with others. Emily now nurses her doll, with a blanket now. Good luck! And, do take those naps, because you need them! -E
I love baby birth stories, especially from my friends, and your was pretty intense. You are awesome! I'm glad Porter is doing well and is healthy after the scare. Brooke is so sweet with him, its going to be fun. Definitely fit those naps in! Senneca would nurse her baby doll or bear when I nursed. She was younger then Brooke but I told her that was where the milk for the baby came from and it was a private area we kept covered up. Everyone gave you good advice though.
You should be patting yourself on the back right now! You made it to a 10 on pitocin! I bow down to you! Amazing! So scary about the peeing issue. I remember Kenzi didn't poop for 5 days her meconium, which was a concern, and I was so worried! I had never been happier to see a poopy diaper! I had total empathy reading about the peeing issue. I am so glad that you don't have to worry and that he peed. What a blessing. As for breast feeding......I was planning to cover up while feeding, but that went out the window pretty much the first day Maren was home! I had to hold her in the football hold for quite a while and that was way too hard for me to cover up, so my girls have seen it all. They both know that Maren drinks milk from mommies chest. They have seen every detail of my boob, but to them, that is the norm and just how babies eat. Kenzi drew a picture of our family today. Above everyone's head was a picture of their favorite food. When she got to Maren, do you know what was drawn above her head? A boob, with a nipple. It was a circle with a dot, but that was enough for me to know that Kenzi has seen it all and has paid close attention! Oh well. it is a natural thing, and nothing to be ashamed of. I think with my next baby, I really will have to be more careful about privacy because Kenzi will be at least 7 or 8 by then and won't want to see that herself! But for right now, I think it is fine and I am not worried about it. So there are my two bits! So glad everything turned out good. He looks just perfect and you can definitely see in their baby pictures that they are siblings!
Beautiful pictures Courtney! I am happy to hear that everything is going okay. I remember the first time Sabrina saw me feed Jacob she cried her eyes out. It took her awhile to get used to what I was doing. She still tells me it is weird when we talk about breastfeeding my next baby. I just try to act like it is just a normal thing to do and was what God intended even though I do feel uncomfortable breastfeeding in front of the kids.
In one of your pics in the album on FB I was struck with Porter looking JUST LIKE Brooke does now! Dad and I looked at tall the pics you had posted, while watching the end of the Superbowl.:) We love all the pics, and have now enjoyed the story of Porter's several-day journey to be in his mom, dad and sister's arms.
We are thankful to God for his blessings in the details, and glad your precious family are now home and getting used to what your "new normal" now is! Much love--
Yes!!! I have been waiting for this post :) Congratulations....beautiful boy, love the name! So many of your experiences remind me of my delivery with Ryker, except I pushed hard for three hours. That is the hardest workout I've even endured :) We also fed Ryker a bottle in the hospital, and had no issues adjusting right back to nursing - which was my fear. I'm sure Brooke loved to help! And Ryker ate every two hours day and night for the first two months. It was hard, but I couldn't deny my baby..... So happy for you all and this gets me excited to have a new baby around! So fresh and new, straight from heaven.
Oh man! Sounds like he really gave you trouble coming out. Congratulations. That is so wonderful and exciting!!
It's amazing how different every child is, from before they are even born! Glad to hear that everything is going well now, I can't imagine how scared and nervous you guys were, but so glad everything is well now! Brooke looks like she is loving being an older sister! What a cute little family!
Congratulations! That is awesome you made it that far without an epidural.
I had the talk with Olivia that babies drink milk from Mommies boob and when they get big they drink cows milk like big kids. As previous poster said I like to teach Olivia the correct words for parts and we have had embarrassing moments but better that she knows the correct words than a nickname.
I don't know if you plan on pumping but I know Olivia would pretend to nurse her baby dolls or pump her boobs. I think if you don't make a big deal about it then they won't either.
yah! congrats. He's such a cutie!!
Yes, big congrats! Little Porter is perfect and it will be so fun having two. Really. I love it. It has it's moments, but it's overall a lot more fun. Glad everything turned out okay! About nursing, Talton was a little freaked out at first, too. But, haha, I told him that mommies make milk for their babies just like cows or other animals do (I know, great comparison!) and that seemed to help him a little. It didn't take him too long to get used to it and now he doesn't think a thing about it. Recently has started bringing me fake money so Liam can pay for his milk, just like the rest of us. Glad you are home, I will give you a call next week.
P.S. I really need to proofread my comments BEFORE I submit. Can't believe I just misspelled/misused the word "its," especially in front of an English teacher. Haha.
Post a Comment