I wanted to just mention a couple of things about our hospital stay that I didn't get to in the last post. During labor and delivery there were two nursing students in the room with me. They saw the whole process. The head nurse assigned to me and Blake both made sure it was okay with me that they were there. I never thought I would be the type of person who would want extra people in the delivery room with me, but I was so far beyond caring at that point. Dr. B even had the two students practice checking the baby's position, which was a first for both of them. After I delievered, Blake and I were talking to them and they both said they never wanted to have children after seeing what I went through. (They were both young and unmarried) So that experience was good birth control for them at least!
And I just can't say enough about our experience at the hospital. The first night we were there, they prepared a special steak dinner for two for Blake and I. Then when we left, they gave us a gift bag that had some fun things in like Hershey's candybars that say Here.He.Is, a blanket with the hospital name on it, "it's a boy" bubble gum cigars, soaps and lotions, and ticket vouchers to the movie theater. What a nice thing to do! We loved staying there...at least until we get the hospital bill, I guess :)

- I could not have survived these first couple of weeks without awesome friends and neighbors who have fed us every night so far. THANK YOU! Also my mom came out and was great to help with Brooke, who needed attention just for her. And my MIL is always great to help out when I need her. We feel very blessed to live close to them.
- By far the biggest adjustment has been getting used to not sleeping, my house being a wreck, and trying to get on some kind of schedule (which is not happening right now). Porter and I are still trying to get used to nursing. He wants to eat about every 3 to 3 1/2 hours, but he will always fall asleep after he nurses on one side. I try everything to get him to wake up but he just wants to sleep. I will lay him down and after 5-10 he will wake up and realize he is still hungry and want to eat on the other side. This makes for a slow process and it's been pretty frustrating. I am hoping it will get better as Porter gets older.
- On Friday we had two appointments to go to and we were late for both of them. How do people go out with more than one child? Between getting Brooke ready and making sure Porter is happy and fed, I am pretty sure we will always be late.
- Brooke really hasn't been jealous of Porter. A few days after we were home, Brooke climbed on my lap and wanted me to hold her like a baby while she did a "wah, wah" cry. I was nervous about that, but once she got it out of her system she's been fine ever since.
- When I get Brooke up in the morning and I don't have Porter with me she says, "Where's my baby?" and wants to go see him in his bassinet and give him a kiss
- She always says she wants to "pet" the baby
- Whenever Porter makes a noise, Brooke will run over to where he is and talk to him or just see what is the matter. Last night Brooke made us laugh by saying "Hi baby Porter! You are poopy and stinky. You need a diaper change."






It took a lot of coaxing to get this picture:

I also want to mention that Porter's "swaddle me" blanket was a great purchase! I am not a good swaddler. Blake is actually much better at it than I am. But this blanket makes it so easy to get him nice and tight.
On the 9th was Porter's one week mark and also my birthday. We had a pretty low-key celebration. My MIL watched Brooke for the day and Blake, Porter and I went for a drive, got Chinese takeout, and rented a movie. I also have a coupon for a day at the spa to use when I can actually go out by myself, was able to do some online shopping for some things I had been wanting and my new double stroller was delievered! I have spring fever so bad now. I am ready to get out walking and use it.

Happy Birthday to me!

My two favorite birthday presents: new baby Porter and a picture drawn for me by Brooke. Isn't Brooke's expression awesome?
Don't think I am mean by not saying B. is my favorite bday present. Brooke is my favorite Christmas present ;)
And here's our little guy just relaxin'




During our first week home, we gave Porter a bath. Blake was in charge of it and as you can tell, Porter is soaked. I had a mild freak-out because I worried about his umbilical cord, but at Porter's 5 day check-up the Dr. said it looked fine.

At his 5 day check-up Porter went from 6.15 at birth to 7.1. This boy loves to eat! I am curious to see what he will weigh at his two week appointment on Thursday.
Finally, on the 10th I took Porter to get some pictures taken. The photographer did a great job and here's a little preview. I can't wait to see the rest!

9 comments:
How fun!!! He is a cutie. I'm excited for you with your new adventures ahead.
I love Brooke's fairy/genie outfit.....She's so proud!
The nb photos of Porter are beautiful....much better than the JCPenney shots of Brooke :) Lucky you got a sleeping babe for the photos, Ryker refused to sleep for both sessions we tried to do of him. He's still the same way - funny how there personalities are apparent from birth.
Glad your adjusting and being well taken care of. Even if Daddy gives him an extra wet bath - heehee!
Love the updates and the newborn photos. Porter is such a cutey and they turned out so well! We had a small town hospital for the births of S and C and had alot of the same experience, it was great. The story of Brooke needing to be a baby for a few minutes really made me laugh. Glad it was a one time thing.
I love it!! I am way jealous about your hospital stay... I am realizing how bad anchorage's mother-baby unit is. Brooke looks like she is handling things well and probably loves that you are distracted. I love the pictures of porter I'm excited to see more pics.
It's fun to read about Porter and compare how things are going with our new little one as well. I'm glad it's normal to still be figuring out a sort of routine! I can't imagine trying to do that with a toddler in the mix!
When I first read about Porter's 1 week, I missed the part about it being your b-day. I was thinking, "Dang! We didn't do anything to celebrate our baby's 1 week!" I finally caught on, though:). So, happy late birthday!
Porter is so cute. Brooke is such a cute big sister!
Brooke's expression is awesome.And so is her obvious body language showing she doesn't want to get near that poopy stinky baby! Two is way hard to get out of the house with. I wish I could say it gets easier but I am afraid what I really mean is that I lower my expectations and plan on either being always late or planning really early. And I am glad to see a picture of Porter with his eyes open! Lazy boy! What a cutie.
Oh yeah, and I was going to tell you don't even worry about fighting over the outfit...until I saw the hoochie mama top I she is wearing in the middle of winter!
You look great! And, I'm a little freaked out about pooping and peeing in the middle of a diaper change, too. Porter is so cute! I love that last picture with his face squished.
Post a Comment