There are some big changes coming our way! And no, I'm not pregnant. Let me preface this post by saying all the freaking out I'm doing I have brought upon myself. There is no one else to blame. It all started a few weeks when my visiting teachers A and L came to visit. We were talking about substitute teaching & how I wanted to start subbing a few days a week. Then A says to me "Well, you don't even want to look on the district website" and I said "Why?" She then told me there was an opening for a 6th grade Language Arts teacher at the middle school. The deadline for applications was the next Friday. Of course, I had to go online and look at it. Then I had to print out the application. I waited for the deadline to pass and turned the application in on Tuesday and I was sure I didn't get it since 1) my application was late and 2) I hadn't heard from them in almost a week since my interview. But low and behold they called yesterday and offered me the job! I immediately called Blake crying and freaking out and he says "Well, if it's not going to make you happy don't take it" to which I replied "I don't know what's going to make me happy!" And that is the honest truth. I have felt so unbelievably lost these past 11 months. I loved, loved teaching. Even after a year of being away from the classroom I still think of lesson plan ideas and dream about school. But on the other hand I love, love Brooke and being home with her. I feel truly blessed that I was able to spend the first year of her life giving her my undivided attention. Now maybe, as selfish as it sounds, I need to explore this option that has been presented to me. It's only for the rest of the school year. If it doesn't work out, I just won't come back next year. My other visiting teacher L kindly offered to watch Brooke for me so I don't have to take her to a daycare. L's kids are all in school all day so Brooke will get that one on one attention. And thankfully Blake has a schedule that will allow him to also watch Brooke a few days a week. In fact, he's switching to a shift after Thanksgiving that will make it so Brooke will only have to be at L's house half days.
This has all come about very suddenly and I couldn't even sleep last night because my brain was going a mile a minute. As guilty as I feel about leaving Brooke, I feel even more guilty that I think I might actually like working again. I am one of those weird people that thrive in chaos. In the midst of stress is when my performance is the best. I'm looking forward to being challenged and organized. And if any profession lends itself to family life, it's teaching. Already the school year is half over and Christmas Break is just around the corner. Throw in the holidays and breaks spread across the rest of the year and summer will be here before you know it! Wish me luck!
18 comments:
Wow Courtney! That is a big change! But I am so excited for you! Sounds like things are going to work out just right and it was meant to be.
P.S. Way to go on your crafts! Love the crown idea. Scrapbook page was so cute.
You are echoing the turmoil of mothers everywhere. We can't ever escape the guilt. Guilt for not contributing to the finances, guilt for leaving the kids if we do. Guilt for wanting to work, guilt for not working and wasting talents. ets etc. you will do great. and tell those guilt monsters to hush. as long as brooke knows she is loved and has enough to eat, you have no reason to feel guilty.
courtney! i'm so excited for you! i have loved teaching just the one class here... something about being a teacher just is so fulfilling. i hope you like it. oh, and i read the guernsey literary society too, and it is one of my favorite books ever.
oh, and have you ever read,
"the book thief"? love love it.
I think it is awesome! Congrats, you'll do great!
what a great oppertunity! it seems like things are working out just perfect! i say, don't feel guilty at all. She will ALWAYS love you the most and it may even make you a better mother. :)
:) Good luck Courtney! I hope you will still have time to blog. I love reading your blog!!!
i am worried about the blog too...(frown smile here)
Don't worry. I definitely will keep blogging! I like keeping up with everyone too. I'll probably have more interesting stories to tell! :)
I'm really surprised! I guess not knowing about the pre-hiring stuff took me off guard for you starting work again. You are a great teacher (I can just tell:) ) and a great mom and you will know what works best for you and your fam. Just trust your feelings.
Yeah! Congrats!!!
Congrats on the new job! I hope it ends up being all you hope for! Definitely keep us all updated!
Yeah, it will be a big change, but it seems like things are all falling into place. Doesn't that kind of feel like fate guiding you? Like you are supposed to do this? Plus, like you said, if it doesn't work out, you don't have to go back next year.
If you do want to be there, you will be a better mother because you are doing this for you. And you will be a huge example to Brooke. If you find out you don't want to be there, you'll be a better mother for realizing that too. Seems like a win-win situation to me! Good luck. And keep in touch with us. :(
WOW! Congrats and good luck. I am excited for you. I think that I would be having all of the same feelings.
I agree with Nicole.....no matter what, mothers are constantly made to feel guilty. DON'T! That is all I can say. I can honestly say that going back to work was much easier to do, that I thought it would be. I cried leading up to the day....but as I pulled out of the driveway on my first day, I thought "I can do this..." And to be honest, I really feel like there is more balance in my life now. When I'm home I am completely focused on Ryker and I want to be home.....But when I'm at work, I'm able to have some "me" time to think and have stimulating conversations. Ryker is also able to interact with someone else, which I think is healthy.....You will do great! I'm proud of you for at least exploring your options to figure out what is best for Brooke AND you!
I don't know how I missed this post. That is so awesome! You shouldn't feel guilty at all. I think teaching is a good mother's job. You're at work while they're in school. Not in your case, but it won't be long. Good luck.
My best to you as English teacher extraordinar! You will be so great. Who are you teaching with? I know Jennifer Chandler is one the English teachers as is Kym Robb. I love them both. What a great team! Again, who is L and A? I am so curious.
Post a Comment