Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Just Call Me Martha Jr.

So remember my post a few days ago claiming "I never said I was Martha Stewart"? Well, I'm learning. I still have a long ways to go. I recently came upon this awesome craft blog called Homemade By Jill (there's a link to it under "blogs I like") She is seriously amazing! She's inspired me to learn how to sew just so I can make some of the things she showcases. Today I made a crown for Brooke's 1st B-day next month:
I feel like a preschooler coming home with scribbled lines and proudly showing it off. True, it's nothing fancy but I MADE THIS! A true accomplishment for me. Oh btw, I still don't know how to sew. I hot glued this. Sewing lessons to come. I recently read on another craft blog something like "but the feeling you'll get from knowing it's homemade..." and I thought Oh barf! Who talks like that? That's just something crafy people say to make all us non crafties feel bad. But it was fun to do a project today and since I am still looking for "the hobby" to keep me entertained and to keep me from losing my sanity as Brooke and I sit at home this winter, doing crafts just might be it.

Yesterday was Blake's B-day too. We had a fun party complete with streamers and b-day themed plates and napkins (something I found in my M.I.L.'s storage room, I'm sure to use for the grandkids, but it was too much fun to pass up using). And speaking of crafty, I am trying out the whole digital scrapbook thing and made this card "from Brooke" to Blake:
I thought it turned out pretty cute. Like most people, we have a tradition where the b-day person gets to request anything they want for dinner. Every year Blake asks for artichokes. Not just the hearts, the entire artichoke. When our party guests saw a big steaming pot full of them they said "Out of all the foods in the world, this is what you ask for?!" It was pretty funny and just goes to show how different Blake and I are. There is no way I would ever request a vegtable on my birthday!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

what! No peas for you? I love the little crown. I have to say that there is nothing better than a hot glue gun in the world of "crafties." You are so funny, with all your barfing over the "feeling the get when it is homemade!"

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Blake! We all love you!! I'm glad your using up some paperplates. There are enough down there to do a few dozen birthday parties!

m@R(! said...

cute cake!!!

The Crace's said...

I check out that blog, too. She's my cousin-in-law :)

Syme Family said...

That turned out so cute. To bad we don't live closer we could do crafts together and keep each other company through the long winter months.
Hey maybe you could convince Blake to let you come stay with me for a couple days. That would be so fun.

Courtney said...

I love the card. My favorite is "letting me know it's okay to fly." So precious!

And when you say, big steaming pot full of artichokes, all I can think is, "Ew. I bet that didn't smell very good." LOL.

Ryanne said...

Very cute crown and I love the card, especially the lady bug, flying part. Way to use up some birthday supplies too:)