Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Isn't It Obvious

Last week it snowed & I needed to run some errands. So I put Brooke in a hand-me-down snow suit my sister used for her kids. It's blue. So while in the store I get quite a few comments about this "happy little boy" I have. Okay, she is in blue so I let it slide. The other day I dressed Brooke in this camo shirt Blake bought for her (did I even have to add which parent that was from?) and get more comments about my cute little boy. Fine. Then just yesterday I went to the library with Brooke and she was wearing the sweater shown in the pictures below and I get more comments about my little boy baby. Isn't it obvious that Brooke is a girl? To me, Brooke obviously looks like a girl no matter what she is wearing. In the hospital I had a nurse tell me that Brooke was such a pretty baby and also obviously a girl which was so nice for me. I have been floating on that comment these 11 months. Now I am beginning to think that nurse lied to me. I have never had so many comments about Brooke being a boy as I have this past week. (Just so you know, I am really not upset about it, more amused than anything.)

Brooke is 11 months today! She loves to pull the velcro flowers and apples off her playhouse (it's supposed to be for her birthday, but whatever)


She also loves to play with a vase of fake flowers my MIL has. Sorry Deena but those are getting ripped to shreds!


She is eating all table food now. She LOVES, LOVES to play games. We play the "asleep/awake" game where she puts her head down on her high chair tray and then we say "Wake Up!" and she puts her head up. "Go to sleep"--she lays her head back down. We also play the "so big" game. She loves it when she crawls away and we chase her. She can clap in response to us saying "Yay!" She loves to snuggle after she wakes up from a nap. And she charms our Sunday School class each week by crawling around making cute sounds and playing games with everyone. She loves to watch the Baby Einstein dvd called "Baby's First Sounds" It has these animal puppets that make sounds and she just laughs the whole time. She still loves animals and would be perfectly happy letting Daisy and Gunner lick her to death if we would let them.

I can't believe how fast this year has gone! Brooke is learning so many new things and it truly is amazing to be her mother. P.S. I promise I will think about stopping a monthly play by play gush-fest after the year mark. :)

9 comments:

Our ABC Family said...

They do grow up way too fast! And yes, Brooke definitely looks like a girl. I think people often don't really look at the child they are talking about before they speak. She is a cutie! :) I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying being back at work, and that things are working out for you guys! :)

Nicole said...

Yes, she looks like a girl! But everyone thought Carter was a girl. He was so pretty. I even had a one old lady get mad at her husband when he commented on When he made a comment about my "little girl." in that same blue snowsuit (it was Ethan this time). THe old lady hit her husband and said, "can't you tell. He is wearing blue!"

The Crace's said...

I had the same problem with people thinking Owen was a girl when he was about a yr old. He was wearing a hoodie jacket from the university where my dad teaches and their colors are royal purple and gray. It wasn't even a girl purple. People are just dumb! I like the monthly updates :)

m@R(! said...

Both of my girls both have got called boys many times. EVEN while wearing all pink. I think it has to do with the lack of hair.

Sarah H. said...

I seem to have issues with identifying baby genders...I've found some key phrases that help me determine if it's a boy or girl...like, I talk to the baby (who clearly can't answer) "what's your name?" the parent replies...and most times I can determine the gender by the name. Unless it's Taylor or one of those gender neutral names then it's a 50-50 chance. Brooke's cute either way! I'd only worry if people continue to get it wrong when she's 5!

Ryanne said...

I'll have Jocelyn in her pink carseat surrounded by pink blankets and people will still call her a boy! I think its if she isn't wearing a huge, obvious hair bow.

Hoenes Family said...

People are so clueless. I swear, I have had the girls dressed head to toe in pink and people would still say "how old is HE?" LAME! She is most definitely a girl! A cute one.

Anonymous said...

Hey Courtney! Just buy a little pink beenie for the winter. It will keep her warm, no more gender problems, and it will match with all the blue!

The Sugar Loaf said...

You better keep up the 'gushfest' because this helps us keep up with her activities. I am so happy she is giving you fits with all the crappy fake flowers. Maybe Grams will learn when to throw things away. Just toss them when she is finished laughing. The video is so funny when she starts to laugh. Thanks so much for videoing our cute Grand!