Monday, April 25, 2011

Here Comes Peter Cotton Tail...

We had a whirlwind weekend. Thursday, Friday, and Monday was my (much needed) spring break from school. So far, the weather hasn't been very cooperative, which makes me even more glad that Blake and I were able to get away on our cruise in March--we definitely aren't enjoying very warm temps here! That aside, we were able to cram some fun activities into our days. And like always, I have way too many pictures and not enough sense to cut some of them out:
Thursday: We dyed Easter eggs. This was my first attempt to do this B. and she loved it. She wasn't too patient with waiting for the eggs to turn colors and wanted to make sure all the eggs got a turn in each color.
Friday: We drove to northern Utah for Baby Animal Days. Again, we had never been, even after living in this part of the state for almost 5 years. Brooke liked it, but wasn't so sure about holding the animals and did not like the baby cows mooing at her and trying to lick her.
Holding baby bunnies
On the train ride (which she LOVED), holding a baby duck, petting baby goats, and an albino peacock
With dad petting a donkey, pony, and sitting on some old farm equipment
After the baby animals, we went to see our good friends Reggie and Ryanne and use their house to get ready for our pictures with Kristin. She took Brooke's six month pictures and it was fun to do some family pics with her. She was awesome with Brooke--getting her to laugh and doing a lot of candid family shots, which I love.

After pictures, Blake dropped me off at my "nerd event". It just happened that the day we were in town, there was also an author's night featuring 5 talented YA authors:
James Dashner, Brandon Mull, Ally Condie, Jessica Day George, and Shannon Hale They talked, answered questions from the audience, and were really funny and fun to listen to. Afterwards, I braved standing in 30-45 minute lines (or 2 hours for Brandon Mull) to have the authors sign some of my books. . They were so nice and took time to talk to everyone and personalize your book. It.was.awesome Or like Blake said before dropping me off, "So is this like a big deal? Like, if you're a nerd, this is a big deal, huh?" UM YEAH IT IS!!
We stayed with Blake's sister and had tons of fun with her girls before heading home Saturday morning.

Sunday: We had an Easter Egg hunt before church and B. got her Easter basket where the most exciting things by far was the sucker and the bubbles!
Video of Brooke looking for eggs:
getting her basket
Playing with bubbles with daddy
wow, if you made it to the end of this post, I congratulate you! I hope you all had a fun, safe Easter weekend!

17 comments:

Kolbi Young said...

You did have a great weekend! I've decided holidays are much more fun with a kiddo. Even when R had no idea what was going on at the community egg hunt, it was still fun ;) Brooke's basket looks loaded with lots of fun and pink goodies!

Glad you also got your own Easter surprises at the YA authors event. Shannon Hale is in my ward and she has an amazing sense of humor - always quick witted - something I'm not ;) I've only read her two adult fiction books...quick, easy, lighthearted reads.

Courtney said...

Kolbi, That is so cool that Shannon Hale is in your ward. I've read a few of her books, too (the adult ones). I really liked Austenland...she said at the even that it is going to be turned into a movie. And you are right, she is very quick witted and funny I really liked her a lot.

Sarah said...

Your nerd event looked awesome! It looks like it was an open forum -- so cool. I haven't read any of their books, but I have heard of some of them. Do you have a favorite?

m@R(! said...

Lucky...i can't believe you got to meet all those authors. I've read a book from all of them but one. I would be star-struck!!!!

Hoenes Family said...

Sooo fun! My girls would love a sucker that large! Kenzi got Tangled too! It is such a cute show. I just love Easter! That is SOOOOO awesome you got to meet all of those authors! I guess I am a nerd too!

Anonymous said...

How fun!! That is too cute!

Cali said...

Yeah I deleted my Facebook for awhile, sorry about that. I just felt like I needed a break from it. But can I just say I think it's so awesome that you read all of them too! I'm a third of the way through the seventh book! It sucks that we have to wait three years for the next one to come out! Even though that one book was really slow, I do think it's the best series I've ever read. I'm going to be so bored when it's finished! You'll have to give me some suggestions of other good books, it looks like there are a lot!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Baby animal day is awesome, I'm sad we missed it this year.

Unknown said...

Blake is funny! If you are a nerd then I am totally a nerd with you! I love stuff like that and I'm glad you got to go. For some reason I was thinking Blake didn't get to go with you to Logan but I'm glad you guys were able to have a fun family outing. The pictures look so good! I bet you'll have a hard time deciding which ones to put up because they look like they are all going to be gorgeous. You are so good about taking videos of Brooke--I need to take a lesson from you and pull mine out more often!

Nicole said...

I want to go to a nerd event! What nerd events can we go to while I am in Utah. Keep your eyes peeled for nerd events everywhere. Oh Brandon Mull was in NOME a while a go and went to the schools there and stayed the weekend and went to church and did a fireside for the branch up there. So jealous! I didn't hear if he was in Anchorage at all for that.... Blake is missing out. He and JaDee don't know how cool us nerds really are! And I love Brooke looking for eggs. She says MORE like MEER or something. So cute. And of course she was all about the sucker and the candy!

Kolbi Young said...

Did you read The Actor and the Housewife? I randomly picked up the book on CD at the library (I listen to books on my commute). I was mostly annoyed at all the Mormon cliche and stereotypes presented (I typically loathe Mormon fiction)....in the end the stupid thing had me sobbing - couldn't see the lines in the road as I was drivign.... Thought about it for days afterward....It was a love/hate relationship :) I'm excited to see Austenland! I also enjoyed that one!

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

We loved having you guys stay with us. Sorry that we were so dang busy and didn't get to see you guys for very long. It was good to see some family. I can't wait to see your family pictures. Happy Easter.

Our ABC Family said...

i love the pictures! It helps to give us a small insight into what you've been up too! Brooke sure is a cutie and growing up so fast! I'm so jealous you guys got to go to Logan and go to Baby animal days! Looks like you had a fun Easter break!

Our ABC Family said...

i love the pictures! It helps to give us a small insight into what you've been up too! Brooke sure is a cutie and growing up so fast! I'm so jealous you guys got to go to Logan and go to Baby animal days! Looks like you had a fun Easter break!

Ryanne said...

I love the pictures of Brooke coloring eggs and enjoying her lollipop. Her basket was cute! I was really glad to see you and even more glad you got to go the author night. There must be a whole lot of nerds in Logan (or at least that I know) because everyone I've talked to went.

emily ballard said...

Haha. I read about your "nerd event" on my cousin's blog. She went too :)

Carolyn said...

How fun (the author thing)! I really need to take my kids to the baby animal thing. I never had, but they would love it. It could be dangerous for the animals though...