Thursday, December 22, 2016

Until We Meet Again, Grandma




 My Grandmother, Ruth Anna Gorman Smith, passed away on December 7, 2016 at the age of 90 at her home in Arkansas. She lived a wonderful and full life with grandfather who was her sweetheart from the age of 14. They surivived WWII together, had just one child--my dad, and when they retired, they moved from their home in Deleware to the Ozark mountains where they bought property and built (literally) their dream retirement home where they could enjoy the views, garden, and birdwatch.

Grandma loved everyone. When you called, she'd answer the phone with a 'Why hello there" having no idea who was on the other end. When she talked to you, you felt like you were special and her favorite person. She didn't laugh, she giggled like a school girl--even still at 90 years old. He eyes held a twinkle and she'd often wink at you, like you were sharing some kind of special secret only she knew.

Grandma loved color. Her flower gardens were full of thousands (literally) of flowers, some she had to plant year after year) with paths running between the rows. As a little girl, I thought her garden was so magical and loved to roam the paths and imagine fairies living there. Each bedroom and bathroom in her house was a different color (green, pink, blue) and each had a matching colored box of kleenexes in it. I thought those colored kleenexes made the perfect barbie dresses for my dolls.

My grandmother was an example of hardwork and persistance. I knew from stories of her past career that she was well loved by all she worked with. She was a farm girl from just outside Philadelphia and that habit of working hard stayed with her until the end. She diligently did exercises each morning.

My grandparents were always holding hands and hated to be apart. My grandfather passed away almost 20 years ago and I know she missed him terribly. My heart is happy to think they are reunited again.

I was able to visit with my grandma for the last time in the summer of 2015. I flew down to Arkansas to spend time with her and my dad with Grant when he was about 9 months old. In my heart, I knew it would probably be the last time I'd see her on this earth. I will always cherish the time I spent with her in her home.

I was not able to attend the funeral in Arkansas, so on the morning of her funeral Blake and I did a temple session. The session was busy and there were a few distractions, so it wasn't quite as peaceful as I hoped it would be. At the end of the session, I passed through to the Celestial Room. There was a high window in the room through which a bright stream of sunlight was streaming through, making the already bright room appear even more white and beautiful. I was overcome with this feeling of peace and happiness. I knew that my grandmother was so happy to be in such a beautiful place. Being in  with my grandfather, with a perfect body free from her limitations she suffered these last few months, and with perfect eyesight, was exactly where she wanted to be.

Kind of neat to add that as the funeral was being held, we got word that our brother Ben's secondchild was born! (he and his wife obviously didn't attend the funeral) It seemed fitting that a new Smith was added to the clan on this day.







 My brothers: Jared and Stephen
 Jared and Stephen with my sister Nicole
My siblings with our dad

My heart has been so full this Christmas season as I reflect on Christ's birth and what his birth meant for all mankind. His birth, life, example, death, and resurrection mean that when loved ones leave us, it is not goodbye forever, but only for a little while. Having Blake's father recently pass and now my grandmother, it has really put things in perspective for me and helped me to renew my faith of what's to come after this life. There is so much more waiting for us on the other side. I am grateful for my Savior for giving me the gift of knowing that I will see my loved ones again.

No comments: