Saturday, January 2, 2010

I Scream, You Scream

If you hadn't heard the good news yet: Brooke has a tooth! That is a pretty big accomplishment in our house since Blake and I were sure we were going to have to invest in very tiny dentures. I'm also pretty sure Brooke is going to be one of those babies who gets each tooth separately--there is no sign of tooth #2 emerging anytime soon. I'm hopeful she'll have at least 4 by the time she's 2!

Also, Brooke has decided that she likes to scream. Scream when she's excited, scream when she's frustrated, scream just to make noise. And I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the tooth thing because Brooke has been very good natured about that. I didn't even know she had one until I saw something shiny poking through her gum (I've thought that before, but this time it wasn't just a piece of food!) The screaming is more like: "Oh, you say I can't play with your cell phone? You will pay for that!" But not crying-screaming. No tears. Just ear piercing screams.

The other day we were in the grocery store and Brooke was letting out these screams at the top of her lungs and holding it for as long as she could. Then pant, pant pant and then off into another scream over and over again. No crying, no sign that she was upset, just screaming to make noise. When I got to the cash register the cashier said to me, "By the sounds of those screams, I was expecting a much bigger child, not a baby." I've tried saying "No Brooke" but that just brings on more screams. How do I make her stop screaming? Is it like training a dog? Do I need to reward good behavior with a treat?

In all seriousness, it's hard not to laugh when Brooke tries her screams on us because she has the most focused expression on her face. As if she is trying to tell us something oh- so-important with those screams. But, it is getting annoying and I'd prefer not to get dirty looks from the people in the grocery store. As if I were the one encouraging her to scream.

Also, Brooke has shown Blake and I what we are in for:
Climbing out the window of her playhouse is just practice for her teen years.

Brooke had her one year appointment on Wednesday. She now weighs a wopping 18lbs 5oz (10 percentile), and is 29.5 inches long (50 percentile).

My Christmas break is quickly coming to a close and I'll be back to work on Monday. It's been so nice to just lounge around the house, watching all the seasons of the Gilmore Girls and eating Cafe Rio. Did I mention my new year's resolution is to get back in shape?

Happy New Year Everyone! I would do a 2009 recap, but it would invlolve Brooke, Brooke, and more Brooke. Nothing new that you don't alreay know. But I have to say that even though you may get sick of hearing about Brooke, blogging has been such a fun way to document our lives and keep up on journaling. I have never recorded so many events before. I can't wait to see what YOU have been up to! You know who you are people who have been neglecting your blogs!

11 comments:

emily ballard said...

My daughter, Lucy, was a screamer too. She wasn't upset, she was (and still is) really, really loud. The only good thing that came from it was that when she was 15 months old she was walking up and down the halls at church, screaming during the middle of Sunday School. One of the counselors in the bishopbric walked up to her, took her by the hand, and said, "It's time for you to go to nursery." And that was that. I got rid of her three months early :)

The Sugar Loaf said...

Screaming can only mean she is thru and thru GIRL. I honestly have never heard of a boy-screamer. But girls come into their own and can turn your socks inside out. Enjoy if you can. It is a phase that will last until she turns twelve. Then you will get the dirty look and wish for the screams. You are so cute Courtney the way you explain everything. I so love you. Great schooling the next five months. Tell all the VMS hello for me. You will love it there. Give Brooke and Blake a big hug and kiss. How we miss you three. Thanks for watching the house. We pray for you with other prospects!

Nicole said...

Was that pointed to me? I know, but it was so fun to lounge at our house to that I have nothing to blog about. Wait! I feel an idea forming. I'll be back!

PS I LOVE THE BROOKE BLOG!! just don't get too busy at work and lapse on it or you will have to tell your principal that your sister says you have to quit to blog more;)

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

Love the climbing out the window relation to teenage years...oh, boy!
About the screaming, have you every tried sign language. I have lots of friends who do/did that with their babies and it worked wonders. Google: baby sign language and you will find lots of simple signs that she can do right now. Then she can tell you what she wants in better way and you can reward her for it. It is also fun to show off how she knows sign language at such and early age! She is so smart! Good luck...she is beautiful. Miss you guys like crazy.
Steph

Carolyn said...

My kids have all done the screaming thing and I love it! Don't worry about what people in the grocery store say-the phase will pass soon enough. Do get it on video though because we have a short video of Maren doing it and it is one of my favorites to watch.

Sarah H. said...

I remember Brooke starting that screaming thing while we were at my house dipping apples for my wedding, and she would yell then pant and pant. Super cute, but I can see how that would give you some trouble. I don't have any advice...but keep blogging! :)

Ryanne said...

It was so fun catching up on your Christmas and Brooke's birthday. That video of her opening the present is priceless! The cake is super cute. I wish we could have been there to celebrate too.

Kolbi Young said...

One thing must run in the family....that is no teeth on the horizon! Although Ryker will certainly outweigh Brooke in about one month, as he is gaining approximately 1.5 lbs. per month. Crazy....good thing he's a boy :)

And I finally updated my blog, thank you very much :)

Hoenes Family said...

Aww yes, I can relate to the screaming thing for sure! Here are my thoughts on this....maybe she really is trying to tell you something. That is why Kenzi screamed. Then I taught her how to sign and her screams dissipated. I am a big fan of baby sign language if you haven't already done that! Maybe you already have tried that and you just have a screamer on your hands! Also, if you are worried about Brooke ripped that beautiful felt playhouse, you might consider putting up a clear plasic on the windows. Like the kind you can use to cover chair cushions and tables. Sorry, I am being so preachy. Just some tips I thought of!

Our ABC Family said...

I'm glad you've been enjoying Gilmore girls. For me, whenever I've been stressed or just need a break, its nice to have the witty humor of Gilmore girls to sit and watch, laugh and relax with. Hope school is going well for you and that you are getting back in to the swing of things.

Syme Family said...

I am so sorry you have a screamer. My sisters little girl was like that and I could not deal with that high pitch scream all the time.
I am so excited she got a tooth. I'm sure the others will be coming in soon.