I have also been on the search for a good book to read. I was talking to a friend recently and we both said we had been reading a lot of Young Adult Lit and were YAL-ed out. As much as I enjoy it, I am a little tired of the "coming of age" story lines. My sis-in-law recommended this book called "The Kabul Beauty School" It's a non-fiction story about a woman from Michigan who goes to Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban in 2001 to try and help the women over there. Being a hair-dresser all her life, she wonders what she could possibly offer these women. I haven't started it yet, just got it from the library today. But I am looking forward to reading something new. I am also reading the book "The Four Arguments" that was recommended to me by my brother-in-law. It's more of a self-help book but pretty interesting so far. If you are like me and need something new to read (that is not in the YAL category) I would recommend these books to anyone: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, These Is My Words, or A Thousand Splendid Suns. All are amazing stories.
And speaking of YAL, Blake and I were discussing my birthday that is coming up in a few weeks and he asked me what I wanted. I have a big trip coming up at the end of March, so I told him, of course, I wanted what any wife and mother would want:
Although it doesn't officially come out until March 20, knowing that it's been pre-ordered and it's on its way is good enough for me!Brooke and Blake playing before bed:
11 comments:
I love those kind of relaxing date nights. Let me know how that book turns out when you are done reading it. I wonder if it would be comparable to "A Thousand Splendid Suns". Love the pic of Brooke cuddling with Blake. So cute.
Is that the puzzle that has the power to possess Blake! You will have to post a finished picture of it. I love Brooke's tongue in that picture of her showing Dad how to do it and I am so glad that I will see you on that trip in March!
Nicole just helped me realize that is a puzzle on the desk. I think that is The Saturday Evening Post but can't see which one. Take a picture and show it to me when you are done. Be sure and glue it. Don't undo all the work. I will frame it for you later for your home if you want it. But don't undo it. That is bad luck.
What a fun time for Dad and Daughter. I love Brooke's little tongue as she tries to get you to open your mouth. Don't you just love that little bundle? Oh I am so happy you and Courtney have a little girl. How about a little boy now?
Thanks for the book recommendations! And you gave me a great idea for my bday list, preordering New Moon. We are definitely back to those same date nights. Our last 2 have bombed, got a babysitter and everything, but things fell through:(
I was wondering when New Moon comes out. Thanks. I like your hair BTW. I recommend The Hunger Games, if you haven't already read it. Verryy GOOD. Brooke is a doll.
I love the pics! And the comment about the little boy. :) Don't get your hopes up though. After 3 boys I realize it is not in my hands. I have jumped out of YAL recently too. Unfortunately I am learning that Adult Fiction usually includes a lot more cursing and sexual content. It has been weird for me.
I just looked at the pictures again. Could I just hold Brooke for just a minute and have her play and then sniggle. Oh I miss that little Punkin.
Courtney, I love your hair. You look so good. Is it easier to do or not. I imagine with school and Brooke it is a race in the morning. The easier the better. I met a lady that only does her hair once a week and it looks great. How come some people have all the luck. Not sure what is growing in it but easy to take care of.
A book I recently read was Pillars of the Earth - I love historical fiction.....I'm going to read you rec next - the Potatoes one :) Tyler just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns, so it sounds like I'll need to add that to my list! I love hearing what you are reading and your reviews!
And BTW my son now weighs 21 lbs. Yes it is true. We have one pound before a new carseat. Oh, I'm not ready for that! Did you transition Brooke yet? I love seeing her play with Daddy!
Hey I love the movie nights. Since that is really all we get anymore as well. And thanks for the book suggestions, I will have to check out a few.
Kabul Beauty School is not near as good as A Thousand Spendid Suns, but still the same flavor. Yeah, I understand the words "Red Box Date". At least your tv is bigger than 13 inches! I miss you guys. Kiss little Brooke for me!
Way cute pictures! :) And I'm with you, what better gift could you ask for, for your birthday :) I'm hoping to swing it for Easter since my birthday's not till October :) We'll see I guess :)
Post a Comment