Monday, February 11, 2013

Baja Mexico Cruise, Day 2

Day 2: Santa Catalina Island
One of the best things about the group we traveled with was that all of us were punctual. Can I tell you how nice that was? Not having to wait on anyone, setting a time and having everyone show up? I am pretty anal when it comes to time, so this was a happy little detail. 

Our first port was Santa Catalina Island off the coast of LA. At first I kind of stuck up my nose at going to this port because I thought Blake and I had already been here before. Apparently not, because as I saw the scenery, nothing looked familiar. I was getting Catalina Island confused with Coronado Island that is off the coast of San Diego (where Blake and I went almost 10 years ago). So we were happy that we were going someplace new after all. And much to our surprise, this ended up being the funnest day--and we took a ton of pictures.

First, Catalina doesn't have a dock big enough to accommodate a cruise ship, so we had to anchor in the ocean and have these tender boats ferry us back and forth. We saw tons of dolphins and seals doing this--it was awesome.

on the tender boats--it was a little chilly at 7:30am
Watching seals in the harbor
dolphins
pelicans
 Since the only access to the island is by boat, there is only one gas station on the island and gas is over $6.00 a gallon. To compensate for this, all the locals drive golf carts around the island. We even saw a FedEx golf cart. We found a golf cart rental place, got a map of the island and off we went on our adventures.
While taking pictures at this spot, I dropped our camera case down this rocky ledge and into the ocean. I would have just called it a loss, but Blake scurried down and was determined to save it.

Morgan, Colby, Blake, and Blake
Melanie, Liz, Courtney, Sylvia
We saw a small, about 3 ft long, shark swimming along the coast
There were tons of beautiful overlooks that we stopped at to take pictures

our sweet rides
We stopped at a place that was called a "botanical garden", but really it ended up being just a bunch of cacti
my skirt is wet from Blake's dip in the ocean
 Because the botanical garden turned out to be kind of a bust, we took silly pictures instead
 Then, we continued on our drive around the island.
Our last stop was to the beach
We headed back to the ship for a meal
Blake and his two ice cream cones
 Then we played on the waterslide

 A seal that swam right by the boat:


Dinner that night: lobster and prime rib


 After dinner we decided to do some Karaoke and had a blast. Blake got hit on by some cougars
 On even got a little fresh and went for a butt grab

Blake dancing with older lady friends
The boys doing their thing
The girls' turn
Blake as Johnny Cash
The whole night was really fun and I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my life!
Good Night!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I think I am getting more envious with each post. :) I think I would have felt the same as you about the camera case, and I was surprised to see Blake dive right in. Then I thought about how you mentioned his resourcefulness before (like how he once got a vacuum from the garbage) and it makes sense. :)

The Crace's said...

Oh my gosh. The butt grab pic is priceless!