I know I've said this before, but I love our backyard. It definitely was a selling point when we bought our house.
When I was a kid, our house bordered a forest (at least in my memory it was a forest. If I went back to my childhood home, it would probably really be just a few trees in a field.) and I have the best memories of playing in those trees, building forts, and playing pretend. The trees in our yard now have that same feel to me. I thought for sure they'd be a magnet for Brooke and her wild imagination, but she ignored them pretty much until this year. Porter, on the other hand, though, was instantly attracted to them. This boy of mine LOVES to be outside. He is all smiles and is so content to just explore the yard. He literally will kick his feet and scream when I pick him when it's time to go inside.
 |
| playing peek-a-boo in the trees |
 |
| I know it looks like Brooke is standing on Porter's head, but she's not, I promise! |
 |
| eating a stick, a very determined look on his face |
 |
| playing pretend |
 |
| in the sandbox, another favorite spot |
And this little munchkin of mine is
15 months!! He's crawling all over the place, wearing holes in the knees of his jeans when he's outside, and is cruising along furniture like a pro. He loves to close doors and look at books. He is feisty and is not afraid to let you know when he's frustrated about something. This boy loves to eat! If we are eating and he's not, he's one unhappy boy. He's also our snuggle bug and loves to be held and have some quiet time. He enjoys being teased by Dad and playing games. He's gotten big enough that Blake has started wrestling with him and Porter squeals in delight. My favorite is when Blake comes home from work, no matter where Porter is in the house, he starts squealing and giggling and will come crawling as fast as he can to greet Blake and be tickled by him.
I wanted to get some pictures of Porter in his cute bow-tie, but he just wouldn't hold still :)
 |
| snuggle time with dad |
I also thought I'd do a little update on Brooke. She is all imagination and comes up with the craziest stuff. Today she made a paper plate mask at her sitter's house. When I asked her about it she told me it was a "Rapunzel Vampire"--I have no idea where she got that! Also, a few days ago she heard Blake talking about our neighbors who had music blasting. Blake said, "I'm about ready to go over there and chew them out." Brooke says, "Dad, we don't chew on people, that's not nice."
Blake has been itching to take Brooke fishing since she was born. He said he was going to buy Brooke her own fishing pole and I expected him to come back with a little princess one or something. Nope. It's the real-deal for Brooke! The night after she got her new pole, Brooke was saying the family prayer and she said, "Please bless my new fishing pole, that I can look at it all night." She sure knows the way right into her daddy's heart. :)
 |
| Brooke and J. on the boat--they caught 7 fish! |
Finally, I have been so frustrated with some of Brooke's naughty behavior that I decided to try a new reward system. I bought a small jar from the dollar store and bag of fuzzies. Every time Brooke does something good, no matter how big or small, I have been trying to recognize it and letting her put a fuzzy in the jar. I told her when we fill it to the top, she'll get a treat. I asked her what she would want and she said, "Pixie dust so I can fly." I convinced her that new bubbles would be really fun too. She filled the jar a couple of days ago and was so happy! Now we're off for round 2 on filling the jar (dollar store gifts make the best rewards, I think).
1 comment:
Your kids are darling and growing up so fast! Reading your accounts of growing up with your "forest" of a backyard made me think back to my growing up years! We were outside constantly, and we loved it! My kids are the same way and can't get enough of it! I love the warm fuzzie reward system as well! I might have to try that with Traysen! :)
Post a Comment