Sunday, November 2, 2014

Introducing our newest addition:

Grant's Birthstory:
All through the month of October I had been feeling contractions. At my weekly Dr's apppointments I was dialated to a 4 more than a week before my due date. I was really optimistic that the baby would come early. My doctor was out of town the week before my due date on the 31st. Before he left he said to me, "I have a feeling you're going to deliver while I'm gone." Of course that got me even more excited. I guess I shouldn't have coutned my chickens before they hatched.

On October 23 I went to see the doctor covering for mine at the clinic. He told me I was still a 4 and only 50% thinned out. I was so disappointed! I asked him to go ahead and schedule an induction date for October 29 when my doctor was back in town. I was still really hopeful I'd deliver before then.

October 28 we dropped the kids off at my in-laws since we had an induction appointment at 7:30 the next morning. Blake and I decided to go on a date and went out to eat. We sat in the most uncomfortable booth at the restaraunt! All during dinner, I was having contractions and couldn't get comfortable.

At 4am on the 29th I got up to go to the bathroom. I laid back in bed and felt the weirdest sensation go through my stomach. Suddenly I thought, "Did my water just break?" I got out of bed and yep, sure enough it had! I woke Blake up and we were really excited to be on our way to the hospital. As we checked in, Blake and I both thought for sure the baby would be born before noon. Instead, we were in for a full day of labor and waiting. 

I kept dialating, but wouldn't thin out. I stayed at 60% then 80% for what seemed like forever. I got my epidural when I was at a 7. The nurses had me change positions to see if we could get the baby's head further down to apply more pressure. After almost 10 hours of labor, Blake was asking the nurse what were the changes of having a c-section. She checked me again and said, "None! We're ready to push." 

I pushed for several hours with my other two kids and fully expected to do it again. I only pushed a few times with the nurse and she goes, "Stop! We need the doctor!" It took my doctor a few minutes to get to me. When he arrived, the nurses told him to hurry and suit up because the baby was coming. A half dozen more pushes and he was here! It was nice after all that waiting and waiting during the day that he was quick to deliver.

Grant W. Millecam
3:11 pm 8lbs 11 oz 21.5 inches long--by far my biggest baby.

Technically and legally, Grant's middle name is just the initial W. It actually is for 3 separate names. Blake's Grandpa was W. Howard Riley (William). My Grandpa Smith was Earl W. Smith (Woodrow) and my Grandpa Campbell was Sidney W. Campbell (Weldon). All 3 were amazing men and we know they are watching over our little guy too. We can't wait to tell Grant about the men he was named for.







The first night was really rough for me recovery wise. I was in a lot of pain and tears were shed in the middle of the night. Luckily Blake is amazing and was willing to do whatever it took to help me feel better. After some paid medication and some TLC from Blake, I was feeling better.
The next morning Blake's parents brought the rest of the crew by. Brooke loves the baby. She made a present for the baby and put it in the box you can see on the bed. She wanted to immediately hold him and has pretty much been by his side ever since. Porter was pretty indifferent at the hospital, but is starting to warm up to him now.


Grant with his present from Brooke: a blanket and stuffed animal

We laughed when we saw his hat the nurses picked for Halloween.



Going home:








We are just relaxing and recovering at home. Going back to being on an infant schedule is an adjustment for everyone but so far so good. Brooke is a good helper with the baby and with Porter. Grant is a perfect little eater so far and is on a good feeding schedule so that makes it predicatable and nice for me. Blake has some time off from work to help and ward members have been great to bring us plenty to eat. We are so thankful for all the help and that Grant is here and he is healthy and happy.

6 comments:

Fun with the Fenton's said...

Congrats! What a handsome boy Grant is & so loved!!

Our ABC Family said...

I'm so excited for your little family! And what a good size baby! He is a doll and it looks like you have some pretty amazing helpers! I love the meaning behind his middle name! Something that will mean a lot to him! Please let me know if I can help in any way. I'd love to take Porter and Brooke to give you some rest or whatever! Congratulations!

Carolyn said...

Congrats!! He is so cute and I love his name! :) Glad it went well and you are home and well.

Hoenes Family said...

Hooray! At first I thought "Oh no! Please tell me she didn't have to have a c-section!" But you didn't! I am relieved for you! So glad he came out when he was good and ready. He looks just perfect! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Such a precious family. I'm sure it is so good just to be home and realizing what the new normal will be. We love you all

Kolbi Young said...

I was thinking about you the whole week leading up to Halloween -- knowing it was baby week. I'm so happy to hear that he arrived healthy and perfect. I bet it still feels a little surreal to have three kids (at least I think it will be for me :). Good luck with the adjustment and sleep deprivation -- at least now you have the perspective that it is just a stage and he will be sleeping before long! Big hugs!