Sunday, April 10, 2016

Easter 2016

 We did a fun and different Easter activity this year. Our recreation center hosts a ducky drop for kids where they fill up the big dumping bucket from the kids area with rubber ducks, pour them out, and then kids try to collect the ducks with numbers on them. The numbers are used for a prize raffle at the end, but each participant goes home with a goody bag and then each kid can hunt for eggs around the pool area. It was fun, but stressful for me since Blake had to work and each of my kids were in different age categories so while I was in the pool with one child, the other one was just sitting (or was supposed to be sitting) alone. Porter especially had a hard time with waiting and being patient for his turn. The kids said they had a good time, but  not sure if it's something we'll next year.

Brooke searching for ducks.

 Porter and his friends waiting for the older kids division to get done so he could have some swim time.
 The Saturday before Easter the kids and I went to the egg hunt at our local dinosaur museum. I haven't done a community Easter egg hunt since Brooke was probably 4 years old. I really hate big crowds, especially when I'm by myself with the kids, so I was reminded why I it had been so long since our last public event like this.

Porter was super scared of the dinosaur mascot. Grant really wasn't a fan either. I couldn't even convince Porter to go stand by the dino for a picture.

 Porter finding eggs. I decided last minute to go to the egg hunt, so I didn't even have baskets for the kids to put their eggs in. I just told them to put them in Grant's stroller!


 We also stopped by the grocery store with a quick picture with the Easter bunny. This time, Porter had no fear. He went right up and sat on the bunny's lap. Grant, however, still wasn't a fan and wouldn't let me put him down/
 After our fun, I tried to get a picture of all three kids with their dinosaur stuffed animals they got at the museum, but of course it's impossible to get a picture of all three of my kid sitting still.
 and all Grant wanted to do was throw his dinosaur onto the floor.
 So, we just took Grant out of the picture entirely!
 Saturday afternoon while Grant was napping, the older two kids and I dyed some Easter eggs.


 Porter was actually really into this year and loved putting all the monster stickers on the eggs.


 Sunday morning, we did things a little differently than usual. This was in part because Blake had to work and wouldn't be home until after dinner. He didn't want to miss all the Easter fun, so the bunny didn't come to our house until the evening. We passed the time before church by making sugar cookies.





 Grant thought he should help too.


 Sunday morning when the kids woke up, this is what the "bunny" left for them. I put out pictures depicting the last week of Christ's life, an egg carton full of Easter "Story" Eggs and a note from the Bunny.


 The kids helped me open the eggs and put them by the correct picture. This was actually a really good activity for the kids and helped bring the spirit into our home Sunday morning. I liked that the focus was on the Savior and what the real meaning of Easter was. I was worried that the kids would be sad going to church and hearing about what all their friends got for Easter, but they weren't even phased by it. Blake and I decided that we'll probably do Easter this way from now on, even when Blake doesn't have to work.

 Brooke was positive that the Easter bunny was going to come while we were at church (he didn't) and she wanted to leave him some carrots and lettuce.

 Trying to get an Easter Sunday picture, yeah right!
 But looks how cute my little man looks in his outfit! The baby mullet just makes the whole thing!




 Grant loves birds and was so excited to see one in our yard.

 After Blake got home from work, he took the kids on a bike ride and guess what? The bunny magically came while they were riding around the block.
 Grant was not interested in finding eggs. He thought the eggs were balls, so he'd pick one up and then just throw it back down again.





 Grant thought Brooke's water bottle was for him.




 Brooke drew a picture of a minion with her chalk she got.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I love that idea for Sunday morning! What a great thing to start!