Some thoughts I've had while reading the last couple of weeks:
It is up to each one of us to become converted to Jesus Christ (Mosiah 27: 24-26). We can hear stories, go to church, and even be touched by someone else's experiences and testimony, but the turning of our hearts to our Savior and his gift of the atonement is a personal one.
The 2017 theme for the young women and young men is "ASK", referring to the scriptures in James 1:5-6 that tell us to ask in faith to receive answers to our own personal questions. As I've been reading the Book of Mormon, I've also been highlighting scriptures that illustrate that point. It was interesting to me to find that each witness in the Book of Mormon has a verse of scripture describing how they knelt and asked the Lord if the things being taught were true, or where they should go/what should they say or do/ asking the Lord to spare their brethren or help them in some way. And those like Lamen and Lemuel, who although they received multiple witnesses from others of the Lord's word and even saw an angel of the Lord, never ask and receive that personal testimony for themselves.
While reading the account of Abinadi, I thought about how many times we wonder if what we're doing is actually making a difference. Abinadi was killed for his prophesying and might not have even known that one person, Alma, believed on his words and was cast out. And look at the effect Alma had on the world...reading this helped me to remember to always follow the promptings of the Spirit, even when you think it might not make much of a difference, because you never know who's life you'll touch or the effect your words or deeds might have on others.
While reading the account of Abinadi, I thought about how many times we wonder if what we're doing is actually making a difference. Abinadi was killed for his prophesying and might not have even known that one person, Alma, believed on his words and was cast out. And look at the effect Alma had on the world...reading this helped me to remember to always follow the promptings of the Spirit, even when you think it might not make much of a difference, because you never know who's life you'll touch or the effect your words or deeds might have on others.
I have loved reading larger sections of the Book of Mormon at a time. In the past, I would read a page or two each night. I was always confused about the timeline of events and had a hard time keeping the stories of the different people straight in my head. As I read now, people and things are starting to make sense (like the whole "reign of the judges" after the people did away with being ruled by a king, finally that phrase makes sense and I understand the history of it). I feel like I'm able to read the Book of Mormon as an account (a journal) of an ancient people instead of something that's confusing to me. I feel a better connection to the people and their trials and triumphs that I haven't felt before.
It's hard to believe that it's been a month since I started this challenge and in just a few short weeks, it will be done. Last week during church, we sang the songs "I Know that my Redeemer Lives" and "I Believe in Christ" I just cried almost all the way through both of those songs. They have always been favorites, but now even more so. Jesus Christ is my "kind, wise heavenly friend" and "I believe in Christ so come what may". Those lines have such power and truth to them!
I read a line in the Book of Mormon a few days ago that said that the Lord was merciful because of Jesus Christ. That really hit home to me. If it weren't for our Savior Jesus Christ, Heavenly Father would have no choice but to pronounce judgement upon us. But because of our Savior and the atonement, He can be merciful and are blessed because of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment