I'm not sure why all my posts suddenly have to do with work, but I'm going with it. I wondered yesterday if my students have even learned anything this year because in one class period I had these two conversations:
student: "Mrs. M, what does 'selor' mean?"
me: "what? Selor?"
student "yeah. I read it in my book and I can't find it in the dictionary and I don't know what it means"
me: "you are going to have to show me because I have no idea"
student then flips through his book to show me the word--selor. I look and just start laughing. I say "It's counselor! Do you see how half of the word is on the other line?"
It looked like this: coun-
selor
Then, just a few minutes later I passed out a review worksheet on finding the main idea in paragraphs. That morning I had accidentally copied part of a worksheet we had done the day before that was about blind people who have guide horses instead of guide dogs. Instead of throwing away a whole bunch of paper I thought "oh well. It will just be easy points for them since we just did it yesterday"
So I'm walking around listening to the different groups work in partners and I overhear the following conversation:
student 1: "this seems soooooo familiar"
student 2 "yeah, it's like I've read it before but I have no idea where!"
student 1: " yeah me too! weird. I cannot think of where I have seen this!"
oh brother! Really guys?! We did this exact worksheet yesterday! Was that so long ago? Apparently they either weren't paying attention all that well or have short-term memory loss. Or both.
Then after school I almost chopped my thumb off using one of those giant paper cutters that have the meat-cleaver thing on the end. This time I was the one not paying attention. Good thing I was alone in the workroom because I screamed and did this little "pain-dance" around the room. My thumbnail has the beginning of a nasty bruise underneath it. I am just glad my thumb wasn't skin-side up. I probably would have cut my thumb wide open.
Only 5 more weeks of school. I can do it!
9 comments:
Yikes! That paper cutting story made me squirm! Kids are hilarious. I like your stories, keep them coming!
Do you ever wonder if we were that clueless at that age?
Courtney you are such a good sport to even be a teacher! Especially to middle school vernal kids. I get it, trust me!
Yikes, those things scare me! Reggie prays for bad weather this time of year-he says it helps his students pay better attention!
what! No video of the pain dance! I am laughing so hard! Oh and I was watching that Smarter than a 5th grader show the other day and those questions are hard! I am in no way convinced that those are 5th grade questions, but I do think your kids should have done better at recognizing the worksheet! SO funny!
Hilarious! Those kids must have summer on the brain. I cut the tip of my finger off while cutting fabric. It wasn't fun. Consider yourself extremely lucky!!!
Hey...we never took your pictures in January. I haven't forgotten. Let me know when you'll be up!
You CAN do it! As I kid, I felt so sorry for myself towards the end of the year. Now, I feel so sorry for the teachers! You are awesome!
Courtney, what a whirlwind of a year for all three of you. Time flies after it is over. That doesn't make sense but right now I feel the same way. Seven months will drag and when it is over I will say, where did it go. Congratulations on Tenure. That is spectacular. Means you never will get kicked out of school until you are ninety-two and can't see or hear unless you do something really bad; like look at the principal wrong. Love you so much.
Post a Comment