Sunday, July 11, 2010

Leftovers

Here is a leftover story from our 4th weekend. The night we launched fireworks, we thought we added a new addition to our family:
She had been living in the wood pile and came out to investigate the noises. My niece, E. (known as the "cat whisperer") got her to sit on her lap and was loved and petted by all the cousins. Somehow this kitty was dubbed "Sham-Wow" or "shammy" for short. As cute as she is, I was pretty hesitant about getting another pet. How do all these strays keep finding us? I tried to convince several family members to take the cat home with them, but all left cat-less. I am a sucker for cute little animals and was starting to think it wouldn't be so bad if we kept her. Brooke absolutely loved her.
Later, Gunner got his sights on her and chased her up a tree. I then had to rescue her.
And I immediately put out an internet ad for a free cat. Thankfully our neighbors eased my guilt about this poor cat by asking if we had noticed one hanging around. Theirs had run away while they'd been gone all weekend. PRESTO! Problem solved! (Oh, and the cats name is actually Lucy.) I know that is a pretty uninteresting story, but it's been a slow week at our house.

In other random news Brooke has a sty in her eye. It's so sad. Her eyelid is all swollen and red. We're supposed to put a warm compress on in 3-4 times a day for 15 minutes. Brooke will only allow us to do it while she is sleeping so it's been a slow process getting rid of it.

Blake and his brother are mountain biking crazies! They went to Sundance for an afternoon to do all the downhill trails there. Blake had a mean wreck (thankfully landing on his un-injured shoulder) and has some pretty gnarly cuts and bruises to show for it.
This is not a video of Blake's wreck. Just them going off a jump at wicked speeds. Like I said, crazy...


And that's all folks! Brooke starts a kindermusic class tomorrow that I am really excited for. I think she'll love it.

6 comments:

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

Sham-wow is still a much cooler name than Lucy (boring). I'm sure your guilt will be removed now that you know she has a home! Tell Blake to take it easy on the bike! He isn't in his 20's anymore...oh wait he is! In that case...enjoy your body while you can. Forty happens fast!

Nicole said...

OK that is insane! Those trees are right there! And seriously, was shoulder surgery not enough to slow him down... oh well. Last week 3 bikers surprised a grizzly and her cubs and got attacked on a trail in the same basic area where we were last week. And we saw tons of bike tracks mingled with bear prints on our hike. Scary!

Kolbi Young said...

Love the cat story - and the fact that you can't neglect a stray :) We woke up the other night at 1:30 a.m. to a cat fight on our front porch. We're not as nice as you....I was trying to talk Tyler into getting out his BB gun. Darn strays. Those darn animals woke the whole house up - did you know cats can cry just like a baby??? That was news to me.

mare said...

looks like an awesome fourth! so jealous of the boating. and i LOVE mtn. biking those trails-- i'm missing the mtns. like crazy. that is so sad about brooke's sty! i've never heard of a baby having one-- how weird--hope it goes away soon.

Ryanne said...

So is that the problem with her eye you were telling me about? Poor girl! Is it clearing up? I'm glad the kitty found its home.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad about sham-wow! I can't wait to tell Jer, Ellie and Jesse. I felt bad leaving you with it! Good job Blake your a natural!!! Oh on the blogging I just updated all those posts in a day but used the old trick of adding the correct dates, so it just looks like I'm on top of things!