Monday, July 5, 2010

Fourth Festivities

I love the Fourth of July. It's probably one of my favorite holidays. Blake's siblings have made it a tradition to come out to our side of the state for the holiday. And this year was no exception. They arrived Friday night and stayed until Monday morning. During those 4 days we packed in lots of eating, a day at the lake, fireworks (including a sketchy episode involving some questionable fireworks shooting towards the crowd and then almost lighting the field on fire), and lots of playtime with the cousins.
We hit the lake bright and early Saturday morning. It was my first time wakeboarding this year, and I was happy that I was still able to get up! Brooke loved playing in the water.
Brooke sharing some twizzlers with her cousin on the boat; Sharing her sippy cup with cousin K; and the cousins mesmerized by our family fireworks show.
This was Brooke's first year staying up late to watch fireworks. She loved them! She sat with her cousins the entire time and squealed in delight and clapped her hands.
Sunday afternoon we went on a hike. It was a little rainy, but still a good time.
Monday morning was the 4th of July parade. Brooke did pretty good watching it. She would get antsy but then anytime there was a loud noise or siren she would stop and try to see where it was coming from. I did a pretty easy 4th outfit for Brooke this year. Just a red tanktop over a white shirt. My favorite part were her patriotic hair-bows.

Other favorite cousin moments:
J. was such a good friend to Brooke always looking out for her, playing with her & pulling her in the wagon.Cousin A. was also a great helper! She is the closest girl cousin to Brooke and they get along great. It was definitely the girl cousins who were little mommies to Brooke. 3 yr. old boy cousin J. kept saying "I hate that baby" meaning Brooke. I think he was tired of us saying "J. she's too little..."

We had a fantastic weekend! I hope there are many more fun weekends like those this summer.

9 comments:

Nicole said...

so fun! I love Brooke's hairbow. Did you make it? We didn't do a parade or anything this year since it was on Sunday and right during church. We did see fireworks on July 3rd at midnight so technically on the 4th. It was almost dark and Olivia loved the ones that made her "heart boom really fast."

Fun with the Fenton's said...

Wow! Looks like you had a really great 4th of July weekend!!

The Sugar Loaf said...

We have a boring holiday but afterward, it is like Christmas. The presents of pictures after you have all been together are honestly so fun. We have been looking at your blog, Smilebox Stephanie sent, and old posts for two hours now. And do we care if the mission goes to heck. Not one minute if we have photos to look at. Thank you again for having everyone. The girls look so big. The boys look so little and cute. And the parents are just wonderful. Thanks for remembering the cemetery and the tree. He loved being with you all. Our love to you!

The Sugar Loaf said...

Oh by the way Courtney, I am reading New Moon, trying to remember a two-year read of Twilight. Then a girl loaned me Eclipse. So I will try and read the two and then hopefully the third one. Then maybe we could have a marathon feast and watch whichever ones are out. Lots of popcorn and soda. Love you!

The Sugar Loaf said...

Well, I tried to comment before and I must have not 'Published' so I will try again. The Fourth of July looks like everyone really had fun. We are still laughing about the fireworks...glad John wasn't there actually. The picture of you, Blake and Courtney on the mountain together is perfect. And all the Kids look like they are so enjoying each other. Thank you so very much for letting everyone come. It is a great tradition and we have many memories. Thank you for blogging this one. Give Brooke a kiss. She looks so cute at the parade sitting on the curb. I get the idea all the girls want to be her mother. Why not? You couldn't get any cuter than her. But now she turns around and helps Karson. All in the cycle of life.

Sarah H. said...

That looks like so much fun! Your trips to the lake fill me with so much jealousy! It looks like you had a great 4th of July!

Ryanne said...

J sounds like how Connor is with other babies, too funny! I love her hairbows, you all look really festive. So who was doing the questionable fireworks. . .

Sarah said...

What a fun weekend! I've never been wake boarding -- go you! I love Brooke's hair bows. Did you make them?

Syme Family said...

Looks like you guys had a fun 4th. Brook is so cute. Isn't it nice when the older cousins look for your kids and give you a little break.I love the hair bows. Did you make them. They are way cute.