Friday, March 11, 2011

Siblings, gotta love 'em

I used one of my favorite children's stories to teach a lesson to my 7th graders about cause and effects and problem/solutions: It's about a boy who thinks he's figured out how to hypnotize his sister into thinking she is a dog. It's a pretty cute story. Before we started reading, I opened up the discussion by asking my students to think about their own siblings and of course that got me thinking about mine:
So I told some stories about how my sister and I used to fight all the time, but I liked it when she took us to the park. And how my younger brother Stephen used to make me want to strangle him. Especially when he yelled out to an entire restaraunt that we were "best brother and sister" and when he'd wear crazy clothes to school in high school and people would ask "Like, isn't that brother wearing that "kilt" and bright pink shirt?" (as you can see from the above picture, wearing crazy clothes is still his thing!).
So...that led to some interesting answers from my students about their own siblings. I asked them to fill out this questionaire about their siblings and here are some of the answers just made me laugh right out loud!
What do your siblings do/say that bug you?
Student #1's answer: Everything that comes out of their mouths
Do you think your relationship with your siblings will change over time?
Student #2's answer: Yes, we will be alone and married
Write a memory that involves you and your sibling:
Student #3's answer: I took the remote control from my sister and she choked me and I almost died.

Oh siblings, we love you!

8 comments:

Sarah H. said...

LOL! That is so funny! I remember you being so embarrassed about Stephen. It is so funny how our sibling relationships have changed. I love my crazy sister now, but she used to drive me crazy when she wore my clothes.

The Crace's said...

She choked me and I almost died. That's awesome. Courtney, please never quit teaching. You have the best stories.

Anonymous said...

That is too dang funny! I guess in 7th grade I didn't love them either!

Hoenes Family said...

The remote control was a serious issue at my house. I understand the choking thing ;) My brother once picked me up by the shirt and threw me across the room all the while telling me that I had ruined his Sabbath Day. All over the remote control! Good times.

Nicole said...

That is so funny! I don't think any of us ever fought that much. Maybe Ben and Jared when they were little, but I mostly remember the 3 of us playing and then you two "kids" tagging along after us. I remember hating how I had to share a room with you but I loved it when you or Stephen would crawl in my bed when you had nightmares. You used to climb up the ladder to the top bunk to sleep with me all the time. You were probably 4 or 5. So no one choked anybody at our house over the remote!

Adrienne said...

i would do everything in my power to get on one brother's good side and the other I just tormented... figured that was my right as the baby and only girl

Ryanne said...

Those are cute pictures of you and your siblings! Great replies from your students too!

Sarah said...

As kids, the things we fought about seemed so important. Yet looking back, I am sure most of the fights were over insignificant things like sitting in the front seat of the car. Now as a parent I think, "My parents put up with a lot."

Your students are awesome, by the way.