Oh, but the conference was worth it! There were tons of vendors for teachers like Scholastic and Usborne Books and others who were giving away free products. I even won a free book and bought several others. We went to 3 breakout sessions and got to listen to 3 amazing keynote speakers. One was Neal Shustermen who is a fabulous YA author. He's written some great stories like:
And
(this one is a trillogy and the first book is going to be made into a movie.) I even got some of his book signed and this time I wasn't so selfish about my book signing. I got extra copies signed to give away in a raffle for my students and I also got a book signed for a certain nephew who lives in Alaska (Merry Christmas!). Neal Shusterman has also written a hilarious YA books called The Shwa was Here. We also heard from Ally Condie. She talked a lot about her new book coming out Nov. 1
Some interesting things she said:- if you are interested in writing yourself, if you write 219 words per day, at the end of a year, you would have a book that is almost 80,000 words long. Pretty cool!
- The rights to Matched (her first book in this trillogy) have been sold to Disney to make into a movie
- The scenery for Crossed is based on the scenery from Southern UT which is where she is from.
- Her brother Nick, appears in the book as a character named Vic and she said he turned out to be more of an important character than he had any right to be.
- The colors for the cover (Green, Blue, and the third one will be Red) are based on the colors of the pills the characters take in the book.
And because I am the biggest nerd ever, my favorite keynote speaker came from a guy named Jeff Anderson who spoke on editing. He had all of us laughing our heads off by telling nerdy English jokes. He talked about a book called The Shallows which explores the question: Is the internet making us stupid? He claims that by browsing through information we are teaching a generation not to pay attention to details and that explains why there are more traffic accidents and why students can't retain information. Very interesting. Basically, he summed it up with this picture:
Jeff Anderson also talked about how Daily Oral Language (DOLs) where you have students come in and correct sentences written on the board that have errors in them (I'm sure you did this in school. I know I did and I know I have my students do this too) has no research to support that it actually improves student writing. As a teacher, I know this to be true. Anyway, his presentation was very inspiring thought provoking.
As a nerd, I was very satisfied.
5 comments:
As a fellow nerd (though not the exact same kind of nerd as you), I am glad you had a great time. I am going to a nerd conference of my own this week (all about nutrition and science-y stuff) and I hope I am as satisfied as you were. Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, I love the picture going around Facebook that says, "Let's Eat Grandma" You know the one? I totally think of you whenever I see it!
I must be a nerd, too because I think your conference sounded really interesting. It makes me want to be an English teacher.
That sounded like lots of fun. I lover professional conferences!
I love that we are all nerds. I need a nerdy conference to go to. And since a certain nephew in Alaska doesn't read your blog...mums the word. And I want to know your opinion on e-readers? I REALLY want a NOOK. I have too many books and not enough space. Our libraries suck and all I do is wrack up fines so I want one. Carter and I are reading I Am Number 4 using the Nook app and I am buying The Power of Six soon for it too. With your Ipad do you use any e-readers? Would you get one? Does your library support e-lending? Did your speaker say anytihng about that. As a historian I worry about the written, paper word getting lost and feel a bit of a hypocrite leaning towards e-books for my new purchases...what do you think?
And what a long post this is!
And lets not eat Grandma...use a COMMA!
And if I were to go back to school for something it might be Editing!
And I want to write my 218 words a day!
Jealous!!! I love that you are a nerd!
Post a Comment