Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Holiday Favorites

Before I get into my post, I have to show off my latest project. I am always looking for activities for Brooke to do during church and found a some file folder games I decided to make. And when I say "I" made them, I really mean that I had my student aide color them, cut them out and glue them together. I just laminated everything and put the velcro on. There are way more games than what is pictured here, but I am going to slowly add a few games at a time to a binder we keep in our church bag. So far, they are a huge hit; Brooke loves them.Okay, onto our holiday favorites. There are so many things I love about this time of year. From the lights to thinking of fun gift ideas for people I love, putting together neighbor plates of treats, Christmas cards and of course reflecting on the real reason for the season. One of our favorite things to do (when we can) is go see this musical: The message of the play is beautiful, the songs are uplifting and Blake and I just love it. We recently went Saturday night with Blake's parents and had a really fun time. It really puts in perspective what the season is all about.

On the wordly side, I cannot let a December go by without watching some of our favorite Christmas movies:

Also: A Christmas Story, Home Alone, It's A Wonderful Life, Christmas Vacation..just to name a few.


Friday night was our ward Christmas party. Santa comes to it and this year I wasn't sure how Brooke would react. Now, Brooke has never been afraid of Santa. Curious about him, a little shy, but never scared. I was wondering if this would be the year when "stranger danger" would kick in and she would cry. Nope. She could barely contain her excitment while we were waiting in line. In fact, as we got closer and could actually see him, Brooke got away from Blake and cut in front of a group of girls and ran up to Santa to give him a big hug and sit on his lap. When asked what she wanted for Christmas, Brooke replied, "A Christmas tree" Sweet! We can do that!Brooke also loves the Christmas lights. We have probably driven around to look at lights several times already this year. Brooke says "pretty!" or "Boo-e-ful" (beautiful) when she sees them. Thankfully, lots of people on our street have lights up now so that saves us from having to drive around our neighborhood everytime we come home.


Here is Brooke dressed in jammies and a hat made by Honey ready to go look at lights on evening:I have gotten a couple requests for pictures of our tree in our house. I am not a decorater! So don't expect anything fancy:


We had to rearrange our furniture to fit the tree. Next year, the tree might go in our downstairs family roomSome of our favorite ornaments: First Christmas


Brooke's First ChristmasAnd a new one this year: We got this on our CruiseFinally, some of you may have seen on FB that Brooke was running around wearing two swimsuits on Saturday afternoon, insisting that she was going swimming. She also found a flipper (aka spatula) and was doing karate moves with it and saying "hi-ya" Well, to appease her swimming bug she settled for a bath instead:
And while she was taking a bath last night Brooke said to me, "Mommy you can't see my owies." (she has 2 bandaides on her knees where she skinned them..one of them is a batman bandaide) and I said, "Why not?" and she replied, "Because Batman is too scary."

8 comments:

Ryanne said...

You are so good making those velcro books. I've yet to do that but I know my kids would have (S and C) and would (J) love them. I love seeing your Christmas tree and stockings. That is such a good spot for the tree though, it looks great! I love how it looks in front of the window. And I love your stockings going down the railing.

The one thing I wish our ward would do is have Santa come. That would be so nice. Our party is Thursday but I get to do it solo with the kids because its Parent-teacher conference for the high school and seminary. We'll see how it goes . . .

Unknown said...

Yes! Elf is our favorite, too (as well as all the others on your list--we must have similar taste!) Brooke sure is doing some cute things these days. Love that she is not afraid of Santa. Wish I could say the same for my 6-year-old! Your tree looks great. It looks like a real one--it is right? How is it trying to find one around here? You'll have to fill me in.

Syme Family said...

I have those same velcro books. Paula Covington gave them to me. My kids love them too. It is a good thing to rotate them. They look really cute you did a good job. Your house looks so cute decorated for Christmas. I love your Christmas tree.

Kolbi Young said...

I need a student aide to help with some of my well-intentioned projects :) I really hate crafts...but you know that :) Love the quiet folders!!!

Brooke looks darling on Santa's lap! Isn't this such a weird tradition - go sit on a stranger's lap and smile! I can see why kids are reluctant! And a christmas tree is about as easy of request as they come. Ryker is now going through the Sunday ads saying, "I yant dis for twismas....I yant dis for twismas...." Oh, boy!

Sarah H. said...

Oh my goodness, Brooke is so funny. I love the pink outfit she had ready to go look at Christmas lights. Your tree looks awesome, I think I almost have my Christmas shopping for Jed done...so at least if the baby comes early I can send him out for other people's gifts.

Our ABC Family said...

Love the tree! :) And I love some of your favorites! I too love Forgotten Carols! It just really helps to bring in the true spirit of christmas! Brooke sure is a cutie, and I swear everytime I see her she has grown even more!

Nicole said...

Yeah can I send stuff for your student aid to do too? Like my laundry? I love our tree but it is so much work to decorate it! Its still in the garage... but I gave up neighbor gifts and this year the ice has kept us off our roof so no lights on the house...so I better at least decorate the tree like I always do work or not!

The Sugar Loaf said...

Love your nice, neat front room. It looks so large compared to our motor home. Brooke looks so angelic with Santa Claus. Surely he will bring many nice gifts to her since she is so darn cute. Your tree is beautiful and I can just smell it.i