Monday, December 19, 2011

What a Weekend!

I think trying to fit 2 big events into one weekend, combined with being 8 months pregnant wasn't the smartest idea, but alas we did it and survived.

I try to not to make Brooke's birthday into an "event" but somehow every year it turns into one. It started on Friday (the 16th) when she celebrated at her sitter's house. I brought cupcakes for the kids and she got to wear a happy birthday crown. H. said she didn't take it off all day.

Saturday (Brooke's actual birthday) Blake and I had plans to leave Brooke with his parents so we could drive to SLC for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert. We made reservations at the Marriot on Temple Square and were looking foward to some time together to be able to eat out, see the lights, and attend the concert on Sunday morning. 7:30am on Saturday Blake calls and leaves this message for me, "um..my parents house is on fire. I'm on my way over right now. Don't come. We might not be going to SLC today." Of course I am panicking, thinking their house is burning to the ground. I waited an hour and hadn't heard again from Blake so I called him for an update. He said that the fire was contained to his parent's bedroom and there was quite a bit of damage done to one of the walls. They were in the middle of cleaning up and he was going to stay there as long as they needed him. At that point, I didn't know if our trip was cancelled or not. I went about my Saturday cleaning and getting our house ready to host Brooke's birthday party on Sunday. Finally, around 11 I heard from Blake saying they had gotten the damage cleaned up, the house was livable and that we could go ahead and go on our trip. But considering the circumstances, his parents would not be able to watch Brooke for us. Thankfully Blake's sister stepped in and offered to take Brooke over night for us. I hurried and packed a bag for all of us and off we went to the city!


We got Brooke situated with Blake's family and they did a little mini party for her that night. Apparently Brooke got hammered on root beer :) while Blake and I did our thing. We got our sea-food fix at Market Street Grill, walked around Temple Square, and enjoyed an amazing Christmas Concert in the Conference Center, not to mention a kid free stay at our hotel. We picked up Brooke Sunday afternoon and were on our way home. I am so glad we took the time to walk around Temple Square. We haven't done that in many, many years. And without Brooke, we were able to take our time and enjoy the spirit that was felt there.We got home a few hours before our party guests were to arrive. I cooked some appetizers (spinach-artichoke dip, sweet & sour meatballs, a veggie tray) and got things ready for the party. We are lucky and blessed to have such good friends and family around. It was a little crazy at our house with all the people/kids running around, but it was fun to be together. Thank you to everyone who brought food/presents.Trying to get a picture of Brooke with her cards--she was way too excited


Brooke's friend Adelle was Brooke's helper--it was too cute!Opening presents: She got a Little Einsteins DVD, lacing cards, 2 books and a new doll from Blake and I. From friends she got coloring stuff, stickers, Hungry-Hungry Hippos, and a puzzle--it was perfectWhen we'd say "Brooke, show us" She would stand up and do this move:Blake was in charge of taking pictures during presents, but instead he just did a video: Brooke was really funny because when we'd tell her who the present was from, she would go over and give the present to that person. I think she is still trying to figure this whole thing out.




The cake: I knew Brooke would LOVE this cake. However I was not prepared for the ginormous fit Brooke threw when she first saw it. She wanted the crown (she called it her "castle head" and wand right away and did not want to wait until it was time. I finally had to hide it from her and she had a time out (I know, on her bday) to cool off.
Singing Happy Birthday:





Adelle, Brooke, Keaton, and Talton--there were also two one year olds running around Brooke loved her new doll!And this is typical BrookeLove you Birthday Girl!By the time the last person left, I was exhausted! We put Brooke to bed and went to bed soon after ourselves. Now to gear up for Christmas weekend.

4 comments:

The Crace's said...

You are crazy! Glad everything worked out with your mini trip and Blake's parents are okay! That was probably a little nerve racking. And of course, Happy Birthday to Brooke!

Nicole said...

Oh sis it sounds like a page from one of my weekends. Fun for all except the um, house fire! Holy crap! And we have that Groovy Girl doll too. Olivia started getting them when she was 3 and plays with them all the time. Happy Birthday Brooke!

Ryanne said...

What a weekend! I didn't know about all that! I'm so glad you guys got to go and enjoy SL and that Brooke's birthday turned out so well. Her cake is ADORABLE!

The Sugar Loaf said...

Such a fun party. I am so glad Danielle took Brooke so you could still go to SLC. Sorry about the mix-up but know you always understand plan Z. We are so grateful you Guys are here close to us. It is so fun. That Birthday girl is sure grown up. What a change since I rocked her in the rocking chair three years ago.
What a joy and a blessing. The temple pictures are beautiful!