Day 3: Ensenada, Mexico
Today was honestly kind of a bust. I was not impressed at all with this port. But we tried to make the best of it anyway. We got off the boat not really sure where to go or what we wanted to do. Of course there were local companies willing to take us on tours of the island. We found one who offered us this deal 1) a tour of the island on the way to La Buffadora (or the blowhole--one of three natural ocean blowholes in the world) and 2) free lunch when we got back--all for $15 per person. Sweet, we thought, and bought our tickets.
I'm sorry and don't mean to offend, but Mexico is dirty and gross. Trash was everywhere, people's half drunken beer cans left over on the sidewalks from the night before. On our tour, we passed vegetable crop on the side of busy highways littered with trash. Yeah, make sure you wash your veggies.Seeing this made so very grateful that I live where I do.
The drive to La Buffadora was 40 minutes one way, so we got a very good tour of Ensenada. The blowhole was okay. If you've seen Old Faithful in Yellowstone, I thought that gave a better show.
The scenery here, I thought, was very pretty.
We did some shopping at these flea markets near the blowhole. We bought Brooke a really cute Mexican shirt and pants outfit. Then headed back into the city for our free lunch--that wasn't actually free. It turned out that you had to buy a $2 drink and then got all the beans, rice, and toquitos you wanted. If you wanted a taco you had to pay for it. Plus the music at the restaraunt was so loud. We couldn't even talk over it and it was giving me a headache. Forget that! We decided we could have a great meal, one included in our cruise price, on the boat. So we did.
We were going to go to the beach after lunch, but we all had such a bad taste in our mouth of Mexico we just decided to hang out on the boat. We went to the Serenity deck that is an area just for adults: padded lawn chairs that overlook the ocean and large hot tubs to relax in. I read my book, and the couples kind of split up and did their own thing for the afternoon. We met up for dinner that night, saw a comedian after dinner, went to the live show in the theater, and stayed up late for the midnight Mexican buffet and dance party. So even though the day started kind of rough, it ended on a good note and with some yummy food!





2 comments:
LOL We had a picture taken with the happy painted guy (a pepper?) in that same spot in Ensenada. :) I had a similar impression when we were there -- it was dirty, poor, and all about the drinking. I think tourism is big business for them. Some of the people on our tour did a horseback riding trip and the horses looked so malnourished, I wondered if some of them were going to make it. It was sad. I think Southern Mexico may be more authentic. At least you got to enjoy a little quiet time on the boat. :)
We went there on our honeymoon. The blowhole was one of the few things we could do since we were too young to rent anything. I had to bring our marriage license on the cruise since I was under 21 and there's so much alcohol on board.
Post a Comment