Monday, October 30, 2017

Happy Birthday Grant

Our little guy turned 3 years old on the 29th and we can hardly believe it! Three years went by incredibly fast and it's hard for me not to get all teary-eyed thinking about the day Grant was born.

If we could sum Grant up in one word it would be SWEET. Many people have told us what a sweet disposition Grant has. He is quick to say "please" and "thank you" without being prompted and hates to see anyone upset or hurt. He says "sorry" when he's in trouble and will cry even if you barely use an angry voice at him. It makes it really hard not to get mad at him because one little quiver of his bottom lip and I just gather him into my lap and hug him.

Grant will come find me during the day and ask to sit on my lap and snuggle with him. "Mommy, can I snuggle with you?" If you try to give him a nickname like "buddy" or "buster" he will say, "No! I'm Mommy's sweetheart!"  He'll often come up to me and say "Mom, I'm still your sweetheart!"

He's totally potty-trained and talks non-stop all day long. He asks tons of questions and loves to sing songs. He really wants to be big like the older kids and constantly asks when is it his turn to go to school.

Grant was adamant that it was NOT his birthday when we told him it was coming up. But as soon as he came downstairs and saw the decorations, he changed his tune!
 Over the years I've made a few of my kid's birthday cakes with  mixed results. This one ended up being fine, but the process had me in tears! The first cake I made overflowed the pan resulting in it spilling onto the bottom of the oven and filling the house with smoke and lovely burnt smell. That cake went down the garbage disposal. Attempt #2 went a little better, but as I was frosting the cake huge chunks started crumbling off. Blake even ask me, "Do you want to just throw it away and I'll go buy one?" No, dang it! Grant said he wanted a cake with a monster truck on it and I wanted to give him one if it killed me! I finally had to abandon the picture of perfection I had in my mind and  just go for it.
 It's supposed to be grass (the green frosting) with a muddy trail leading to the top. Use your imagination...



 The kids were so sweet and spent all afternoon while Grant was napping to make homemade presents for him. Brooke made a rocket ship out of paper for him, Porter drew a picture for him and wrapped up several of his own toys to give to Grant.



Happy Birthday my sweet boy!

No comments: