It's interesting to me that since starting this challenge a week ago, a lot of my thoughts have revolved around a comment a friend of mine made during a lesson we had at church on the Resurrection.
During this lesson, which was on the Resurrection because it was almost Easter, my friend Becca made the comment that she loved how it was a woman who was the first to see the Resurrected Christ. Mary was permitted this blessing because she had gotten up early and went to his tomb, wanting to be close to him. Likewise, what are we doing in our daily lives to actively seek out Christ? How can we rise and look for him each day?
I have been thinking about this comment for the past seven months. In my own personal life, I know that I don't rise and look for Christ as often as I should. Most of the time I rise and check for missed texts or emails, then look at my social media accounts before my kids wake up. I would leave my scripture reading until right before bed, when I was tired and often just wanting to get it over with.
I knew going into this challenge I was going to have to change my reading habits to accommodate the time it would take to read 10 pages each day. While I can't say that I immediately start reading my scripture as soon as I wake up, I do read my scriptures earlier in the day and I love the affect its had. I can a tell a difference in an added measure of the spirit that I have with me throughout the day. On Saturday I didn't read in the morning and as the day progressed I felt myself getting frustrated and upset about some set backs I was experiencing. I was filled with a lot of contention and anger and all of a sudden the thought occurred to me: "You need to read your scriptures; you haven't read them yet today." Not that reading solved my problems, but I needed to feel that peace and reassurance that God knows me and is aware of my trials that comes through reading His words.
Some other things I noticed while reading this week: The Book of Mormon REALLY IS another Testament of Jesus Christ. Whenever I heard that before, my mind would always jump to 3 Nephi where Christ shows himself to the people of the Americas. But really, in first few chapters of the book, there are prophecies of His birth and role as our Savior and Redeemer. I have loved seeing all the references to Him and to our Heavenly Father. There are so many! I never realized just how many until I started this challenge.
Another thing I've loved is a fresh perspective while reading. I've grown up my whole life hearing the stories in the scriptures and reading the Book of Mormon at church and at home. I feel like I needed this fresh perspective of searching for references to God and Jesus Christ to make the words and stories come alive for me again and gain some new understanding.
No comments:
Post a Comment