Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Finding Christ in the BOM: Week 2

I'm a little behind posting my weekly thoughts on my experience this week reading 10 pages of the Book of Mormon each day until Christmas Eve.

I noticed this week that the initial excitement/ "spiritual feast" I felt during the first week started to wane a little. The desire to complete the challenge was still there, but as I read some difficult verses (chapters of the book of Isaiah being quoted and 77 verses in Jacob of the parable of the wild olive branches) it was really hard for me to focus and comprehend everything. Parts of it were beautiful and other parts I had no idea what Isaiah was talking about. I hate to admit it, but those parts dragged and I found myself mentally counting down the pages until I'd be done with that section.

But then I made my own connections to my experiences reading to how Christ works in my own life. Sometimes the things we go through in life are difficult to understand. We have trials that we can't wait to be over or difficult times in our lives where time seems to drag and it feels like this "season" will never end. But, just like in these sections of scripture, Christ is there--we might just have to look little harder to find Him. And it's okay if we don't understand everything--Whether it's the words of the prophet Isaiah or situations in our lives, all we can do is try.

Building a relationship with Him is like any other relationship: it takes time, it takes patience, and it takes work. A relationship with our Savior takes dedication. During the first week I was doing so good reading my scriptures earlier in the day when I was more alert. Part of my problem during week 2 was that life got busy and I pushed off to what should have been a priority to the end of the day and tried to read those ten pages before bed. It wasn't working so well for me. Now that week three has started, I've been better about dedicating time to read my scriptures earlier in the day again.

Another thought I've been pondering last week had to do with when I have trials in my life, mostly when I'm overcome with huge bout of frustration, my first instinct is to push everything away. Why even bother going to church? I'll just stay home. I'm upset so I'm not going to read my scriptures tonight, I'll watch this TV show instead because that will make me feel better.  I can see now how that is counterproductive. It's during those times in my life I should be clinging to the scriptures, to the words from Sabbath day lessons, to my personal prayers-- to find that peace I need to make it through my frustrations. The world is LOUD and says "turn to me, I will fill your life with temporary distractions so you can forget your troubles for a  moment" Our Savior is quiet and says "I will give you peace. I will give you comfort. I will help shoulder your burdens and make them bearable."

It makes the words of this scripture so true--it's my favorite one describing our Savior and when I got to it in 2 Nephi when Isaiah is being quoted it was already highlighted. I wish I could highlight it a thousand times because I love it so much:

No comments: