Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Let's Be Honest

I've been teaching for about a week now and our life has slowly adjusted to our new routine. Blake's schedule changed 2 days ago and now Brooke is picked up from her babysitter by mid-morning and gets to spend the rest of the day with daddy until I get home. This gives me so much happiness knowing that Brooke and Blake are together. At first I was more nervous about Blake being alone with Brooke than I was with Brooke and the sitter. I came home and needed a detailed play by play about every vegetable eaten and diaper soiled. But then today I found these pictures on the camera and know that she is in good hands:
Blake is such a good daddy. And a great Mr. Mom too. By the time I get home the house is clean and all is well. It also means on the days Blake works we spend about 3 minutes together in passing as I come home and he leaves for work. But, let's be honest: I kind of like it. Did your jaw just drop in horror that I admitted that so freely? No, our marriage isn't in trouble. Our schedules are only like this 2 days a week. On those days that I come home and he heads off, I am free to have cereal for dinner, and after Brooke goes to bed I shamelessly watch episodes of "Dawson's Creek" & "Grey's Anatomy" that I rented from the library (we don't have cable anymore so I make do). It's kind of nice. It also makes the other days extra special when I do come home and he doesn't have to go anywhere.

Last night I had to take Brooke out right before bed to chase down a dog that had wandered off & Brooke seemed excited for the adventure:
Can you believe I will have a one year old in 15 days?

10 comments:

Our ABC Family said...

Glad things are going well for you guys! :) I love Brooke's hat, too cute!
We need to try and get together sometime again. I know all of our schedules are crazy, but hopefully we can work something out sometime.

m@R(! said...

what an awesome dad! i am glad you admit that it is nice to have your husband gone in the evening. Jon has been traveling quite a bit the last few months and it is nice. no dinners to make or house to clean. :)

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

Blake is awesome. You two are so great together. Remember to hug... a real hug as you pass in your day/night. Such a cute fam.

Courtney said...

I LOVE that picture of Brooke ready to hunt for a dog. SO CUTE. BTW, she is ALL girl to me. Those people you run into are crazy.

I have been so excited to hear how you are adjusting and how it is going. I LOVE that you found those pictures. What a nice surprise!

Don't tell Jake, but once in a great while I miss those college nights when it used to be just me. I would shamelessly read for two hours or watch a chick flick while snacking on a tub of frosting. Glad to hear I am normal.

Ryanne said...

I agree, I don't like Reggie gone all the time but those evenings that I get the kids to bed and have some time all by myself... I really enjoy them. Brooke looks so cute in that picture.

Nicole said...

while we are being honest sometimes I "forget" to wake JaDee from Olivia's bed (where she needs her Daddy to sleep with her) just to have a little space of my own with no ones arm draped across me or to have the covers to myself.
Love Brooke's little hat!

Nicole said...

while we are being honest sometimes I "forget" to wake JaDee from Olivia's bed (where she needs her Daddy to sleep with her) just to have a little space of my own with no ones arm draped across me or to have the covers to myself.
Love Brooke's little hat!

Carol said...

So good to hear that you all are getting used to the new schedule, and finding the positives in it!
:0) When Cris and Matt were small their dad and I worked on different shifts 10 out of 14 days, so on the 4 nights he was home my schedule with her was all messed up! But I too felt that "liberation" of having time to myself. . . though I didn't have a Mr. Mom . . . so you are fortunate!!! The pictures are darling . . . hard to believe she's almost 1!!!! And if I haven't said it before, her house is just adorable, and you and Blake get the best pictures of her. Her little expressions are really captured, and I LOVE 'em!

Kolbi Young said...

I have so much to catch up on! So glad to hear that the transition is going well. It sounds a bit similar to our schedule. Tyler also works a couple of nights a week....and I seem to find myself shopping and eating out those nights - ha! While he works, I spend :) And since Ty is home all day on Monday with the babe, I sometimes have to remind myself that we just do some things differently. And it's okay.

Nicole said...

JaDee loves that you just learned what Giblets mean. And he laughs at your chasing after dogs and thinks Brooke is so dang cute! Love YOU!