Saturday, March 6, 2010

Motivation

Maybe it's because winter seems to be dragging forever, or maybe it's because I am really looking forward to something that is making time go by so slow, but I am having a serious lack of motivation lately. Anyone else? I have to take the teaching Praxis PLT test next Saturday. I've known about it for a month now and do you think I have even started studying for it? Do you think this looming deadline has made me want to start studying? That would be a big fat NO! Oh I've looked over the test outline a few times and know what kinds of questions they will ask and I figure that is good enough for me. Maybe I should be more worried about it than I am, but my experience with the Praxis tests have been that you can usually use deductive reasoning to figure out the multiple choice questions and I figure I am an experienced enough teacher to work my through the short answer questions. And barely passing is still passing in my book! Hmmm.. maybe my students have been rubbing off on me too much because that's not a very good attitude to have. But that is how I have felt all week as we've rounded the corner into March. Last year around this time we took Brooke out for her first walk:
No walks for us in sight this year with the freezing weather outside! Speaking of walking, our school is doing a 10,000 steps per day challenge. It started on Feb. 22 and I was all gung-ho for it at first, but again this week I have not had the motivation to work out after Brooke goes to bed at night. Last night I went to bed at 8:30!

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. On the 22nd I am flying back east to attend my brother's wedding and also get to see my sister and her family (as well as lots of other family that lives in various parts of the country including my grandma who has never met Brooke). It's getting close and I am getting excited for all the fun things we have planned while we are there (NYC, Philly and oh yeah, the wedding. Just kidding, Ben & Katie!) And since I am looking forward to this, of course time has slowed way down.

Anyone know where I can get candy bars cheap? When I first started my job I promised my students that if I ever had a substitute and they behaved I would give each student a candy-bar. Now I am eating my words! I made this promise before I realized I would be gone for 8 days! Now I am going to end up owing my students 8 candy bars each if they behave themselves! Secretly I am hoping some of them (just a few) don't behave...is that bad? Goodbye teacher-supply money that will now be used for purchasing 400 candy bars!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Yea! I love Saturdays when I can see what you have posted new on your blog. I would go to the dollar store for cheap candy bars. You can get full size ones for 50 cents or even 4 for $1 if they are the wierd kind. And check Maverick for a sale too. They lots of times have sales of 3 or 4 for $1.

I have no motivation either. And JaDee is off to the Iditarod in about an hour so I think the kids and I will be doing a whole lot of nothing.

Hoenes Family said...

Did you tell them a full size candy bar??? That is a lot of candy bars! So fun you get to go back East! That will be so great. I think winter pulls the motivation out of everyone. This is why I live in Arizona :)

Ryanne said...

Maybe get them each one big-sized candy bar instead. Now that Reggie's sis is gone I am having my own lack of motivation too. I don't have any energy!

Carol said...

As time creeps by, your dad is SO excited to see you and Brooke!! So sorry I can't see you all as well . . . but know it will be less stressful without me there. I hope you have a fantastic time with family, and on all your explorations!! love you!

The Sugar Loaf said...

Oh have such a great trip. Grandma must be so excited to see you and her new great. Thanks for blogging. It is so nice to keep up with the activities of everyone. Ben's wife Katie looks a lot like you in this picture. what a great family you have. So happy for all of you. May you have a wonderful time together. Give Dad a big hello for us.