Monday, May 3, 2010

Fantasy Canyon

Since Brooke is getting a little older, we decided it would be fun this spring/summer to do a little exploring. It sure beats just sitting around the house on weekends, which is what we did all winter. We heard about this place called Fantasy Canyon and decided to go check it out.
Brooke is ready to go with her binky, blanky, and toy phone. 3 things we never leave the house without.

I'm sorry to say it wasn't all that fantastical. When I hear the word "canyon" I think of of tall mountains and steep cliffs glaring down at you from all sides. Where we went was pretty much just a desert with a few interesting rock formations.
The rocks are a petrified group of coral reef left over from an ancient sea. So seeing that was pretty cool. See that stick thing off to my right? That would be a snake. We saw it right after getting out of the car and the snake pretty much tainted the rest of the trip. I was super paranoid about Brooke getting bitten by a rattler.
Lucky for us, it was just a really big blow snake--but that still didn't ease my paranoia
In other news, Brooke went to nursery for the first time yesterday. It was very bitter-sweet. Brooke does pretty good in church except that she is very busy and wants to go up and say hi to all the people, go through their purses, and has a knack for persuading all the ladies to take off their jewelry and give to her to play with. She has quite the collection by the end of relief society. A while ago the nursery leader told me that it would be okay if Brooke came into nursery a little early since there are only 3 kids and not all of them come all the time. I was more reluctant, but Blake convinced me to just let her try it out. She did great! She went right in and started playing with the toys. There was another little girl who was older and she started playing with Brooke. When I went back to pick her up, the leader said Brooke really liked snack time (no surprise) and that it was like she had always been there. I knew Brooke would do great because she loves kids and to be social, it was me who had the hard time. We are hoping that being in nursery might help with talking. It seems like Brooke's vocabulary is shrinking instead of getting bigger, so we are kind of worried about that.

Also at church yesterday, Blake was teasing Brooke and giving her wet willies. A little while later, Brooke was sitting next to us on the floor playing with some toys and all of a sudden she gave herself a wet willie! Just out of the blue--she didn't even know we were watching her! Blake and I both saw it and we immediately started laughing. We were supposed to be listening to the speaker, but what can you do? Okay, one last story. Brooke also loves her pink blanky. It is our "cure-all" Sad, frustrated, sleepy? Just a wave of the blanky sends Brooke running with a grin on her face. At church Brooke was testing her boundaries and was getting pretty far away from us. Not wanting to make a scene, I tried pulling her binky and a some other toys out to see if it would coax her back. No luck. But as soon as I pulled out her blanky and started rubbing it against my face, Brooke came a runnin'!

11 comments:

Chavonne said...

It's so fun to hear about her little personality. Kids are funny with blankies. When they're attached, they're attached!

Hoenes Family said...

My Brooke is the EXACT same way with her blanket! That is so hilarious. I am so glad that Brooke did so well in nursery, I wish I could say the same - not going so good! EWWWW I hate snakes. That would have ruined the trip for me for sure! I saw some guy killing a rattlesnake off the side of the road the other day. YUCK! I love the wet willie story. That is hilarious!

Ryanne said...

It made me laugh out loud to read the blankie story! That's crazy how huge the snake was! Were you feeling lost at church without Brooke?

Sarah H. said...

Oh my gosh! I wouldn't be standing with my back to a snake...you are brave. I would already be back in the car waiting to leave. I guess Alaska has one good thing about it...no snakes!

Nicole said...

That is so funny about the wet willie! Ben always gave carter and Ethan wet Willies. It was the funniest thing! Don't worry about Brooke's speech. At the 24 month doctor appointment she only needs to know 24 words. She will do fine. Oh and nice dirt and rocks :)

Nicole said...

maybe the fantasy part of the canyon is where you imagine it is so cool

Kolbi Young said...

I would have been paranoid, too! Snakes, bugs, even dirt - haha....yes, I may be slightly overprotective. But they are still babies, right!?! I told Tyler that Ryker is considered a baby until he has a full set of teeth, can walk and talk.

On another note, I'm a little worried about nursery too. Even though I trust babysitters, he hasn't and probably won't be in a situation with a bunch of other kids around and me not right there. It is different than a babysitter one-on-one. I just worry that something will happen because the leader isn't paying close enough attention to him. And in our ward there are three nurseries each filled to the max. Once again, over protective :) Will these anxieties every subside?

Carolyn said...

That was a huge snake! And that is awesome about nursery (both the going early and the staying part). Ryan is nearly 3 and I still rip him from my shirt, crying and screaming and hurry and run out the door before he can chase me. Yikes. I hope he grows out of it before primary starts.

The Sugar Loaf said...

Glad Brooke loves her pink blanket. Everyone needs something to love and hug. Believe it or not, my hair and a mole on my arm was Blake's comfort at church. He would twirl my hair, move the mole back and forth, and cuddle which I loved.
She is getting so old looking. Give her a squeeze. I just laugh when you talk about Gerber. It is an expensive hoax when you can blend food and have twice the nutrition. However, Gerber and I were tight because it was fast and easy. I really don't think there is much nutritional value in it though. Brooke looks healthy so you are doing everything right. Good Mom. And Good Dad. Love you three like crazy!

The Sugar Loaf said...

This comment should be on the one above. I want to tell you how impressed I am that you are this close to that snake. Good grief, it sure camos in with the environment. Your pictures with Brooke are so fun. Those formations above you are really neat. I am so glad you and Blake go for outings. Hope this summer brings a lot more of them. Be safe. And enjoy!

Our ABC Family said...

Sounds like you guys have been keeping busy! I love hearing the stories about Brooke! sounds like she is loving nursery and I love the story of her with the wet willies! I've heard of Fantasy canyon as well but we haven't made it there yet. I'll be honest, the snake thing kinda turned me off. Not so much for Aaden, but for me! I'm completely terrified of snakes! Looks like you guys have had a lot of fun though! We need to try and get together again soon!