Today we survived church. Barely. For the past little while Blake has been on a schedule that did not allow him to come to church with Brooke and I. And I admit during that time I was a little lax with the things I let Brooke get away with. In my defense, it was all I could do to get us out the door on time and I always sat in the very back row, on the end, by the door. It made for an easy exit as well as gave Brooke some extra space to roam and play. Her roaming, however, is getting out of control. There are no limits to where she can roam because I didn't set any. When I was by myself it was just easier to let her make friends with the people sitting in front of us than to try and contain her and fight a battle that would result in she and I out in the foyer with her screaming.
But now it's come back to bite me. Big time. Brooke thinks the whole chapel is her playground and that she should be free to roam wherever she pleases. And I definitely don't want that. I've been foolishly telling myself that she is still a baby so it's okay. But now, she's getting old enough to learn that she can play in the space in between Blake and I on the bench or floor, or sit in a classroom with one of us holding her and not able to get down at all. We definitely spent more time doing the latter today. By the end of sacrament Blake and I just looked at each other with an exhausted "we made it" look on our faces. We've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and while some days are better than others (today not being one of those) sometimes I swear it would just be easier to give in and let her roam around. Then I have to remind myself that she has got to learn this, and if not now, then when? 3 years old may still be a ways away, but I feel like if we just let Brooke do as she pleases, she's going to be a primary president's worst nightmare. But knowing that doesn't make it any easier. After sacrament, Brooke ran (literally) down the hall to nursery where she was in heaven for the last 2 hours of church. Also, the only time Brooke is content to sit with us is when we are singing. Then she likes to sit on our laps so she can see the chorister and mimic like she is leading the music too.
Here are some totally unrelated pictures of Brooke with my great-aunt Ruth & her cats. Thanks sis for sending me these!
7 comments:
I'm so glad I checked your blog today! I didn't think I would be so lucky to get 2 posts in row but look! I did! do you remember Ethan? He was my roamer. In fact I chased him up the choir chairs once right after they let the doors to the chapel open after sacrament. Oh that was fun. But by age 4 none of my kids bring anything but something to draw with. So she won't learn and you will fight, but as she ages and sees your example, she'll settle in to church. And nursery helps a ton with getting them ready for primary so don't sweat it.
OH man, I can totally relate to you. It seemed like forever before I felt like church was worth going to! I always went, but we were out in the hall mostly. I did figure out that if I threw cheerios on the floor, It took her a while to pick them up and eat them. I know that is gross!
I totally feel your pain. Olivia has been like that since she could walk. I have been pretty persistent about keeping Olivia in a confined area to play during sacrament but she always tries to escape. But I am very thankful that she can go to nursery now.
So I may be punished for my views on church and children, but here it goes....We always try to go to sacrament meeting (even though that means waking Ryker up from his morning nap).....Then the rest of the meetings are optional depending on his mood and behavior. I'm in Primary now, so I can't help Tyler for the last two meetings. It is all up to him. He usually leaves after a while because it doesn't do either of them any good to wander the hallway. Maybe my opinions will change with more kids (especially once he is in nursery). But I really don't think anyone is benefiting from hanging out in the hallway, when the babe is tired, cranky, and just done. Yes, I may go to hell for this.....But I can honestly say we try our best :)
We are beginning to fight this battle too. At least now, I know there is light at the end of the tunnel and all the sitting in an empty classroom pays off! Good for you, keep it up! I have to tell myself this when I feel like I'm not getting anything out of RS. And Brooke looks so cute with the cats!
I am not so annoyed with the babies running around sacrament meeting...especially if they are cute like Brooke, but what really annoys me is when parents sit back and don't seem to even notice their child. Hello! No wonder why your kid is wandering around looking for attention he needs to get some from somewhere and clearly you're not giving him any! (Family in my old ward) I'm sure Brooke is not that bad!
These pictures of Brooke and Ruth's cat are darling. Her little face tells it all. What a joy she is.
Post a Comment