Wednesday, September 8, 2010

30 Days Hath September

I love September. It's like my 4th favorite month (my first being October, then Dec. then Feb... I know, could I get any weirder?) I just love how it feels natural to be back in school in September & the weather is starting to cool off a little, Halloween candy is starting to appear on the shelves. Not to mention that in a little over a week we'll be closing on our house. September is just a good month. I also found out today that our school is going to do a Biggest Loser competition. I'm excited for that. I'm hoping it will be just the right amount of motivation to keep me from eating ice-cream and watching seasons 2-4 of "The OC" after Brooke goes to bed.

I don't have any pictures, but here's what we've been up to lately:

Blake: He got the official "All Clear" from the doctor that he's completely recovered from his shoulder surgery. So how does he celebrate? By volunteering to act as the "disgruntled inmate" who has to be ripped from his cell by 5 officers while putting up a good fight. It was all for the sake of a training session, and I know Blake loved every minute of it.

Courtney: My sweet little angel students are starting to show their true colors. The girls seem especially bad this year. Lots of eye-rolling and "Like seriously, we have to like READ in this class?" Oh brother! I hope this isn't an all year battle.

Brooke: She has figured out how to get food out of the cupboards and runs around with a package of Oreos and saying "eat? eat?" I then take the cookies away and try to coax some string cheese or yogurt into her while she screams in protest. She can also say "oh shoot" which sometimes comes out sounding like something else entirely & it's all Blake and I can do not to laugh. And along with her blanky, has added a book about Curly the Pig to the list of things she MUST take to bed with her. Sometimes it doesn't end up in bed with her, but as soon as she sees in in the morning she has a death-grip on it. She's also added "I see you" "Come on" "What's that" and her sitter's name to the list of words she can say. I love her little voice. I also tried to get a picture of Brooke holding the craft she made today (well, technically I'm sure the sitter is the one who actually made it, but who's asking?), but like most toddlers, Brooke was on the go and would not hold still. I think that accounts for my lack of pictures with this post in general. Maybe next time.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I don't think you are going to win the Biggest Loser competition -- you have nothing to lose!

Blake sounds like a true guy. What does he do for work?

Yum, Oreos. Brooke sounds like a girl after my own heart.

Hoenes Family said...

I loved how you explained your students. They sound just like my Young Women!

Unknown said...

Gotta love those early teen years, right? Great post, I thought I was the only one in the world who preferred fall and winter months. I love the slight chill we're starting to get in the morning and evening. Brooke is too cute. I think the attitude makes her even cuter, I can totally picture her doing everything exactly like you described.

Nicole said...

Oh I read the last two posts to jaDee and we were laughing hysterically at Brookes antics. Especially the food in the fist. Bridger once had to eat one more bite of food in order to get a sippy of milk. Well Jana forgot about the milk and when she tried to give it to him an hour later he spit the soggy sandwich piece he had been saving in his mouth, out and into her hand in order to drink his milk.

I finished Mockingjay. Carter and I have had great discussions about how the very thing she was trying to save was what got destroyed in the end. And really, how much of the revolution was her, how much was she used by both sides and how much of this was really worth it. Like Peeta never really being the same again, her family and Gale all in different districts etc. We will have to talk. You should talk to Carter about it too.

Ryanne said...

I like your sister's comments on mockingjay, she thought of some things I hadn't yet. Reggie's family is doing a biggest loser challenge and its definitely motivating. Good luck! I think I fixed my video so let me know.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Loved this update, Courtney!! I love September, too. :-)

Kolbi Young said...

I got a little chuckle when you listed your favorite months....so funny! I'm a summer month girl - and quite frankly fall depresses me because it means that winter is soon to follow. Ugh! I really need to move to AZ!

Have you tried the Dannible Yogurt Smoothies for Brooke? I just pop a straw through the foil lid and Ryker gulps away. He LOVES these more than anything and would eat multiple a day if I let him. Just a new twist on Yogurt if you're still having a tough time getting healthy food in the little miss :)

Sarah H. said...

I just love reading about your little family and miss you tons!

Allreds said...

I am so excited for your new home! Congratulations! I hope i get to see it some day soon! I love readin your blog courtney. It keeps me up to date on your cute family!

The Sugar Loaf said...

Courtney, I love you as my own Daughter but there is one thing I disagree with that you like-September. September maybe even August meant 'going back to school'. I dreaded summer being over. In fact the day after school was out, I would be sad because that meant one day gone out of the summer. It is a good thing good teachers enjoy going back to the work, smart-elect kids, nosey teachers, bells, halls, lunch duty, recess duty, fire-drills, discipline, broken pencil leads, no books or assignments done, too few holidays and for sure not enough weekends, and looking at the yearbook at the end of the year and thinking....can I do this again. See you all next year at school! You are all pretty weird!