Monday, September 20, 2010

Where's My Easy Button?


Oh yeah, that's right. It doesn't exist.
And for the record, I think my mind has been around the middle school mentallity (or the inmate mentally from Blake...which is pretty much the same thing) and I almost changed this post title...hopefully your mind didn't immediately go to the gutter when you saw the title :)

Anywho...we've been homeowner's for approximately 72 hours and already it's crazy. Brooke was sick throwing up Thursday, we closed on the house Friday afternoon, we stayed up late Friday night taking down wall paper in one of the bedrooms (thankfully the only place with wallpaper...what a chore!) and then mid-painting Saturday Blake and I both stopped in mid-paint roll and got sick (thanks Brooke!) and spent the rest of the weekend trying to rest while Brooke ran around the house, wondering why we weren't in the mood to play. It was only a 24-hr bug so by Sunday night we were ready for another week. Here's some pictures of our work in progress
When we went to the house on Friday and opened the door it was awesome to see it empty. Finally it felt like it belonged to us. The previous owners left us this cute note and sparkling cider to celebrate.
I forgot to take a "before" picture but here is the fruit of our labors: the wallpaper is gone!

Saturday, before the sickness kicked in, we tackled the dining room. Goodbye red wall!!Next project on the list: the soccer room is going to undergo a pink transformation:
Brooke has been a really good sport about all of this. She's been watching movies in the living room:
And following Blake all over the house. She thinks the sound of his drill is funny & when she hears it she takes that as her calling card to run and find him.
She's been so good, in fact, that when the people down the street were having a yard sale, I couldn't resist buying this toy for Brooke. She loves it & it was fun for Blake and I to see her playing the backyard of our new home.
And speaking of Brooke. She is now the big 2-1 (months that is) old. It seems like she has turned into a little girl, full of personality, over night. She now sits at the table like a big girl

Here, she's getting a lick of jam off an empty plate
She can even get her own stool out and brush her teeth. Which is actually more of a curse than a blessing. Now she can use her stool to get into all sorts of mischief.

One night I tied her blankie around her shoulders like a cape and everytime it came undone Brooke would get upset until I retied it.
Well, it's 8:30, Brooke is in bed and after I do the dishes there is a bowl of icecream and an episode of the OC calling my name (Did you know that Jasper and Rosalie from Twilight both had roles on this show? Just thought you should know)

13 comments:

The Crace's said...

Congrats on the new home!

Sarah said...

So exciting to be in your new house! I can't wait to see the final product. Seriously, what nice people to leave you the sparkling cider. So thoughtful!

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed you already have the wallpaper off! That kind of a project would take me weeks. So glad you are in your new home!

Hoenes Family said...

Can't wait to see what you do with the soccer room! post more pics! That is so exciting you are in your new house. I am so jealous of your back yard! No, I didn't think anything dirty when you talked about the easy button!

Cali said...

You've done so much already, so fast! Congrats on your new home, I bet that is so much fun!

Kolbi Young said...

I've heard horror stories about wallpaper....glad you only had one room! We had the same flu bug at our house the week after Labor Day. Ryker started it and then it spread to Tyler, my sister, etc.....yucky! Glad you are all recovering.

Can't wait to see more room makeovers!

Ryanne said...

No, I didn't even think of anything dirty at all, till you mentioned it :) I can't believe the crazy weekend you had, working hard, all of you getting sick. It seems like everything always happens at once. I might have to watch the OC now!

Fun with the Fenton's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fun with the Fenton's said...

Funny you should mention the easy button. Last week my boss was putting together a display & it was kicking his butt. There was what looked like an easy Burton sitting on the the table & I asked him why it wasn't working!! Funny until I found it was a "try me" button for the display!! There goes my "insert foot into mouth" syndrome!! Anyhow, I am so excited for you. Good luck with the new house!!

Sarah H. said...

That was such a cute post! What a fun, and very real life moment...new house, painting, sickness, cute kid playing in the backyard!

Nicole said...

whoo hoo! No more wall paper! It was cute to see Brooke in her new backyard. I can't remember, is it fenced? I totally would paint over that soccer mural too. It doesn't look nearly as good as I pictured it in my head. Remember when Ethan wore nothing but capes? Maybe Brooke will need one for Christmas.

Carolyn said...

How exciting to have your own home! That was cute that the previous owners left you a note. Our previous owners left us holes in the front window and a cat door on one of the bedrooms.

Nicole said...

OK i also didn't think any Gutter Thoughts until you mentioned an alternative meaning to the Easy Button title until you suggested there should be one. Way to go leading me off the straight and narrow with bad thoughts:)