Thursday, September 8, 2011

Coming to an End

The mornings are chilly and the nights are getting darker earlier and definitely chillier too. I think fall is on its way. Which is fine by me! Most of my maternity clothes are winter-wear so I am having an awful time trying to figure out what to wear to work. What did I wear with Brooke? Who knows. All I know is that already I am sick of my clothes and feel like I wear the same things over and over again. Oh well--such is life.

School is busy, crazy and I have no patience. Sorry kids. By the end of the day I am exhausted and my feet are aching. Usually this time of year I am wearing flip-flops and other cute ballet-style shoes to work. This week I had to give in and start wearing my Danskos. Again, I know, life could be worse. I could be puking during class, which I'm not and so grateful for, so I shouldn't complain about shoes. Also am so, so grateful for my two student aides that have been assigned to me this year. They are really helping me with all the paperwork so I can actually get home on time and not have to bring work home with me.

Also have no patience with Brooke. Well, it seems I have patience and then all of a sudden I have no patience and I'm going to explode. Yesterday Brooke decided to "help" clean the floor by dumping her apple juice all over it. Then she had a poopy accident in her underwear and didn't tell me about. Then she was a terror at scouts. I called Blake told him he needed to come home before I lost it. Blake was really good and took Brooke for the night--even went grocery shopping for me. I don't know what I would do without him to help me. Moms who do this on their own all or most of the time amaze me.

We have been enjoying our harvest this year. We have corn and tomatoes coming on like crazy and it's bee fun to eat from our garden. The other night we had elk steaks (that Blake shot last year), corn on the cob, homemade salsa with fresh tomatoes, and mashed potatoes (given to us from my in-laws garden). It was cool to think everything we were eating we had grown ourselves. I feel like Brooke should start calling me "Ma" and Blake "Pappy" because we've become so pioneer-ish :)
Also Blake continues to dazzle me with how handy he is. We've had a perfect spot in our yard for a sandbox but never got around to building it. Blake was watching Brooke a couple of days last week and I came home one afternoon and found he's built it all in one day! Brooke loves it. Finally she has something fun to do in our backyard. Sadly, since it took us all summer to get it built there are no sandtoys to be found. But she's pretty content with random objects I've found around the house to use instead.
And finally, Brooke came up from watching 101 Dalmations the other day saying "I'm hungry mother, I'm hungry" It took me a while to figure out that it is a quote from the movie, and that she wasn't actually hungry.






8 comments:

Sarah H. said...

Your corn looks gorgeous! That was the one thing I wish I would have ate on my trip to UT. I totally understand the clothes, except I only had two long sleeved shirts and up here it is already fall so I was wearing my jacket all day. So I hit the labor day sales and bought a bunch of shirts, and I get to resurrect all my scarfs. Soon though it will be winter.

Kolbi Young said...

Sand toys are over-rated....all they need is a spoon and a bucket - ha! The sandbox looks awesome....I would love one of thes, but there isn't the "right spot" in our yard for one. Good thing the park down the street has plenty of sand for play.

I got most of my maternity clothes at Kohls, which always has good sales. Reasonable prices, decent selection. It will be a long winter rotating the same three shirts :) Go shopping!

BTW, how is Brooke's arm? I'm assuming it is okay, since she isn't wearing another cast....

Hoenes Family said...

I hear ya with the no patience thing. I feel the same way. Glad I am not the only one! That is great you have two student aides assigned to you! I too am sick of the same clothes. Actually I am sick of my old clothes that I haven't even worn in 5 months! I look at them and think, oh great, this is what I have to go back to? ;) So jealous of your garden. SO JEALOUS.

Carolyn said...

It sounds like you have a ton going on! Sorry about Brooke's arm. No fun! None of my kids have broken anything yet (knock on wood). And when I am pregnant, I have zero patience. My hormones don't allow it. So don't be too hard on yourself!

Ryanne said...

I don't know how you do it, working all day and being pregnant! I am really impressed with all your gardening produce and awesome backyard. I am also suffering from a shortness of patience, that just hits me like it does you. We have been having Very early bedtimes around here!

Adrienne said...

I have a short fuse right now too and I'm not pregnant. Hang in there you'll get through.

The Sugar Loaf said...

Oh how we love that little arm-wigglin' girl. It is so fun to have you close. Today was great to come home and see you there in the kitchen and Dad out talking to Blake. We enjoy you so much. Good luck tomorrow at the doctor's office. Glad Brooke is going to cheer you on. She will love it.

The Sugar Loaf said...

Blake, the sandbox turned out great. She loves playing in the sand doesn't she. Your house is really nice. Thanks for buying here in Vernal and so close to your Old Mom and Dad. Hope we are not pests, though. Congratulations on your garden. The corn looks delicious.
Courtney put up a delicious batch of salsa last night. It was really good. She is the chef! We have eaten delicious meals at your house. And Blake is super at the barbeque. Love you all.