Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Update Part Two

Who knew after less than a week since my last post, that I'd need another update already? But a lot has happened, so here we go:

Blake: after much prayer, faith, and fasting Blake is feeling like his shoulder is getting better and might not need another surgery after all. Also, his bike is now for sale.

Brooke: Most of you have seen/commented on this picture that I posted on Facebook of Brooke's first big injury. Sorry to not explain what happened, but it is kind of a long story.

Friday I went to pick up Brooke from H.'s house at the regular time. H. tells me that Brooke has been complaining about her arm hurting since earlier that afternoon, but since H. couldn't see anything wrong with it, she thought Brooke was just doing for sympathy. Okay, I have loved everything about H. and have never questioned her until she said that. It really bothered me because 1) Brooke does not complain about something being hurt for sympathy. She's a tough girl and although she loves to talk about and show off her "owies" she does not actually complain unless something is really bothering her. 2) It bugged me that I didn't at least get a phone call at work. I probably would have told H. to go ahead and give a pain reliever to see if that helped. So what if it ended up being nothing? A dose of Tylenol never hurt anyone. Instead, poor Brooke was in pain all afternoon! Anyway, I get Brooke home and do all my tricks for her fake owies. I put lotion and bandaides on them. I gave her a dose of Tylenol and put on a movie. Still she was saying her arm hurt. When Blake got home we took her into the Urgent Care Clinic and the doctor confirmed that something was definitely the matter with Brooke's arm. We did xrays, which were really sad because they have to position Brooke's arm for them and it really hurt her. Plus, I couldn't be in the room because I'm pregnant, and got to listen to her cries and Blake and a nurse held her down. The xrays didn't show a break, but the Dr. told us that with little kids it can take longer for fractures to show up on xrays. So, he wrapped her arm in a splint as if it were broken. Okay, when I think of "splint" I think of a piece of wood and torn sheet as a sling. But apparently things have changed a lot since the 1800s and now they use this foamy material that they get wet, wrap the arm and as it dries it hardens like a cast. Then they wrap that in an ace bandage. We were sent home with instructions to keep it on for a week and then take it off. If she still acting like her arm is bothering her we will re-xray it and by this time the fracture should show up and they'll put a hard cast on. So now, it's just wait and see. OH, and I did call H. and told her what happened and she felt really bad. Good.


But for now, Brooke is loving taking baths in the sink! She also sleeps with one of Blake's socks on her arm so she doesn't get tempted to unwrap her bandage. On Saturday I met two of my favorite friends in Park City for some shopping. Sarah, Sandy, and I have known each other for a long time. We were bridesmaids at each other's weddings, we have seen each other through some really hard times and some fun times like missions and babies. Now, we are all pregnant at the same time and due within a few months of each other: December, February, and March. Sarah lives in Alaska now and so when she was down for a quick weekend trip we couldn't pass up the opportunity for all of us to get together. Brooke and Monroe
I don't make it to Park City very often, but when I do, I make it count! I LOVE the Carter's outlet and was able to pick up some awesome fall outfits for Brooke.



I am in love with the dress I got for B. If it came in my size I would have bought one for me too!
I was also able to pick up some shirts for later this year :)Usually I wouldn't post pics of what I bought, but I wanted to compare how much I bought for Brooke and how much I bought for myself (which was hardly anything: a new tank, work pants, two shirts and a big sister book for Brooke) and I spent almost the exact same amount on each of us! Crazy! I wish adult clothes were priced like kids. But now, at least, my shopping bug is out!


PS: Just got a call from the xray people to give me the official status of Brooke's arm--they said a lot of mumbo jumbo that I didn't understand but the jist is that it looks like there is a possible break in her wrist so we are definitely going back in at the end of the week for more xrays. :(

11 comments:

Kolbi Young said...

Sorry to hear about all the recent owies!!! I don't think there is anything more stressful than when your child is hurt and you don't know what to do to make it better. And to be honest, I don't think at this age, they've figured out how to play the sympathy card. They are too busy and easily distracted to keep it going all day. And in any situation, I would at least like to stay informed and left to make the decision on what to do next, rather than finding out about it after the fact.

Finally, I love Carter's. I buy most of R's clothes there because they are reasonably priced and seem to wear really well. But every time I'm there, I always envy the girls section :) So cute!

Ryanne said...

Is Blake giving up mountain biking? Poor guy, he has the worst luck with his sports, huh?!

I love how long and curly Brooke's hair looks in the pictures.

I would be very mad at the daycare mom and would want to give her a big chewing out. She handled the entire situation wrong! (Sorry, this probably doesn't help your feelings on it). If Brooke hurt her wrist bad enough to break it, that is something she should have noticed or been there. And not to call you and just brush off Brooke's complaints. Makes me angry!

Unknown said...

I agree. I would have been miffed, too. She should know Brooke well enough by now to know when to take her a little more seriously. No one is perfect, but still. . . I'm glad she felt bad! So your picture was taken in Park City. Call me a dork but I was going, "hey, if that is somewhere in the Basin I want to go there!" I'm such a sucker for anything green and beautiful. You know how it is when you grow up back East :) And I'll jump on the bandwagon and say I love Carter's, too! Now you've made me want to take a trip to Park City.

Alicia Estepp said...

Sorry about all the injuries lately! They always seem to happen all at once!
We recently went to Park City shopping and I did the same thing at the Carters store! That place is dangerous for me! I love the dress you got Brooke and I may have to go back for it! :) Too cute! I also wish adult clothes were as cheap or at leat as good of sales.

Hoenes Family said...

Oh how sad! Poor Brooke! I wonder what happened? I would been bugged with H too. Love the clothes you bought!

emily ballard said...

Love the mustard colored shirt with the birds. . . might need to go visit Carter's. . .

Nicole said...

I have to say I am in agreement with everyone else who thinks day care should have handled this better. But the question that comes to my mind was maybe this happened at day care and either Brooke was not being watched well enough for this to happen or was she abused? I know you love your sitter, but I think some serious questions need asked. On the other hand, I know a lot of things that happen to kids when you are right there in the same room as them and wouldn't matter if it was mom/dad/sitter/grandma watching them...accidents happen.

Kind of bummed Blake is selling his bike. can't he just not be so extreme with it and still go biking? And I wish I had kids that still fit in Carter's. Sadly my Carter has gotten so tall lately that I bought my last size 16 jeans at gap kids for him last week. We will now be in the world of waist/inseam measurements for him... and Ethan doesn't fit Gymboree anymore...Not that he has liked the baby-ish clothes for his size lately anyway...

good luck with the broken arm. see if you can get a waterproof cast. My nephew got one and he even got to go the water park this summer with it!

Sarah H. said...

It was so fun to see you guys, I wish we lived closer so we could get together more often.

Our ABC Family said...

Poor Brooke! :( I hope everything turns out okay! Looks like you had a fun time shopping as well and got some cute stuff! :)

Jessica GaleForce said...

Looks like you guys had a great time whilst Sarah was down!! Park City is my favorite, whenever we go we always hit the ALPINE SLIDES!!!

Sarah said...

Poor Brooke! What did the new x-rays show? Yay for being potty-trained! One set of diapers is enough.