Monday, August 8, 2011

Soakin' Up Summer

It's hard to believe that summer is almost over (well, my summer anyway). This is my last week of freedom before meetings start. Schools starts for us on August 24. Actually, I am not dreading it. We have some exciting things to look forward to this year and I'm ready to get on with it!

But just because I'm not dreading the start of another school year doesn't mean that we haven't been playing hard and trying to soak up as much summer as possible. I thought I'd start this post with someone we don't see too often on the ol' blog: Blake.
Brooke and I are a little less extreme. Hanging out on the beach with cousins is more our style. DD's kids came to play for a long weekend. Funny how this whole time I have seriously underestimated how fun just hanging out on the beach can be! Brooke loved digging and splashing. I need to do this more often.
The last week in July is the fair. This was the first year I decided to take Brooke to a few activities for kids. One of them was The Little Red Barn. It was the cutest thing ever! Brooke got to pretend to be a farmer: picking produce, planting seeds, collecting corn kernals to feed to the animals (pretend), collecting eggs, and practicing milking a cow (also pretend, but the utters really did squirt milk!) Then she took what she collected to the "farmer's market" where she got a coupon for a treat from the store. Out of all the treats (including chocolate milk, which I was sure would be the winner) what Brooke wanted most was an apple. We also got to see real animals. Brooke was convinced the chickens really wanted a bite of her plastic carrot.

Another attraction that I did not fully take advantage of this summer was the splash park. Brooke was a little timid at first but as soon as she got a cup that she could fill up and dump out she was in heaven. We've been twice and I think next summer it might become part of our weekly routine.
And although Brooke isn't quite up to water skiing yet, she was brave enough to ride the tube!
I love Brooke's arms stretched out to hold onto the handles.And finally, yesterday was a daddy-daughter day. Brooke did chores with Blake in the morning like wash their bikes. Then they went on a four-wheeler ride while I was able to go grocery shopping and do things around the house alone! Then in the afternoon I went to (finally) see the new Harry Potter movie while Blake took Brooke swimming. It was heavenly for everyone, I think.
I'm not sure how we're going to top these past few weeks, but this being our last week of summer, we're sure going to try!

9 comments:

Courtney said...

I wrote this post on Saturday, so "yesterday" was actually Friday. We didn't do all those activities on Sunday!

Sarah H. said...

You guys have such fun, it makes me want to become a teacher so I don't have to work during the summer.

Anonymous said...

I heard all about the little red barn! Thx for playing with my kids. Blake and Zac are crazy if they think I'll be doing that anytime soon! Crazy boys!

Hoenes Family said...

That is good you are not dreading starting another school year. Hope it is a good one for you. Glad you are through the worst of your pregnancy before you start school! Fun stuff you are doing! Love summer.

The Crace's said...

I'm looking forward to school starting as well, but maybe for a different reason :)

Ryanne said...

We've been trying to make the most of the last weeks of summer too. You are doing such fun things! The pictures of Blake mountain biking do look extreme!

Nicole said...

I missed the last blog post too! I love my manipulative little sister is just so patient to spring the painting projects on her husband. YOu lie in wait like a momma lion ready to pounce on a gazelle. Poor Blake doesn't know he is the gazelle.

And I loved the stretched out arms too! she is so brave! and did you go alone to HP? We saw it for Carter's birthday when we got back. It was awesome.

Kolbi Young said...

The things you enjoy doing on your "day off"....like grocery shopping alone - haha! So true! Glad you've been able to do some new and fun activities. Ryker was so unsure in the sand at the beach...he much preferred to sit on a towel or ride in the boat. Sand on his feet was too unbearable :)

Unknown said...

Glad you are getting the most out of your last few weeks! Keeping everyone happy is tough, but it looks like you are doing a great job! So glad we decided to come to the Splash Park and glad you thought of going back tomorrow :)