Since we are on the topic of food, I thought I would also share some of my cooking successes lately. If you know me, you know that I am no chef. In fact my sister will happily tell you about the time I called her to ask how to melt cheese on a tortilla. Making something completely from scratch or involved ingredients that I wasn't familiar with automatically went into the "too hard" category in my mind. So maybe it's my new affinity for mustard that is making me more adventurous in the kitchen, but I have been stretching my culinary skills with some pretty tastey results. I love the "our best bites" website and that is where I get most of my ideas. Recently I've made Mississippi Mud Brownies. Serioulsy, the BEST brownies ever! I've made them twice and the second time I skipped the marshmellows and just did the frosting on top and they were still just as yummy! I will never go back to box brownies. The other night I made coconut breaded chicken tenders with mango salsa on the side for dinner. Both were great, I got to stand in the produce aisle and try to guess what the heck a mango looked like. And although the salsa was good, I still am looking for the perfect mango salsa recipe. I am in love with the salsa from Rumbi Grill and will not be happy until I can make something that mirrors that. And finally I have made the spinach tortillini bake. This one really tested my cooking skills as I stood in front of the frying pan thinking "ummm... is this sauce going to thicken up?" It did eventually but not before I had a panic attack.
I guess it probably goes without saying that I have already gained 15 pounds. I am sure that has nothing to do with the large cheese pizza I got last night and ate almost the entire thing by myself. But today, I swear, I've turned over a new leaf. I am resolved to go buy a bag of baby carrots and snack on those instead. In reality I'm sure I'll do that twice before I never look at them again and they get moldy in the fridge. But at least I'm trying, right?
Now if someone can only tell me how I can stop crying when Mulan climbs to the top of the pole to retrieve the arrow while "I'll Make A Man Out of You" plays in the background I will be a happy camper.
And on another baby-related note: Brooke is so funny when we talk about the baby. She remembers going to the doctor with me to listen to the hearbeat and always wants to pull up my shirt to pat my tummy and tell me how cute it is. When I ask her where the baby is she says "it's hiding".
7 comments:
I always enjoy hearing these funny pregnancy stories. It will be interesting to see if you crave mustard after the baby arrives! :-)
LOL...I love the cravings. However, I REALLY wish you didn't bring up Rumbi grill, about a month ago I had a horrible craving for their rice bowl...it took me forever to really get it out of my head, in fact I would wake up at night thinking about it...now it's back. Luckily, in just a few weeks I'll be in UT and I'll be able to attack some of my cravings which now include, breakfast burrito at Beto's, rice bowl at Rumbi's, and Cheeseburger from Barry's with white and fry sauce. Dangit, I did it again...I won't find anything for dinner that will match any of those.
You are so funny. I can totally relate to you. My first two pregnancy's sounded a lot like yours. Pizza over baby carrots etc.. Which is the only difference about this pregnancy. I have wanted cheese, meat, veggies and dip, granola and yogurt. Protein! I want Protein! So weird how each pregnancy is so different! Love your mustard craving. Something that reminded me of that is for the first time ever this pregnancy I purchased steak! I do not like steak. But I do now. Or the baby does I guess! So funny!
Just buy fresh made salsa and add the Mango, that's what I do!
funniest post EVER!!!oh my gosh, you are so funny. But I read the Mississippi Mud Brownies as Mississippi MUSTARD Brownies in my head, when I first came across the title. Oh and the best mango salsa recipe is the stuff at Costco. You can buy that. Oh you are so funny. I loved picturing you in the produce section trying to figure out a mango. I am still trying to figure out what a Leek is... mustard...who knew!
Loved this......babies do crazy things to your body! Although I still craved Diet Coke and chocolate while I was pregant....wish it would have been healthier like mangos and mustard - ha! I'll be trying these recipes, they sound awesome!
Hillarious! Mulan is pretty touching though :). I always wanted to eat dirt. I didn't do it, but I REALLY wanted to.
Post a Comment