(the above picture has nothing to do with my post. It was actually supposed to go in my last post, but somehow got missed. Isn't it so cute?) I guess I was due for a round of "I'll teach you a lesson" after I bragged about all my cooking successes in my last post.
Monday was a great day. My students were well behaved and didn't give me any grief. I was able to find a used sit and stand stroller in excellent condition and got it for a great price. I got home and felt like cooking. Plus, it was going to be the first day in a week that Blake was going to be home for dinner. I wanted dinner to be good. Since I hadn't actually planned anything to make that night I got looking around my kitchen and noticed a pile of sweet potatoes sitting on my counter from 2 weeks ago. I thought about making the traditional mashed sweet potato dish with the marshmallows on top, but Blake isn't a huge fan of that so I decided to make sweet potato fries. After finding a yummy recipe from my favorite cooking website I got to work. Peeled the potatoes and started chopping them into french fry shapes.
Where I promptly almost cut my finger off with a knife. I should have called it quits right there.
Brooke's reaction was so cute. She was very concerned and went off immediately to find me a band-aid. She never did find one, but did find her Easter basket, so she was happy. She also found an almost empty jar of cream-cheese frosting in the garbage. She was insistent that I let her have it and since I was preoccupied with my finger and the fries, I was not really at the point of caring: my "patience o'meter" was slowly climbing.
Fix the finger and onto the coating of the fries. I obviously didn't read the recipe very well because when I looked closer I only had like 3 of the ingredients needed to coat the fries before baking them. I quickly got Brooke in the car and we sped over to my in-laws house to raid their cupboard (oh, and I had left the oven on pre-heat and was praying the house wasn't going to burn down in my absence.) I found most of the ingredients at the in-laws (Brooke of course pitched a fit because we weren't staying there) and went home.
Upon further inspection of the recipe, I realized I mistaken "cumin" for "curry" and grabbed the wrong ingredient. At this point I want to throw the dang fries out into the yard for the birds to eat. I decide to make the coating for the fries with the 3 ingredients I had in the first place and just see what happens. At this point I finally pay attention to my child who is sitting quietly at the kitchen table with her can of frosting and several play plates from her kitchen downstairs. She is happily spooning what is left of the frosting onto these plates and then putting them in her Easter basket. She informs me that she is also "cooking" Do I really care at this point? Oh and did I mention it is also close to 7 pm by this point, no one has eaten dinner, and I still have the chicken to cook because the fries were only supposed to have taken 15 minutes. And Blake still isn't home either. AND Brooke has taken her "frosting cooking" activity to another level. She has emptied the entire drawer full of silverware and put all the pieces in her Easter basket WITH the plates of frosting so now everything is dirty and must be washed.
The timer beeps and what do those dang fries have the audacity to do? They burn!!! Beyond frustrated, I put the chicken in and decided that these fries don't deserve an easy death of being thrown in the trashcan. I am still going to eat them. On to making the honey-lemon dip (at least that will be good). I open my fridge to find out the yogurt (which is the main ingredient for the dip) while although is white in color, is actually flavored vanilla and not plain. Again, I decide to just go for it and make the dip with the vanilla yogurt. Surprisingly, the fries and the dip weren't that bad. Not great (like if I had actually followed the recipe) but not terrible either.
Oh and Blake never showed up for dinner. And Brooke never ate any of it--she was probably too full from all her frosting she ate. Go figure. I wallowed in my grief that night by eating a bowl Lucky Charms.
Monday was a great day. My students were well behaved and didn't give me any grief. I was able to find a used sit and stand stroller in excellent condition and got it for a great price. I got home and felt like cooking. Plus, it was going to be the first day in a week that Blake was going to be home for dinner. I wanted dinner to be good. Since I hadn't actually planned anything to make that night I got looking around my kitchen and noticed a pile of sweet potatoes sitting on my counter from 2 weeks ago. I thought about making the traditional mashed sweet potato dish with the marshmallows on top, but Blake isn't a huge fan of that so I decided to make sweet potato fries. After finding a yummy recipe from my favorite cooking website I got to work. Peeled the potatoes and started chopping them into french fry shapes.
Where I promptly almost cut my finger off with a knife. I should have called it quits right there.
Brooke's reaction was so cute. She was very concerned and went off immediately to find me a band-aid. She never did find one, but did find her Easter basket, so she was happy. She also found an almost empty jar of cream-cheese frosting in the garbage. She was insistent that I let her have it and since I was preoccupied with my finger and the fries, I was not really at the point of caring: my "patience o'meter" was slowly climbing.
Fix the finger and onto the coating of the fries. I obviously didn't read the recipe very well because when I looked closer I only had like 3 of the ingredients needed to coat the fries before baking them. I quickly got Brooke in the car and we sped over to my in-laws house to raid their cupboard (oh, and I had left the oven on pre-heat and was praying the house wasn't going to burn down in my absence.) I found most of the ingredients at the in-laws (Brooke of course pitched a fit because we weren't staying there) and went home.
Upon further inspection of the recipe, I realized I mistaken "cumin" for "curry" and grabbed the wrong ingredient. At this point I want to throw the dang fries out into the yard for the birds to eat. I decide to make the coating for the fries with the 3 ingredients I had in the first place and just see what happens. At this point I finally pay attention to my child who is sitting quietly at the kitchen table with her can of frosting and several play plates from her kitchen downstairs. She is happily spooning what is left of the frosting onto these plates and then putting them in her Easter basket. She informs me that she is also "cooking" Do I really care at this point? Oh and did I mention it is also close to 7 pm by this point, no one has eaten dinner, and I still have the chicken to cook because the fries were only supposed to have taken 15 minutes. And Blake still isn't home either. AND Brooke has taken her "frosting cooking" activity to another level. She has emptied the entire drawer full of silverware and put all the pieces in her Easter basket WITH the plates of frosting so now everything is dirty and must be washed.
The timer beeps and what do those dang fries have the audacity to do? They burn!!! Beyond frustrated, I put the chicken in and decided that these fries don't deserve an easy death of being thrown in the trashcan. I am still going to eat them. On to making the honey-lemon dip (at least that will be good). I open my fridge to find out the yogurt (which is the main ingredient for the dip) while although is white in color, is actually flavored vanilla and not plain. Again, I decide to just go for it and make the dip with the vanilla yogurt. Surprisingly, the fries and the dip weren't that bad. Not great (like if I had actually followed the recipe) but not terrible either.
Oh and Blake never showed up for dinner. And Brooke never ate any of it--she was probably too full from all her frosting she ate. Go figure. I wallowed in my grief that night by eating a bowl Lucky Charms.
6 comments:
Oh man! I can totally relate to this cooking episode of yours! I was frustrated for you just reading about it! I must admit that it also made me laugh! What a bummer of a night! Good you recorded it for posterity's sake!
Grrrrr! Those days are the worst! Luckily nothing to bad and you can always laugh about it later :)
I hate those days! But I am so loving sweet potato fries right now! I do not peel mine, just throw on some cinnamon and bake:) Also use vanilla yogurt with maple syrup in it. I cant get enough of these and luckily nobody else in my house will eat them so I get them all to myself:)
Sad. . . but actually, quite funny to read about it :)
Why do we have to eat? Just think of all the wasted time preparing and cleaning up. HOwever, the sweet potato french fries sound delicious.
You need to share with everyone your super-duper ice cream recipe. I gained ten pounds this week thank you very much.
And your salsa is do die for. Thanks for sharing.
I can totally relate. How long do you think it will be before you buy another sweet potato?
Congratulations on your little boy! You look great! When do we get to hear names?
Post a Comment