This is our only Thanksgiving picture: taking a rest and cuddling after Brooke woke up from her nap.
I do need to express how Thankful I am for my family: mine and Blake's. They are a huge support system for us and we are so grateful we have them in our lives. I am also especially grateful for Blake and Brooke and our new baby. Blake works so hard for our family and is my best friend. I don't know what I would do without him. And I don't know what I would do without Brooke. She is always doing something that makes me laugh, like when I told her to go put her shoes on the rug and found them like this:After my family left Thursday evening, Blake and I crashed on the couch with a huge fire going and watched A Christmas Story.
Friday I decided to brave black Friday shopping at the stores for the first time ever. I was expecting the worst, and was pleasently surprised when I walked right into Wal-Mart at 5am and the store was practically empty! I got everything I wanted, didn't have to wait in line at the register and was able to to hit 2 more stores (with the same scenario) and be home by 6:30. I think a lot of people must've stayed up later to hit the 10pm sales or something.
Later that morning, we bought our Christmas tree permit and headed up on the mountain. Blake had the weekend off so we needed to take advantage of him being home. The next two weekends are busy with work and other activities, so we had to get our tree a little early this year.
Brooke was a little freaked out by the snow. The two previous years we have left Brooke in the truck while we got the tree. This year, she was old enough to come out with us and she didn't know what quite to think of walking in the snow--it's hard for a little person!


And she went on a ride on the "polar express" train

Brooke was a little freaked out by the snow. The two previous years we have left Brooke in the truck while we got the tree. This year, she was old enough to come out with us and she didn't know what quite to think of walking in the snow--it's hard for a little person!
She was in heaven eating all the snow, though!

We found our perfect tree. Do like how my coat won't zip up anymore? Also it's funny how the tree looks perfect on the mountain and when you get it home it's HUGE in your house. Oh well. We are enjoying it.

Our community does a really fun kick off to the holiday season the day after Thanksgiving. It goes all day and all night and everything is free. This has become one of our favorite traditions. We were only able to go to a few events (it was getting close to Brooke's nap and she was fiesty) We watched the ice-sculpter:

Brooke went on a pony ride and LOVED it (we skipped standing in line for the camel rides this year)



And she went on a ride on the "polar express" train

There are also things like free swimming at the rec center, free Christmas movie matinees and the theater, free stands giving away hot chocolate, marshmellow roasting, a parade of lights in the evening and fireworks, and so much more. As Brooke gets older, we are slowly doing more and more of these activities.
Last night, Blake and I were both tired and laying on the couches in the living room looking at the Christmas tree lights. Brooke was laying with us and it was just fun to be together as a family--that is what the holidays are about. Brooke got up and said to us "Do you want to see my tummy?" We said yes and she pulled up her shirt to show us. Then she said, "There is a baby in my tummy! Don't push my tummy, it hurts the baby" (hmmm. wonder where she's heard that before?) I just laugh and think it's cute but it completely freaks Blake out. He always says to Brooke, "nope, you will never, ever have a baby in your tummy. Only mommy!"
9 comments:
I want to move to your city! What a fun thing they do the day after Thanksgiving. Also, I want to see a pic of your Christmas tree inside! Hearing you say you went to Walmart and didn't have to battle the crowds and got everything you wanted, makes me wish I would have gone! As for you measuring two weeks ahead, I am sure your doctor has told you, that that is normal because it is your second child. I certainly hope you get your wish and go early ;) I plan on my baby cooking the whole time, because with both Kenzi and Brooke I had super high hopes of going early and didn't! Great job on hosting Thanksgiving! I was exhausted and I didn't host! As for my kids eating healthy..... every child is different. Brooke is not as good of an eater as Kenzi is, but it getting there. It takes time for them to eat everything they are given. Kenzi used to throw up every day when she would eat. She gagged on everything! I just keep offering the food and make them take as many bites as they are in age of whatever it is we are having. If they finish everything they are given, they get a treat. I am all about bribing my children with candy if it means they are getting a well balanced meal ;) So I guess I would say, keep offering the food and give them a number of how many bites they need to take. Sometimes I will tell Kenzi that she only has to take 5 big bites and she ends up finishing what she was given ;) Rather then me telling her she has to eat it all! Sorry this is so long!
Brooke is so funny. I kind of get freaked out like Blake. I don't know why but when Jocelyn says that it totally grosses me out and stuff. Your Thanksgiving weekend sounds absolutely perfect. Way to go cooking the entire dinner! My feet were killing me afterwards. I'm glad your family got to come out for it. I also love all that your town does for Thanksgiving, its amazing!
Good work on the Thanksgiving dinner. It is so much work for such a short moment of enjoyment. I was so tired on Thanksgiving, I can't believe that you woke up so early to go shopping! I am glad you got all your shopping done though. I still have so much to do, and my time is quickly running out. It seems like you always have great community activities in Vernal...that is awesome.
Good call on the camels!! I love how Blake always is teaching her morals..one way or another!
what a fun thanksgiving. missed you guys. And I want that stuffing recipe:)
You should quit teaching and be the Activities Advertiser for Vernal. You do make our city look like so much fun. What great traditions they are doing and I didn't even know about them. Brooke sure had fun and the weather looks good.
I must get over to see your tree. This is a tradition you and Blake have done since you were married isn't it? And every year, your tree looks so pretty. I remember your tree when Brooke was born. It was beautiful that year as I sat on the couch holding that cute new little bundle of true joy and watching the lights.
So glad you are having another little one. How much fun he will be. Hope you are ready for a real adventure. Brooke and this little Guy will give you and Blake a run for your money for sure.
Congrats on cooking your first Thanksgiving! I have yet to host a major holiday, and I'm kind of avoiding it. Too much work and not enough relaxing! But I am sure I will have my turn once we live someplace a little bigger and can actually fit our family.
What an awesome festival and fun tradition!
I love this time of year! How fun to go get your own tree. Ours is very fake, which is nice because I like to put it up well before Thanksgiving (I know, I'm a little weird about Christmas). Way to go on cooking the dinner! That is a huge project, let a lone when you are prego!
Post a Comment