Sunday, October 28, 2012

When Good Intentions Go Awry

Last Monday for Family Home Evening I got this great idea that I was going to make caramel apples and take them around to our neighbors. Nice, right? I was even more proud of my great idea because I thought Brooke and I could work on this together since we have been talking about the letter A, and this went right along with it. Furthermore, I found a supposedly "perfect" homemade caramel recipe on pinterest and was excited to try it out. Little did I know how the day would end.

The caramel recipe was not what it seemed. The description said "smooth and creamy" it was more like sticky and hard as a rock. It dried like a hard candy shell that broke like glass. I tried adding some half and half to thin it out and wanted to test the flavor. So what do I do to a BOILING pot of caramel? I stick my finger in it, thinking I will just lick it off. The caramel MELTED to my finger and burned the crap out of it. It hurt SOOOOO bad. But while I am trying to nurse my burned figer, which feels like it is on fire, I still have a pot of caramel on the stove that I am trying not to burn. I finally get the caramel on the apples and in the fridge and can nurse my poor finger for a few minutes.

When I got the apples out and try to peel them off the sheet of wax paper, the wax paper is stuck to the bottom of the apples. Great. Now I get to use a pair of scissors to cut the wax paper and a knife to chop off the bottom layer of caramel. While cleaning the caramel covered scissors, I proceed to SLICE open my thumb on the other hand. Also, using hot water is excruciating on my burned figer.

I won't even go into details how the chocolate wouldn't melt, then came out in blobs while I was trying to dip and decorate the apples. I got chocolate all over one my favorite white shirts. grrr...

Then, while delivering them, Porter was screaming in the car, it was pouring rain, Blake was in a bad mood, and I gave an apple to one of my good friends whose son is allergic to nuts. Oops.

Our Family Home Evening lesson to Brooke was this: We serve others because we love them. Serving makes them happy and us feel happy too. And now that the GIANT burn blister on my finger is healing and the slice on my thumb is healing, I can enjoy that happiness :)

1 comment:

Hoenes Family said...

Oh man! I literally flinched when you mentioned slicing open your finger! OUCH!!!! Burns and cuts! I hope you never make those apples again! I suppose you can blame this all on Pinterest where you got the idea in the first place :)