Okay, this post has many different aspects to it. One, Brooke is on a major naughty streak right now and I don't know what to do about it. 1) She cut her barbie's hair 2) she's drawn on her closet wall and on her slide
| okay, so this is cute and we'll probably keep this but STILL, drawing on things is naughty! |
3) she went outside and broke the branches off our little apple fruit tree (We flipped out over this because now our beloved fruit tree is probably ruined)
4) she's been on a kick about having a major fit when we tell her no
What are we to do? After the fruit tree incident, Blake made her work outside with him for two days picking up leaves. I am also thinking of putting some kind of prize up on the fridge for her to earn if she behaves and doesn't have any timeouts that day. I also know that we need to give more positive praise and have more positive interactions with her, and we do try to do that. We make an effort to play candyland or watch special movies with popcorn with her after Porter goes to bed. Anything we're missing here?
I know there is a nice girl in there somewhere. She occasionally comes out. Like in these pictures taken on St. Patrick's Day.
And speaking of holidays, have you read this article? So many things I agree with in her writing about holidays. Espeically how they are getting seriously crazy with the amount of work/time/money people are starting to put into them. It makes me wonder if we are doing it for the kids or to impress/compete with the other parents in the keeping up with Jones's/facebook/blogging/pinterest world we now live in.
This article and those thoughts were for me. So please don't be offended if you love to go crazy during the holidays. No judgement from me. I just remember last year on St. Patrick's day looking on FB at all these photos of leprechaun footprints and furniture upside down and feeling like the world's worst mom because all I did was dress my kids in green. I didn't even have enough creativity to dye the milk green! Then I see how other holidays have become like mini Christmases (or just like Christmas) and I feel all this pressure to perform so my kid doesn't feel jipped. I am now realizing that I just need to do my best and not give in to that pressure, especially when it goes against what I want my children to know/learn about that holiday. There may be certain traditions i start with my kids, and i need to figure out my limits. Okay, I am done with my rant.
And finally, speaking of holidays, I do like to celebrate and be festive although my craftiness is pretty limited. I just took down my one Valentine's Day decoration a week ago and put up my one Easter decoration. See, like I said: limited
If you want a print for yourself or others , you can get one free HERE
2 comments:
I read the article and ultimately I decided that instead of getting angry with what other people are doing for her kids, she should just flat out tell her kids that every family is different and has different things they like to do. I am sure her family does fun things that other families don't. My kids get birthday parties every 4 years and they are not extravagant. Kenzi's friends get birthday parties every year. My kids ask me every year to have a party and they answer is no because we do other fun things. That doesn't make me a terrible mother. It is just not my cup of tea. Am I making any sense? However, I am a gift giver and love to give them a little something every holiday- my creativity flows when it comes to holiday fun because it is what I like to do. Maybe not someone else's cup of tea though. Okay end of my rant :) Now on to the naughty list.... I am very well seasoned in this area :) I have decided when my kids do stuff like that, that ultimately it boils down to the fact that they are bored. They need something to do. This is why we have a busy jar. I encourage business in this house! When I keep them busy, less naughtiness happens! You are a great parent and doing a good job!
I accidentally commented for this post on the previous post...see below.
Post a Comment