Thursday, December 26, 2013

Merry & Bright {Christmas 2013}

Brooke was bundle of excitement this year on Christmas Eve. She could hardly wait until bedtime and her energy and nonstop chatter tested my patience big time. I tried to keep the kids happy and busy and the house clean until it was time for dinner with Honey and Pinch--which was no easy feat! One of our activities was making sugar cookies for Santa.



 Christmas Eve dinner was short and sweet and delicious. No pictures were taken, but much food was ingested and we came home before the kids started to melt down which is always a big win. Upon arriving home we watched a video portraying the Nativity. Then, as it was time to get ready for bed the kids got to open new pajamas.
  I even got some too!
 After the kids were in bed, Blake and I went to work. After it was all done, we just sat on the couch and enjoyed the atmosphere. All the preparations were done, we were ready, and it was so nice to just relax before the big day.
 Brooke is an early riser. We told her that when she woke up that she needed to stay in her room until we came and got her.

The morning went relatively smooth. Mr. P had two timeouts because he'd adopted the "what's yours is mine" mentality and kept trying to take everyone's presents. Porter loved to sit in my lap and help unwrap presents and he'd go "ooh" over everything.



 Brooke "bought" presents for Blake and Porter and she was so excited to give them. Hopefully this is the start of the idea that Christmas is more about giving to others.







We've made a tradition of having Honey and Pinch over for Christmas breakfast. They brought the kids some fun gifts and movies. Porter got his very first camo outfit complete with an orange beanie. Blake wasted no time changing Porter into it.
Brooke and Honey talking about life.
This is our awesome birdhouse that Blake's dad made for our family. Everything is handmade and many hours were spent putting this together for us. We love it! Brooke can hardly wait to put it outside.
After we cleaned up from the morning we went sledding. This time, instead of Pinch's field we went up on the mountain. We found a road that isn't plowed, but has been snow-packed from all the snowmobiles. We hooked the sled onto Blake's four-wheeler and away we went for miles and miles! Porter road with Blake while Brooke and I road in the sled. It was a beautiful day and fun to be outside together.


One last ride with Dad before heading home

After sledding, we came home and ate lunch. Blake went out to do a little hunting (he ended up shooting a cow elk) while the kids and I relaxed at home.

*All Christmas Day Brooke kept asking for more "beef stroganoff". She meant egg nog.
*During the prayer for breakfast Christmas morning Brooke said, "...and I hope Heavenly Father has a good birthday today" She meant Jesus, but it make Blake and I smile. Some of our talks this past week have started to sink in, I think.
*This Christmas I really wanted my testimony of our Savior and his birth to grow. I had several special experiences through music and the testimonies of others to have that happen. I could identify with the angel proclaiming tidings of great joy and the shepherds seeking out a babe lying in a manager. It had happened! The time was finally here! A Savior for the world had been born. We celebrate him and my love for this season and it's true meaning has been magnified. I am grateful for the experience I had and for the Christmas season.

2 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

Wow! You are so on top of things getting Christmas written down! I would love to go sledding on Christmas morning with a 4 wheeler. That sounds like so much fun!! Beef Stroganoff! Hilarious!

Ryanne said...

I love your new jammies. Sounds like it was a great Christmas. How did Blake like his gift? That birdhouse is a masterpiece, its needs to be on display, not outside! What a great family gift.