Tuesday, December 22, 2015

December Part 2

  December is always a fun, crazy, and hectic month. This year was no different. I took advantage of every opportunity I had with the older two kids gone to shop for Christmas and wrap presents. Grant was my little sidekick for most of it. He loved playing with this box. Funny enough, it's actually a present for him!
 Grant gets jealous of the older two getting to go outside.




 On December 12 we traveled out to Blake's extended family Christmas party. We always do The Nativity and this year we were short on kids willing to participate. Brooke wanted to be in it but Porter was too busy playing with toys in the nursery and Grant wouldn't hold still long enough.


 We are not Star Wars fans at our house but this "robot" we got in a box of cereal has been Porter's favorite toy. One day he couldn't find it and was so upset. After tearing apart the house, he says "Oh yeah! I remember where it is!" I laughed and laughed when he showed me where it was.
 On December 16 the entire first grade did a performance of The Nutcracker. 125 first grade students acted and danced. It was so cute and very well done. Brooke was a party girl and had a blast performing.





 Random pictures of Grant getting into mischief


 The first day of Christmas break we made gingerbread houses. The kids loved it and I love that they are getting older and don't need as much help from mom. I love seeing what they can come up with.







 As the Christmas season is upon us, I always worry that my kids will miss the true meaning for the season. I want the season to be magical for them & to enjoy all the fun festivities, but I also want them to recognize that it's bigger than Santa and bigger than presents. It's hard at their ages, I know, but this year I really felt like Brooke was starting to understand why we celebrate. Last night during family home evening, we watched a short video portraying The Nativity. I was so touched when Brooke asked if she could watch it again. I have been touched several times this season as the Spirit as helped me to understand that I don't have to run myself ragged trying to give them a perfect holiday, instead focusing more on the aspect of "being still" and taking advantage of the comfort only The Prince of Peace can bring . I especially loved the lesson in a story I read called "The Christmas Apron" In it, the main character reflects that you can't find the spirit of Christmas "around you", it's what's in our hearts. I took this to mean that I will feel the Christmas Spirit stronger, and all year round, if I focus on having a closer relationship with my Savior. I hope to put my thoughts into actions this next year.


No comments: