Saturday, September 25, 2010

Honey Do's

It's been another crazy week. Since we don't live in the city limits, it takes more than just one quick call to get our utilities turned on. I've had to call:
water & sewer co.
garbage co. (this was the most annoying. There are quite a few private garbage co.'s in this town. I had to make 3 different calls before I found the one who provided us with our black garbage cans)
electric co.
gas co.
each seperately in order to make sure we get continued service. I know it's not that big of a deal, but when you are still relatively new to this town and the phone book you are using is absolutely no help at all and people act like I should just know this stuff--I started to get a wee ticked off.
Besides utilities, here are the other things on our honey do list this week:
*Pull out carpet--Check!

Who knew it was so dirty under your carpet?!

*Pry up staples left behind from carpet that are embedded into the floors--Check! That task was terrible. I hope none of you ever have to sit hunched over with a pair of plyers yanking 100s of industrial strength staples from the floor & scraping up bits of carpet glue. But it's done!

*Get rest of the house panted--should be done by tonight! Blake has a contractor friend who is going to lend us his professional paint equipment (i.e. a sprayer) & that is what Blake is doing as we speak. Cross your fingers we can get it all done in one day!

*Order Carpet--the goal is to have it ordered by next week. We've already been waiting a week for the person to come measure our house so we know how much to order. If he doesn't come soon I might lose it. I am a very punctual person, so if someone says they will be there on a certain day that's what I expect.

*Install new doors on the all the closets and bed/bath rooms. We've got them ordered, just waiting for them to arrive.

*Move in!!

I would consider what we are doing to be a pretty minor renovation. We're not moving walls or changing the kitchen cabinets. But it is still a lot more time/work/energy that I thought it would be. I can definitely appreciate those of you who have survived a bigger reno that this!

And on a Brooke note, my friend Marilyn made her this super cute crayon roll and Brooke loves it!

Brooke is really starting to enjoy coloring and doing little crafts. This crayon roll is perfect for the diaper bag and coloring at church or while we are working on the house. And speaking of crafts, here are a few other things Brooke has brought home with her from the sitter's house:

I love Brooke's little scribbles on the paper cup and bunny. I am trying to resist the urge to be a pack rat and hold onto every little thing, so taking pictures of it will have to do.

And finally, it's been a while since I've shared a Brooke video. I was attempting to get her to show off some of her new words and animal sounds.She is usually pretty good with sounds, but of course the camera was on so it was a no go. Also the guy next door was mowing his lawn and Brooke was convinced it was Blake over there and kept saying "da-da?" Oh life with an almost 2 year old is never boring, that's for sure!

7 comments:

Sarah H. said...

Wow Brooke has gotten so big. It's crazy to see her sitting and coloring...she is growing up so fast!
Good luck with all the renovations...minor as they maybe! I bet you are very excited to get into your own space.

PS...Kristen Bell played in the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall, When in Rome and Couples Retreat...She's not a huge name yet. She was on last months cover of Shape that was the only way I even remembered her name with her face! Either way it was fun to see a famous person.

Courtney said...

I have pulled out staples. I agree it SUCKS! I am incredibly jealous that you have the opportunity to do all this stuff before you move in. I think that is what I will do next time. Now I just talk about doing some stuff to our house and never do it.

I LOVE the crayon roll! It is super cute! I agree about being a pack rat with all their cute little things they bring home. I still need to go through Caden's Kindergarten and Preschool stuff. Caden tends to get upset if I throw it right away.

Ryanne said...

Reggie's sis made crayon rolls for my kids and they are great! You guys are really moving on the renovations; good for you. Does Brooke behave while you do it all?

Nicole said...

Can I just eat her! She is so stinking cute! I love her little chatter and the crafts are precious. I save some things but take pictures of everything else. Thanks for the video! Oh and when we ripped up our carpet there was a trail of dirt right where we walked including the slight turn to make it to the door. SO gross!

Kolbi Young said...

Thankfully you don't have to live amongst the renovations!!! And crazy as it is, in South Jordan I had to make all the individual utility calls too. No streamlined, efficient one stop shopping! AND I had to go to the city office building to sign up for garbage cans. WHAT? But once they're on, you'll be set and won't have to think about it again (until the bills arrive ;).


Love Brooke's projects. Tyler bought Ryker some crayons and a coloring book, hoping he'd enjoy the activity. He was so disappointed when Ryker could care less - maybe a few more months!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on closing! I haven't talked to you guys forever! I pulled out staples in one of Kents house renos, sorry we weren't there to help. Can't wait to see it!!!

The Sugar Loaf said...

Well, I think this is the 50th time we have watched Brooke. It is so fun to hear her talk. 'House' is very articulate. Someone must be a teacher....Thanks for the video. But where did the little baby go?