Thursday, September 2, 2010

When she's good, she's great

...But when she's not, you better run for cover!! I think the terrible 2's have come early to our house and it's time to take some lessons from Super Nanny and implement a "naughty chair" or someting. I think I have been in denial up to this point and kept using the excuse "well, she's still a baby and she doesn't know any better." But we've gotten to the point where I know she knows better than to grab my glasses off my face or to throw a fit when I take away something that is dangerous (like a knife out of the dishwasher) and then try to bite or hit me. Saying "no" or "stop" doesn't even begin to phase her. But she tells us no all the time. Brooke has decided that she is a big girl now and doesn't need to hold my hand as we walk down the stairs. She doesn't want me to hold the book and read to her. She has to hold the book and read it in her baby language. She also doesn't need me to break her food into little pieces for her anymore; she wants to do it. She also wants to hold a fistfull of food at all times. I am constantly telling her "eat that or we'll throw it away" and she'll hurriedly put in her mouth, only to find that an hour later I am wondering why she isn't using her left hand and realize she is still holding onto that food!

But like I said, she when she's good, it's great. Brooke loves to help me unload the dishwasher, sweep, dust, and throw things in the trash (besides her food of course). I made scrambled eggs the other day and as I was whisking, Brooke got a bowl out and the feather duster and was doing her own "whisking" right next to me. She has also had a vocabulary and toothing explosion. Almost all of her teeth are in or in the process of coming in right now (I will be so happy when we are done with teething!) and she has added tons of words and can repeat back to us most simple words and phrases (not that she uses them all the time). But it's been fun to listen to her gibberish turn into words we can actually understand. Most of it is still gibberish, but every once in a while there will be a word like "hot" or something mixed in.

Things with Brooke's new sitter are going really well. I couldn't have found a more loving, organized, happy person to take care of Brooke while I'm away. I love the social interaction Brooke is getting too. I picked Brooke up earlier this week and when I walked in Brooke and 4 other little girls were sitting around the kitchen table eating a snack. They were all jabbering away and giggling together. It makes me happy to know that Brooke has some little friends to play with.

Finally, I finished Mockingjay! I loved it and want to know what you all thought of it too.

12 comments:

Aloha_Misty said...

That sounds so much like what I am going through with Jake. It is rough isn't it! I had to move all the knifes above the fridge and am going to have to install safety locks on every drawer this week.

The Crace's said...

It just gets worse. Many times I have come downstairs to find Owen on the counter to get things off of the fridge or his vitamins out of the cupboard which he managed to open with the child lock. Glad you really like the sitter. I'm sure it helps knowing Brooke is in good hands when you are away.

Carolyn said...

Not to scare you, but I think ages 2-4 are so hard! The sass, the naughtiness. It is a fun age too, and hopefully it will be much more fun than hard. My baby will probably stay my baby, so maybe I won't look as negatively on his negative behavior. (did you catch all that? :)

Anonymous said...

Ahh parenthood. I either want to kick them in the butt or hug them to death! Just enjoy what ya can, it all goes so fast.

Unknown said...

I have a whole binder full of articles on children's behavior that I saved from Parents magazine if you are ever interested. I also have a really great book called The Power of Positive Parenting that is my favorite. I know it can be hard to look at things this way, but one good thing about a child acting out is that they are able to think for themselves. They usually aren't trying to be bad, they are just trying to exert their independence, and that's a good thing. It doesn't mean we don't have to set limits, though, which is always the hard part. I liked Mockingjay, but it wasn't my favorite of the series. I know a lot of people (myself included) are a little disappointed about the way things rolled out with Peeta, but I think it was probably a good thing, for the most part. It made the characters more realistic and made the ending seem more. . . deserved? Is that the word I'm looking for? So what did you think?

Nicole said...

I am not reading any of the previous comments in case of spoilage for the Mockingjay. Carter finally finished it and I am on page 60. But this post had me laughing right out loud at Brooke and her little antics. Rest assured she understands every word that comes out of your mouth and wants to push your limits in order to establish hers. Naughty chairs are the best. Just ask Carter who is up to 13 minutes on one for every time he argues with me.

Hoenes Family said...

Yes, I must agree with others that 2-4 are the most trying (at least, that is all I know thus far!) My Brooke is also starting in to the independance stage. She says things like "I do it myself", "Stop!", and "Time out!". Oh let the good times roll! Loved Mockingjay. Slow going at the beginning, but really liked the ending. I think it is so symbolic. I.E. United States represents "the captiol" and 3rd world countries are the "districts". Sad but true. I hate that it is that way.

Sarah said...

I agree, it just gets worse. I wish I had encouraging words of wisdom, but I don't. When it first started, I would stare at Sophie and think, "What happened to my sweet little girl?" as well as, "If I can't handle her now, what is she going to be like as a teenager?!?" I am learning to pick my battles. I am also reading "Raising Your Spirit Child." I don't know Brooke at all, but it is SO Sophie.

I have been dying to get my hands on Mockingjay. I will have to wait to read the reviews until I finish it. I liked "The Hunger Games" better than "Catching Fire." To be critical, I thought CF was too slow at the beginning and too much of a repeat of HG. Any growth/change the characters had during HG seemed obsolete and it was like they started all over in CF. For the most part, I still liked them both.

Ryanne said...

I think the quest for independence and the parental job of figuring out how to let them have the right amount happens at every new stage. Brooke definitely wants to assert all her new skills and independence and I'm facing it with Senneca too in her own way!

Air Force Blues said...

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! We always said Makena was in training for the terrible twos for a year, then she had it perfected for two, and now she has entered into terrible three's. Super Nanny is our fav. The naught chair is right on. Chris' favorite way to descibe Makena's behavior is that she balances her halo on top of her horns.

Kolbi Young said...

I love having Brooke six months older than Ryker, so I know what to expect and what is to come. Tyler is a huge proponent of the "Parenting with Love and Logic" theories. He uses it with all of his family counseling. I however, have not read the books as he has implored me to do since we found out we were pregnant. One day.....but if you're looking for a highly recommended parenting approach, there you go.

I love the quote above about the horns and halo. Isn't that the truth? Good luck and congrats on the house!!!! Just thrilled for you guys! Can't wait to see interior photos.

The Sugar Loaf said...

I usually don't read others' posts but Nicole's just cracks me up. Poor Carter and 13 minutes. We had corners. 'Go to the corner.' I remember 'Corners' myself and they were pretty boring.
Thanks for the post. It is so fun to hear of your comings-and goings. The mountain looks so beautiful. We have not been to Spirit Lake either but it looks nice. And Brooke crying..I didn't think that little Girl ever did.
I love the photo of Blake and Brooke walking the trail. It made me get all teary remembering Blake and I doing the same thing. He was always by my side when we went walking.
Honest, enjoy these times. Danielle is so right...it goes way to fast. Glad school is going good. Oh middle school girls and rolling eyes-you just want to whack them to the side of the head. Obnoxious boys are better than eye=rolling preteen girls. How lucky they are to have you as their teacher. Who would ever complain about reading? And someday they will wish they could-right?
Love you. Must go see The Centurian-bloody guts all over-great movie! Yep, we break mission rules all the time. Seen more movies here than at home. Don't tell the Pres that though.
Again-love you three.