Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The story of a Blanket & a Happy Girl who Poked her Hand

We watched "Sleeping Beauty" on Monday night and Brooke was so concerned about Aurora. All through the movie Brooke kept asking "What happin?" and I would do my best to try and explain it in two year terms: "She's sad. That lady is mean to her. She poked her finger. She's asleep. Oh look! She's awake now." It was so cute because the first thing she said when she woke up Tuesday morning was "Girl...she happy. She poke-it...her hand" And Brooke has been talking about it ever since. Also, we finally got Brooke to sit still long enough to show off for the camera a little bit. Of course it had to be in the tub (no escape). First, she does animal noises and her scary roar, then she gets distracted and tries to drink the bathwater, and finally she sings "Popcorn Popping" with Blake and I. It's pretty cute. Notice her headband? She had to wear it while taking a bath.

Now to the blanket. Blake really wanted us to make our own blanket for our bed. He dreams about this soft flannel quilt he had in high school and wanted another one. I was against it because making a blanket is more expensive than just buying one. Plus we couldn't ever decide on material. Blake wanted the blanket to go on top of our other ones, and I only did if I could choose the material. We compromised finally by agreeing that Blake could choose the material, but our white comforter would still go on top.

Our sewing skills are limited, so we tied it. And here is the finished productI do have to admit, that it is pretty soft and warm!

Finally, my friend Sandy put links to these things on her blog and I thought they were pretty awesome so I am sharing them too. They are cards you can print out (just like a 4x6 picture) and then put into little books for your kids to look at during church (I just put the cards into the cheapest photo albums I could find. Wal-mart has some for $1). I love them! Even though Brooke can't read, she still loves to look at the pictures, and someday she can read and learn about them. There are almost 70 pictures to print, and Walgreens is doing a special: buy 25 prints, get 25 prints free using the code Double25 until January 15. You should be able to click on the picture and it will take you to the website where you can download (for free!) the different books they have.

Here are the different themes you can print:

We Believe

Book of Mormom Stories


Prophets and Apostles
Articles of Faith
Primary Theme Cards for 2011

11 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

Awesome! Thanks for the link! I am totally ordering prints as I write this! I just hope I don't have a problem printing them..... I hope printing the terms of use in there is enough for Walgreens to prove I am not a fraud! Great job on the blanket! It looks nice and warm!

emily ballard said...

I love that you made the quilt together. Thanks for posting the church books. I want to re-post to share with others, if that's okay?

Courtney said...

Emily, that's totally ok! I'm glad you liked the link!

Ryanne said...

Great post! I'm going to look at the cards tonight when the kids are in bed, they should be perfect.

Sarah said...

Wow! Those cards are great! I am going to print them and spread the word on my blog, too. Thank you!

Kolbi Young said...

I used these cards to create flip books a month or so ago on Snapfish. So easy, and spiral bound at the top. They came to about $5 each (+ coupon). Even though Ryker is still too young, I couldn't resist getting them. But I did think that the Prophet and Apostles book would be great for adults around conference. Lots of info I didn't know!

Your quilt will be a great layer in the winter! We got one for our wedding which has cabins, bears, fish, etc on it. Not my style but it is good for winter. Plus that is what beadspreads are for!

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

This was an awesome post. A little of everything. I loved watching Brooke sing. She is so cute. You guys are the best parents. The quilt looks so good! Way to go! And as for the church books...going to do it before Sunday! I might even make two copies and give them to 7 little children who sit behind us in church. Thanks Courtney!

Nicole said...

OK what is the deal with men and the need for what they had as children!! I had to tell JaDee in no uncertain terms I was never going to make TaterTot casserole and I was never going to cook steak as well done as he was used to eating it either. My friend has a husband who won't let her paint her walls anything but white because that was what he grew up with. And JaDee's cousin's husband fights with her over Christmas traditions! And now the blanket on the bed!! Really, do these boys think they are in charge? If they want a nice comfortable home then leave it to the wife to provide that for them. If they want to stay home and wipe the boogers then they get to choose the bedspread.

With that said, it looks good Sis. Your ties are so close together and it looks great! I love the quiet books too. I think I might see about getting me some of those made!

Cara said...

That is so cute how Brooke keeps talking about Sleeping Beauty! I totally remember Marin doing the very same thing... except it was the part on Cinderella where Lucifer the cat gets milk sprayed in his face. She'd wake up in the morning saying "Funny, cat, milk, face..." and say it all day. Thanks for the cards too, maybe this will help us not be the loudest family in the ward!

Merrell Family said...

Thanks so much for the links to the church books. I was just looking online for some ideas yesterday. Now I'm so excited to make these. Thanks Courtney!

Carolyn said...

Isn't it amazing the things they will remember and be obsessed with from day to day. This age is fun because I keep being surprised by what Grant knows and can do. I love it! The blanket looks awesome. I have had jean squares and flannel sitting in my house for years, just waiting to be made into a quilt. I'm afraid it will never happen...