Friday, February 18, 2011

Brain Turning to Mush

My Father-in-law and I when he surprised me at school on Valentine's Day.

I think you know you have hit an all time low when you start blogging about the weather, so that is exactly what I am going to do. We are in an ice box here! It's freezing and a couple Sunday's ago when it hit 30 degrees it seriously felt like a heat wave! People were going outside without coats on and saying how warm it felt. Because it's been so cold, we've done a lot of movie watching at our house. The library has become our new Netflix--I have so many movies on hold there that almost every other day they are calling me telling me something has come in for us to watch. Brooke is obsessed with Monster's Inc and Finding Nemo--she asks for them by name. She also likes "Bear in the Big Blue House"--and watching that with her got me thinking: How do they get a person inside that big bear costume? Is it two people in there?
I also think this weather must be turning my student's brain's to mush too. I took my kids to the computer lab to type their essays and after one student printed his paper he asks "So, how do I get my paper now?" I looked at him and said, "You get out of your chair and go get it!" Seriously?!! Then as if that weren't enough, part of this assignment is to teach kids how to do a works cited page. I have kids trying to tell me that "google" is the name of the website where they got their info. NO!!! And finally, at parent/teacher conferences on Wednesday night another teacher was trying to explain to a parent how his son is always starring off into space when the teacher tries to talk to him and the dad starts doing the exact same thing! So the teacher (honest, I am not making this up) just starts mumbling jibberish and then says "okay, do you have any questions?" and the dad goes "Nope, see ya later" The dad did not even realize what the teacher had just done!! I guess the apple didn't fall very far from the tree on that one! I was laughing for like 20 minutes after that. Even if I start thinking about it I start laughing again. That is priceless!

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel! In a little less than 30 days, Blake and I will be relaxing afloat one of these
and sitting on one of these:
Ahhhhh....I can't wait!! Anyone want to join us?

8 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

Um yeah I want to join you! Where are you guys going?

Ryanne said...

Reggie had a very similar Parent-Teacher experience yesterday! It is true that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Sometimes I wonder why he still loves teaching! Your cruise will be awesome! A whole week to forget about daily life!

mare said...

ha! i hate parent-teacher conferences! they are the worst-- which is too bad-- they should motivate me to help a child, but instead i always feel like, "oh, now that kid's behavior makes sense-- i should give up now."

SO SO jealous of the cruise!

Sarah said...

We are having the same weather here. Last Sunday, the man who gave the opening prayer thanked the Lord for the warm weather and it was in the mid-30s. But it WAS warm to us.

How discouraging as a teacher! At least she was able to find the humor in it. The poor son...

Um, yes, jealous of your cruise. Is it just the two of you?

Courtney said...

Kali, we are going to the southern caribbean for 7 nights. And Sarah, yep, just us, no Brooke!

Nicole said...

jealous. I have decided I can't go places that are warm in the middle of winter because it will just make me mad when I get back. I work too hard to stay positive about our cold snowy weather to ruin it with a week in the sun. Have fun and buy me something cute from small children who depend on your purchase as their only chance to eat for the day. They may be warm but they are still in a 3rd world country! (I think Hallmark is calling, they want me to write greeting cards with my happy outlook on life!)

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

You are always entertaining even when you talk about the weather. My dad in that cowboy hat to too funny! Enjoy the cruise. Blake will get your moneys worth in food.

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous, too, but so excited for you to get out of snowy Vernal and enjoy some sunshine! I hope you have a great time and feel sorry for all of us back in the Basin :) Love the story about the parent teacher conference.