Friday, February 11, 2011

Some more "Happy Days"

On Wednesday I turned another year older (and hopefully got a little wiser too). In the words of Brooke: it was my "happy day" It was funny because the night before I was thinking that even just 10 or so years ago I thought my life couldn't get any better than this. I had friends, was dating, doing all sorts of fun things and thinking about being the age I am now meant I was going to be old....and boring. Oh how your perspective changes! Now at this stage in life I can't imagine life being any better than this. I have a wonderful family, a good home and am, for the most part, happy and content with the way things are. I defintely don't feel old, still have good friends, and although to some my life might seem boring, it still keeps me plenty busy and I have been blessed with more than I deserve.

Usually I shy away from being the center of attention. But my birthday is the exception to this! Blake sent flowers to my school. My in-laws sent cupcakes for all the teachers at lunchtime, and the counselors interrupted one of my classes to have my students sing to me and brought me a Dr. Pepper and a Twix bar (my favorite treats). After school my in-laws watched Brooke for us so Blake and I could go have dinner on the mountain at one of the lodges. Blake got me a really nice certificate to a salon/spa to get "the works" done before our vacation in March. Then I got home and opened this awesome present from my sister. She has become quite the crafty lady and everything was handmade. I have been admiring her handy-work for a while so she sent me a goody-bag of some of her projects.
I had to model the cute hat, purse and slippers: this is my attempt at posing. Hand-knit slippers! Who knew you could make such a thing?! I am majorly impressed, sis!
We went to my in-laws for cake and icecream. Brooke helped me blow out the candles and thought singing was really fun. And she loved sticking her finger in the icing, but really wasn't so interested in eating an actual piece of cake. Then on Thursday was another happy day. It was Brooke's Valentine's Day party at H.'s house. I am always so impressed with H. For this party, the kids decorated bags, exchanged Valentine's, did a craft and frosted sugar cookies.Brooke and her bag (somehow we lost the B.)
A little heart- butterfuly craft
And last, but not least, Brooke having a grand time with grams and pinch:Can you tell that Brooke loves stickers?
Brooke is a little performer and is singing along

And of course, play dough..

What a goofy girl!

7 comments:

Ryanne said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday and were definitely 'the birthday girl'! I love the cute gifts from Nicole and Brooke is looking more and more like a pre-schooler then a baby.

Our ABC Family said...

I'm glad you had such a good birthday! The gifts are way cute, she did a fabulous job!

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I am glad that so many people took such great care of you. I love the pose! Nicole is amazing...those gifts look difficult.

Nicole said...

woo hoo! You are indeed wiser than 10 years ago. I thought the same thing when I was 17 or so too. So glad you enjoyed your gifts. I loved doing them. Tell Blake that there is tons to do in Alaska! love ya!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you got spoiled for your birthday, you deserve it! And I am always impressed with the things H. does with Brooke at daycare. She really does go the extra mile and Brooke looks like she really enjoys it there.

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like it was an awesome day. I know what you mean about becoming old and boring with age -- I thought the same thing. It IS all about perspective, like you said. Life is what you make of it.

Carolyn said...

Happy Birthday! I'm struggling to get my internet to work right, so I'm going to do a big ol comment about lots of posts I just read. Those crafty things are so cute! I am not at all crafty and so I really appreciate people who can do that. Also, that video of the girl with cerebral palsy was so cool! Also, the throwing poopy thing, yuck. Good for you for sticking with it. I'm pretty sure at that point I would have my kid back in a diaper with duct tape holding it on. And, I love the cute things they say at this age! Grant said "ceuse me" to someone the other day and it was in the right context. It was so cute!