Monday, February 14, 2011

Ghosts of Valentine's Past

So I think I've shared this photo before, but I can't help to share it again. Valentine's Day always brings back tons of memories for me. Valentine's Day 9 years ago was one of mine and Blake's first dates. We went to an institute dance together and the rest is history! Last night Brooke and I made my famous (well, famous to me since I pretty much only make them once a year) sugar cookies for Blake. It was so fun to have her be my little helper.
This is her "I just took a bite of the dough and it was yummy" face.Then she just decided that eating the dough was more fun and that was the end of helping me.
While we were working, Brooke fell off of her chair and she was upset. I knew just what would make her feel better. I almost started tearing up watching her enjoying it. I have the best memories of cooking with my mom and getting to lick the beaters or the bowl. It feels good to be making those kinds of memories, however small, with my own child.

I'm not sure what the rest of V-day will have in store for us--probably a quiet family dinner and a couple of chick flicks afterwords. My father in law volunteered to help deliver flowers for a local flourist shop and low and behold he and my MIL showed up during my first hour class with a rose for me! It totally made my day.

Over the weekend Brooke was really sick. I got a call from my sitter Friday afternoon saying that B. had a temperature of 103. I quickly called Blake and had him pick her up and take her to the doctor. They think she has a sinus infection and got her on antibiotics. It was so sad to see her just laying around. She just wanted me to hold her. We took her home and she just laid by us all day. By Saturday she was feeling better and I kept her home from church yesterday just to give her another day of rest. She was obviously well enough by Sunday night to eat cookie dough and all is well again! This was B.'s first major sickness and I'm sure not the last!

Hope you all get some lovin' today! Happy Valentine's Day!

9 comments:

Kolbi Young said...

Happy Birthday and Valentine's Day!! I thought of you while making our sugar cookies this weekend, figuring to keep with tradition you would be doing the same :) I gave Ryker some dough to play with, but he just made a sticky mess. I think Playdough is still better - ha! If only I could find some edible playdough...

Sorry to hear about Brooke. 103 is scary.....Ryker's had a bug since last week - another reason I hate this time of year!

Sarah H. said...

How cute!! I really wanted to make sugar cookies last night but kept getting distracted...But that is my favorite part of Valentine's day!

Nicole said...

JaDee got me chocolates, but I am racing Dad to see who loses the next 9 pounds...(he is winning) and so I gave them to Carter who was scrambling this morning to come up with an anonymous Valentine gift for the girl he likes. He was so cute and had me take him into school early so he could drop off his gift to his crush's first hour teacher to give to her.

Hoenes Family said...

Hooray for licking the beaters!!! I didn't reallize that our birthday's were so close! I am WAY impressed that this is the first time Brooke has been really sick. Wish I could say that for my Brooke.....she got way sick at 5 weeks old! Hooray for inconsiderate people!!! Happy Valentine's to you!

Kristin Wilkerson said...

So cute. I'm a terrible sugar cookie maker.

Sarah said...

I love that picture of you and Blake from the dance. Spencer and I met at an institute, too. Hooray for institutes! Sorry to hear about Brooke, but that is great she is back to normal. Cookies are a great pick-me-up.

Ryanne said...

I'm glad Brooke was feeling better by Sunday night. Hope your V-day was good.

Mrs. Stephanie Finlayson said...

Sick kids is scary. Especially when they are young like Brooke because they can't tell you what is wrong. I actually remember kind of liking when my kids were a little sick because we cuddled all day watching movies and napping together. The other stuff in life just disappeared during those moments. Give her a kiss for me. By the way...nothing shows love more than sugar cookies.

The Sugar Loaf said...

I appreciate you being such a good Mom and for Blake being such a good Daddy. I know the little one is well taken care of each and every day. She is so special. A gift from God for sure. May you know of our love for you three. How blessed we are to see you often.