1.I told a friend before I left that my 3 biggest worries were 1)having my stuff stolen 2)getting murdered (the Bahamas and Carribean rank the highest in tourist murders) and 3)missing the boat at one of the ports. Since none of those things happened, I'd say it was a successful trip!
2. Did you know that banana trees are actually banana plants? The plants only produce one bunch of bananas per plant and then it is cut down. Isn't that crazy? You would think bananas would be a lot more expensive than they are.
3. Our friends TJ and Katie are from North Dakota from a town of only 200 people (and I thought my town was small!) Anyway, they have very thick accents (think the movie "Fargo") and one person even asked them if they were from Ireland. What?! Too funny!
4. We did a couple of excusions through the ship, but they are pretty expensive. So most days we would try to find taxi's or local companies to take us places and do activities. We were standing in line for a taxi to Cane's Bay in St. Croix and we paid for a round trip ticket. The lady at the front table said to everyone, "We are not responsible if our drivers leave you, or don't come back to pick you up" Blake and I just looked at each other with wide eyes. We get up to pay for our ticket and Blake says "Oh please come back for us! We don't have enough money to pay for another ticket!" They did indeed come back for us, for which we were very grateful!
5. There was a sign on one of the beaches that said, "No You Litter!!" Being the English nerd that I am, I got a good chuckle out of it.
6. Dominica has active volcoanoes so they have black sand beaches.
7. Nowhere on the boat, or on a any of the islands were there Pepsi/Dr. Pepper products. I was dying for one.
8. We got to try some interesting foods on the boat like lamb shank and escargo (Both were yummy by the way!)
While we were gone, though, Brooke had a vacation of her own with Honey and Pinch:
Cousins Jack and Isabel came to play:
Brooke got to ride the tractor with Pinch:And help plant a row of peas
She helped Honey wash dishesAnd did lots and lots of crafts...
She watched "Nemo" and "Inc" (Monster's Inc) and they even braved taking her to a movie at the theater. Blake and I haven't even done that yet! They said she did great until the last 15-20 minutes.
There was lots of chocolate...
And some outdoor time... Of course when we got home we couldn't wait to kiss and hug our Brooke trout!
Thank you, thank you for taking such good care of Brooke while were gone and taking all the pictures too. We couldn't have done a vacation like this without someone to love and care for B. as much as we do!
9 comments:
Sounds like an awesome trip! I bet it was nice to be able to Brooke with loved ones and not have to worry about her.
That is so great you have family so close to watch Brooke. I miss that about living close to family. Looks like she had quite a fun time!
She is so cute! I'm glad you were able to get away and have a good time! I so want to do a fun cruise like that someday!
How cute! It looks like Brooke had a lot of fun too! It is fun to hear about your cruise! I am glad you had such a good time.
You guys are lucky to have them so close. And I think you guys looked great in your pictures so don't feel bad if that's why you're really looking at them ;) I know there are banana trees too because I saw some in Israel when I was there. I didn't know about banana plants though.
I took some pics of the trees. The tour guide told us that everyone thinks they are trees, but technically they are plants because of the way they grow. toh-may-toe, toh-mah-tow, I'm sure :)
I love Brooke planing peas and driving the tractor. And I am so glad you didn't get murdered in the Carribean. Wha t would you do if you missed the boat? I am totally going with you guys since you know your way around!
I'm so glad Brookie had so much fun! I got a text from my mom while we were away saying, "Ryker loves Capri Suns, circus peanuts and McDonald's playland"....Oh boy! All the things Mom doesn't give him. That's what grandparents are for - I guess ;)
Love your additional vacation anecdotes...I may have to add this, as there are just too many stories to forget ;) Tyler was dying for a Dr. Pepper too! Finally found a few cans at the Pharmacy of all places!
What a delight to hear a little voice in the morning, or a giggle during a movie, or a sweet little mimmick of a prayer. It was a joy to watch Brooke. Yes, we did do Time Out but only because we were told too-and Brooke did need it sometimes but not often.
It will be a trip remembered by all of us. Thanks for the blog Courtney. Glad you and Blake were able to get away.
Post a Comment